Would you rather...

Bowie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The world cup is arguably the biggest sporting event in the world, and winning it would mean being pride and glory for at the very least four years. How many people remember who won the League Cup four years ago?

So, even though I care a hell of a lot more about Newcastle than England (and England is the country I support, forget about Sweden), I'd probably go for the world cup. Saying that though, Newcastle being relegated hurt ten times more than England being knocked out of the world cup.

If we were a successful club it would be the WC everytime , unfortunately we don't have that luxury of a trophy every few years, so Newcastle to win the league cup for me.

But saying that , if Shearer won it as captain in 1998 it would have been just beautiful.

England, or our home nations?

Voted Newcastle.

Should obviously be your home nation.

Anyway, you guys are not allowed to win the World Cup, I don't think I could stand the cuntness of you and the rest of the yanks if you did.

Became very apathetic about England after 06 and McClaren took over, and the team became populated with more of your standard wanker footballers. Fabio's renewed the interest but Newcastle are still streets ahead.

I was thinking the other day, i couldn't remember who England had in the last group stages. Sweden, Trinidad, and someone else. Couldn't for the life of me recall who it was. I can still tell you who Newcastle played in each round of the UEFA Cup in 03 - there's just no contest.

Newcastle all the way.

I chose Newcastle, for me it's club before country. I don't know why it just is. Preferably if we do some day win a trophy though it wpuld be something bigger than the league cup(not that i wouldn't be happy with a league cup win) i just think that an F.A Cup or dare i dream, Premier league or Champions league would make more of a statement and ofcourse would mean so much more and nobody would be able to dismiss it as a mickey mouse trophy.England doesn't seem as personal, i don't get grief from Germans or Argentines about not winning anything for since the sixties like i do from man u, liverpool or Sunderland fans.

Now that i'm older, and more or less know whats happening, i wasnt bothered in the slightest about England going out. I remember being in the town at full time thinking, why the fuck are people going off it? I support Newcastle, and i am quite happy to save my anger when i'm witnessing shit performances away to teams like Bolton. Made me realise how much i love Newcastle when England were put out like, i know some people will think i'm daft but thats just the way i feel about it. Yes, i would've loved to have seen England go on and do well, but hey ho

My country winning the World Cup is the greatest thing that could happen to me in sporting terms other than the Knicks deciding they need a small forward or Newcastle deciding they need a new centreback and calling me. I love NUFC, but that collectie sense is unmatched for a person lke me. You cannot imagine what it would do for these people, what it would do for this country. Again it is probaly different for those who live in Newcastle because of that collective sense.

Actually, I just noticed the poll said England, and that would be awful if they won the World Cup, Newcastle by far :lol:

As soon as I read this thread I thought of you - because I knew you would feel the same way as myself. Now we just need oldtype and other representatives of non-UEFA/CONMEBOL nations to try and describe what winning a World Cup would mean for a nation that has zero chance of winning one (for at least 20 years)

I can't even imagine what it would be like if Australia won the World Cup - in fact, imagining the reactions of the Australian Rules and Rugby League fans and media and assorted bandwagon jumpers I'm not even sure I want to think about it! But I know the genuine football community would lose the plot!

Definitely Australia winning the World Cup. :iamatwat: To compare the World Cup to the League Cup...well... :dowie:

Exactly!!!

The idiotic question has finally got its airing. I want both to win as they don't play in the same competitions. I want the Newcastle Falcons to have good season next year. I want the Newcastle Eagles to continue  being the dominating force in British basketball. I want Durham Cricket Club to continue there success. I want the English rugby team to have a great W/C next year. I want Team GB basketball team to be in & play good basketball @ the London Olympics. I want England cricket team to win the Ashes down under. None before another because when I am watching that team play I am 100% committed to rooting for MY team what form that is in at that time.

The idiotic question has finally got its airing. I want both to win as they don't play in the same competitions. I want the Newcastle Falcons to have good season next year. I want the Newcastle Eagles to continue  being the dominating force in British basketball. I want Durham Cricket Club to continue there success. I want the English rugby team to have a great W/C next year. I want Team GB basketball team to be in & play good basketball @ the London Olympics. I want England cricket team to win the Ashes down under. None before another because when I am watching that team play I am 100% committed to rooting for MY team what form that is in at that time.

Well, the interests of club and country sometimes don't go together. E.g. Rooney being obviously knackered after carrying ManU this season, or how Xavi risked being at the WC by playing with a tear in his muscle during the last league games.

...and the team became populated with more of your standard wanker footballers.

I don't see how this can be a negative point for England, yet not even mentioned as a negative for Newcastle.

Newcastle winning the league hands down.

Cant believe people would want England to do well over Newcastle especially with all the shit the club has been dredged through and all the crap the media has heaped on us.

:lol: Such interesting logic.

Maybe some people really, really don't care about the LC, but I just don't rate it highly. It doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy it / want to go to the final.

Also, it would be very naive to think 1 league cup win would 'get the press off our back'

I've been losing interest in England over the last few years anyway...the hype, the bullshit, the boring friendlies, the same players picked all the time, wembly costing the best part of a billion quid and wasn't needed as we have a whole country full of decent stadiums now, the wembly pitch, The FA, the england regular players being dicks, england supporters at tournaments, the media surrouding England, new england shirts costing a fortune, always being by Umbro cos they are an english company BUT WE HAVE A FUCKING ITALIAN MANAGER, England not being able to pass a ball, long balls, the big man little man up front, Heskey, Lampard, Gerrard in the same team, 3 lions (which is fucking french anyway), the England spirit LOL, pundits, lack of respect for other nations by the media, face painting, fancy dress, post match interviews, adverts like calrsberg England advert, celebrities having their say, James Corden.

I could go fucking on.

Englands official supermarket ?  Whats that like??!?!!!?!?! I've seen two supermarkets with that on the England badge...

England is not a team its a cash machine.

The best post in this thread.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: