The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Another factor IIRC,  was the previous year's semi at Hillsborough was between the same two teams, but that year the Liverpool fans had the bigger opposite Kop stand,  the same end we had in '74. It's a long time since I've been to Hillsborough, so I don't recall the street layout outside, but I'm sure it made more sense logistically having the Liverpool fans at the other end.

They had the same ends and there's plenty of Lpool fans who say that lessons were not learnt or passed on as there were some of the issues in the '88 game as well. There's speculation that Duckenfield was given the role just before the SYP's biggest event of the year as a public smack in the face to the bloke he replaced (he'd been held accountable for a trick played by some coppers on a new recruit). It's madness to think that but for a prank all this may have been avoided.

Mamadou Sakho has decided not to challenge the results of his failed drugs test and is not expected to play for Liverpool again this season.

Sakho, 26, tested positive for what is thought to be a type of fat burner after the Europa League win against Manchester United 17 March.

He had until Tuesday to request a test of his B sample, but opted not to.

Silly silly boy. Is it a 7-9 month ban usually for stuff like this?

Mamadou Sakho has decided not to challenge the results of his failed drugs test and is not expected to play for Liverpool again this season.

Sakho, 26, tested positive for what is thought to be a type of fat burner after the Europa League win against Manchester United 17 March.

He had until Tuesday to request a test of his B sample, but opted not to.

Silly silly boy. Is it a 7-9 month ban usually for stuff like this?

Kolo Toure got 6 month if I remember rightly.

As I was dragged to the entire FA Cup run that Coventry City had in 1987, as a good luck charm by mates, I experienced both ends of Hillsborough. It was awful at the Leppings Lane end and I'm amazed that nothing on the scale of what happened to the Liverpool supporters had happened before. To be honest, it was quite bad in their big Kop too, but none worse than the Victoria Ground, where 8000 Cov fans were put in the middle section behind the goal, instead of the whole of the end, like what happened at Hillsborough to the Liverpool fans. It was fucking horrible when Coventry scored, because the surges came from all directions, and there literally was nowhere to go.

Guest firetotheworks

That Guardian article, particularly the bit about the dad trying to save both of his daughters was awful, but well worth reading.

Is there no comeback on Liverpool as a team ref the failed drug test? You cant imagine Dortmund are too happy to learn one of the guys who scored late on to knock them out was using illegal drugs.

No.  The club are only penalised if 2 or more players fail a drugs test.  It is assumed if it is a single player that he has probably acted without the club's knowledge.  More than one player, then it could be down to the club.

As I was dragged to the entire FA Cup run that Coventry City had in 1987, as a good luck charm by mates, I experienced both ends of Hillsborough. It was awful at the Leppings Lane end and I'm amazed that nothing on the scale of what happened to the Liverpool supporters had happened before. To be honest, it was quite bad in their big Kop too, but none worse than the Victoria Ground, where 8000 Cov fans were put in the middle section behind the goal, instead of the whole of the end, like what happened at Hillsborough to the Liverpool fans. It was f***ing horrible when Coventry scored, because the surges came from all directions, and there literally was nowhere to go.

There were thirty odd injuries in a crush at the Leppings Lane end at a Cup semifinal in 1981. I think they were Spurs fans. The FA reacted by taking semifinals away from Hillsborough. During the mid eighties, that terrace was divided into pens with fences. The safety certificate was never reviewed and it was assumed that the police would direct fans into the respective pens. For whatever reason, the FA decided to use Hillsborough again and the police apparently did direct fans into the pens as agreed. Until 1989 that is, when the senior officers were changed.

As I was dragged to the entire FA Cup run that Coventry City had in 1987, as a good luck charm by mates, I experienced both ends of Hillsborough. It was awful at the Leppings Lane end and I'm amazed that nothing on the scale of what happened to the Liverpool supporters had happened before. To be honest, it was quite bad in their big Kop too, but none worse than the Victoria Ground, where 8000 Cov fans were put in the middle section behind the goal, instead of the whole of the end, like what happened at Hillsborough to the Liverpool fans. It was f***ing horrible when Coventry scored, because the surges came from all directions, and there literally was nowhere to go.

There were thirty odd injuries in a crush at the Leppings Lane end at a Cup semifinal in 1981. I think they were Spurs fans. The FA reacted by taking semifinals away from Hillsborough. During the mid eighties, that terrace was divided into pens with fences. The safety certificate was never reviewed and it was assumed that the police would direct fans into the respective pens. For whatever reason, the FA decided to use Hillsborough again and the police apparently did direct fans into the pens as agreed. Until 1989 that is, when the senior officers were changed.

Yeah Spurs vs Wolves 81.

The Police's actions on the day were terrible but not for one minute do i think they meant to kill anyone. But what happened did cost lives, so the police are to blame, in exactly the way they were found to be today, unlawful deaths down to their actions. The stadium standards back then wouldn't have helped either but that's not an excuse for them.

But the cover up is the single most abhorrent thing. The police being inept at their job isn't a crime, covering up The Hillsborough Disaster to save your own skin is. There are no excuses for that and those responsible for it should have the full force of justice thrown at them.

Agreed.