James Perch

BeloEmre

Much better than Santon was tonight

Got to say, was mystified when Perch came on for Santon (was pretty much against such a decision) but then Perch made a great tackle on Walcott (?) in the first couple of minutes of the second half and as soon as that happened, I went, "oh, fair enough" :laugh:

Decent half from Perch.

To short to play CB, played well as a fullback today.

Not that I'd ever advocate playing him there, but he's virtually the same height as Coloccini, who's one of the best CBs in the country.

I'd still prefer to see him play alongside Colo, at least for a couple of games. He should be somewhere in our back 4 at the minute anyway.

I know he was poor there last season, but with Simpson's form could there be an argument for putting him back in at right-back on Saturday?

Simpson has had far worse games than Monday night and never come close to being left out. Not having a go, but I don't know why people persist with this suggestion that Simpson could be dropped. Barring injury or suspension, he is Pardew's right back.

Not that I'd ever advocate playing him there, but he's virtually the same height as Coloccini, who's one of the best CBs in the country.

I'd still prefer to see him play alongside Colo, at least for a couple of games. He should be somewhere in our back 4 at the minute anyway.

No he shouldn't.  Norwich was an abomination and to put him in that position again against the same opposition would be daft.

No he shouldn't.  Norwich was an abomination and to put him in that position again against the same opposition would be daft.

He was playing alongside Danny Simpson that day. He also had Dan Gosling in at CM.

He was playing alongside Danny Simpson that day.

So he was only half of the most pourous central defence I've ever seen us play.  That's alright then

So he was only half of the most pourous central defence I've ever seen us play.  That's alright then

Perch was one of 11 players on the field that day, he wasn't at fault for everything. Playing alongside Colo would make a hell of a difference to playing alongside Simpson. Williamson's hardly tearing up trees either.

Perch was one of 11 players on the field that day, he wasn't at fault for everything. Playing alongside Colo would make a hell of a difference to playing alongside Simpson. Williamson's hardly tearing up trees either.

I readily acknowledge all of that.  I think he's a poor cb that is all. Their strength is in the air - Perch is weak in this area and it is an area of relative strength for Williamson.  Colo is not a dominant player aerially either.  Changin ti would be foolish actually.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Perch start at LB though.....

I readily acknowledge all of that.  I think he's a poor cb that is all. Their strength is in the air - Perch is weak in this area and it is an area of relative strength for Williamson.  Colo is not a dominant player aerially either.  Changin ti would be foolish actually.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Perch start at LB though.....

I don't see it as a strength for Williamson though, not enough to justify leaving him in the side anyway.

Regardless, we're at home to a newly promoted side. We shouldn't be worrying about them, we should be making them worry about us.

It was only last season when Simpson was (comfortably) miles ahead of Perch in the pecking order for RB. Nice change in attitudes eh?

EDIT: This isn't me slating Perch btw, if need be (injuries/suspensions), I wouldn't mind him covering at RB/LB. He's a big no for CB though.