James Perch

BeloEmre

Roeder? :undecided: He was s****, and it wasn't like we didn't have the money.

We've been utterly garbage in the transfer market ever since Robson, bar the occassional good signing. It's paid no small part in our demise - it's been a pretty focal point in all honesty.

Roeder had an extremely limited budget in comparison to Souness and Allerdyce and got us an equal or higher position. I'm not saying he was good, I'm saying he was good in the circumstances. That second season was horrible, but in hindsight the injuries were ridiculous.

I often felt like Roeder was lied to. Scouting Kuyt, yet ending up with Rossi and Sibierski.

Nah, he was just fucking rubbish - at everything. Such a poxy, amateurish manager in every respect, yet deluded himself into thinking he was this disciplined, professional boss with stubborn morals. He just didn't pull it off and the Kuyt thing just epitomised it. Supposedly going down this route of careful, proper consideration of a player - he had to see him about fifteen times before making a decision. The irony was that he went to the Holland/Ireland game to run the rule over him again... all the while, Benitez was there to sign him.

In fairness to Roeder he did sign Martins - and for that he does deserve credit as Oba was a good striker - but it was blatantly panicked and could have been a bit of a catastrophe given the best we had at the time was Shola, who ended up being out for the season too.

He dallied in that transfer market and we ended up with Rossi, Sibierski and Bernard - and the whole season dropped like an absolute stone, after so much hope following a mint climax the year before.

That's before we start on Damien F Duff... :doh:

By the by, Allardyce was probably the best of a bad bunch with the transfer market. And his budget was nowhere near as meaty as Roeder's. Souness, obviously, had about £50m in his war-chest which was quite clearly one of Shepherd's most insane ideas ever, giving that to him.

Roeder? :undecided: He was s****, and it wasn't like we didn't have the money.

We've been utterly garbage in the transfer market ever since Robson, bar the occassional good signing. It's paid no small part in our demise - it's been a pretty focal point in all honesty.

Roeder had an extremely limited budget in comparison to Souness and Allerdyce and got us an equal or higher position. I'm not saying he was good, I'm saying he was good in the circumstances. That second season was horrible, but in hindsight the injuries were ridiculous.

I often felt like Roeder was lied to. Scouting Kuyt, yet ending up with Rossi and Sibierski.

Nah, he was just f***ing rubbish - at everything. Such a poxy, amateurish manager in every respect, yet deluded himself into thinking he was this disciplined, professional boss with stubborn morals. He just didn't pull it off and the Kuyt thing just epitomised it. Supposedly going down this route of careful, proper consideration of a player - he had to see him about fifteen times before making a decision. The irony was that he went to the Holland/Ireland game to run the rule over him again... all the while, Benitez was there to sign him.

In fairness to Roeder he did sign Martins - and for that he does deserve credit as Oba was a good striker - but it was blatantly panicked and could have been a bit of a catastrophe given the best we had at the time was Shola, who ended up being out for the season too.

He dallied in that transfer market and we ended up with Rossi, Sibierski and Bernard - and the whole season dropped like an absolute stone, after so much hope following a mint climax the year before.

That's before we start on Damien F Duff... :doh:

Roeder has claimed that Duff wasn't his signing, although he was happy to have him in the squad. The board had allocated £15m to be spent on the squad and it all went on two players, and the biggest crime was that none of the players who came in was a functioning left back.

It's a good signing - he's just 24 and has bags of experience in the Championship. Right age to step up.

Williamson had played a mere 30 games or so before he joined us and he looks to be a good signing, what's to say Perch will be any different?

A signing, that's a start and pretty much destroys the "no capital outlay on new players" statement, though this probably means we just won't buy any expensive players.

So that must mean no Joe Cole  :undecided:

It doesn't destroy the "no capital outlay" statement.

It just means we've spent some money on a player, whether that money is going to be funded by the sale of any of our current players or out of the club's (.i.e. Ashley's) funds is the test. We won't know if there has been capital outlay on new players until the window ends. 

We don't even know what capital outlay means.

Guest secteur2010

Cannot see anything wrong with the Perch signing. Good, young player, can progress and will learn more as time goes on.

Yet some people on here were extolling the possible signing of Beckford from Leeds a while back.

Albeit players in different positions, Perch will be the more sound purchase in the long run.

Fairly happy with the signing to be honest. He can play a number of positions and should be hungry as opposed to someone like say Samuel who's had many more chances and not done much with them. Actually know one Forest fan who's sad to see him go and when I've ever seen him (fairly infrequently if I'm honest) he's always looked good to me.

Let's hope he has a Jenas-esque first season at least  O0

A signing, that's a start and pretty much destroys the "no capital outlay on new players" statement, though this probably means we just won't buy any expensive players.

So that must mean no Joe Cole  :undecided:

It doesn't destroy the "no capital outlay" statement.

It just means we've spent some money on a player, whether that money is going to be funded by the sale of any of our current players or out of the club's (.i.e. Ashley's) funds is the test. We won't know if there has been capital outlay on new players until the window ends. 

We don't even know what capital outlay means.

and the fees are always undisclosed

Good signing. You can never have enough utility players imo.

Exactly. If you combine him with Ryan Taylor and Alan Smith, Newcastle have real versatile and dynamic side. Looking forward to it.

He looks scarily like Routledge

Not meant as a racist comment at all but Houghton seems to prefer players that have the same skin tone as him, Routledge, Simpson, Best and now Perch.

Hall and van Aanholt.

He does like his fairskinned black players, it seems. It's an indictment of how hard it is to watch Championship matches that I never realised van Aanholt was black until just now.

They aren't 'fair-skinned black' they are mixed raced.

Guest Stephen927

Cheap cover, but so was Ryan Taylor really and he isn't much use even as cover. Reserving judgement on him cos I've only seen him play a couple of times, wouldn't be fair to say it's a good signing or a bad signing, my feeling is neutral.

What's with Ryan Taylor now actually? Think he will go. Think he and LuaLua will be the players we're selling in this window.

perhaps back up to routiledge (in a sense) in a right midfield role

What's with Ryan Taylor now actually? Think he will go. Think he and LuaLua will be the players we're selling in this window.

I'm still living in hope that we'll sign an exciting wide player.

Then again I'm also secretly deluding myself into thinking we'll get a new midfielder and a top striker aswell :weep:

Aye, right. Forgot that he can play as a midfielder as well.

I'm going to pretend I'm fine with this signing and that I have realistic expectations for next season, and that Perch will be a good squad player for us. 

But when next season starts and the reality of struggling every week sets in, I'm going to change my mind, panic, and claim this signing was a sign of both limited ambition and Hughton's poor judgment.

Guest Antigalican

I think It would be a good idea to see him play in a black-and white shirt before judging him. There's plenty come with huge reputations that have turned out to be cack, and plenty with reputations yet to be made wo have gone on and done exactly that.