The Liverpool Thread

Parky

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Every time I have seen Wijnaldum play this season (admittedly mainly highlights) he seems pathologically 'safe'. It is as if his main rule is 'thou shalt not lose the ball.' Maybe fair enough, and he does have two goals and three assists this season. However, he looks infruriatingly unambitious.

Last season people were speculating that Colback was playing with his stats in mind (pass accuracy/passes completed etc) rather than trying to make things happen. I found this difficult to take seriously. I find myself now having similar thoughts about Wijnaldum. He seems slow, ponderous and allergic to any kind of purposeful and therefore usually 'risky' ball or move. Where are the driving runs, his so-called dribbling strengths? The decisive defence splittting hard to see/harder to hit passes you'd expect from a top player?

Hope I have the wrong idea about him/ and the above is unfair, as I still think he is an incredibly gifted and 'neat' footballer. But, really what is he giving it? What's the point of having him in the team? There must be negative consequences of having the ball go through someone playing as cautiously as he seems to?

Every time I have seen Wijnaldum play this season (admittedly mainly highlights) he seems pathologically 'safe'. It is as if his main rule is 'thou shalt not lose the ball.' Maybe fair enough, and he does have two goals and three assists this season. However, he looks infruriatingly unambitious.

Last season people were speculating that Colback was playing with his stats in mind (pass accuracy/passes completed etc) rather than trying to make things happen. I found this difficult to take seriously. I find myself now having similar thoughts about Wijnaldum. He seems slow, ponderous and allergic to any kind of purposeful and therefore usually 'risky' ball or move. Where are the driving runs, his so-called dribbling strengths? The decisive defence splittting hard to see/harder to hit passes you'd expect from a top player?

Hope I have the wrong idea about him/ and the above is unfair, as I still think he is an incredibly gifted and 'neat' footballer. But, really what is he giving it? What's the point of having him in the team? There must be negative consequences of having the ball go through someone playing as cautiously as he seems to?

He was the same last season like. Always just kept it safe

2-3 would be appropriate.

Consensus on RAWK seems to be that Klopp has completely run the team into the ground over the first half of the season and they've nothing left. Not sure I'm buying.

Consensus on RAWK seems to be that Klopp has completely run the team into the ground over the first half of the season and they've nothing left. Not sure I'm buying.

There's an element of that. We were so good and so fast and energetic early on, it seems to have caught up with some. Also losing Mane to the AFCON and Matip. Throw in the inability to find a good reliable keeper, which is a festering fucking sore, and a lack of leadership and grunt, and you have what we have now. Stasis. In particular an inability to beat teams in the lower half of the table who stick everyone behind the ball and hope to grab something from a set piece or a counter..

I love Klopp. He clearly needs time. But we are awful at the moment and the worrying thing is that we don't seem close to solving it.

It has been said of Klopp before. They really do have a terrific-looking run-in to the end of the season though - they would not need to pull off any particularly shocking wins to win the last eight games, after the Anfield derby. I still think they have a good chance of top four, although I fully expect Chelsea to walk away with the league.

Guest Howaythetoon

As much as I love Klopp, I don't think he will ever get LFC to a league title or even close. Cups, CL qualification and attacking football yes, but not the league title and that's because I don't think tactically he's calculated enough which is sad because it says more about modern football than him and his ideas. To get close, LFC need to spend about 150m or so as their team is bang average. In many ways he's over achieving with the payers he has. Coutinho is a very good player, but he's not top-class. He's basically similar to HBA in that regards.

I dunno I think it's actually the case that that their squad isn't hugely strong. Lots of 'good' players, noone like Lewandowski he had at Bayern. I don't think it's a league winning team. Needs an upgrade right up the spine of the team. (An expensive one at that)

I dunno I think it's actually the case that that their squad isn't hugely strong. Lots of 'good' players, noone like Lewandowski he had at Bayern. I don't think it's a league winning team. Needs an upgrade right up the spine of the team. (An expensive one at that)

This post makes literally zero sense :lol:

As much as I love Klopp, I don't think he will ever get LFC to a league title or even close. Cups, CL qualification and attacking football yes, but not the league title and that's because I don't think tactically he's calculated enough which is sad because it says more about modern football than him and his ideas. To get close, LFC need to spend about 150m or so as their team is bang average. In many ways he's over achieving with the payers he has. Coutinho is a very good player, but he's not top-class. He's basically similar to HBA in that regards.

Leicester did win the title last year with a far inferior squad.

Guest Howaythetoon

Leicester did win the title last year with a far inferior squad.

All the stars aligned etc. etc.