James Perch

BeloEmre

Where does this leave us on the "no new capital outlay on new players".

Just a smokescreen? And if so did we really use that smokescreen to have a better bargaining position on Perch? Now everyone else will just say "yeah right" if we say we have absolutely no money to spend on players.

Or did we (I) just misunderstand the meaning of the words?

To me, that statement was a clear case of lowering expectations, so that if you did go on to get a few players, it's a pleasant surprise. Ish.

So just a case of messing with the fans? Maybe, but it seems quite strange to me. Then again I can't find any scenario, where that statement makes any sense now.

For those dismissing the reaction of Forest fans, look just how large a majority, across just how many forums are gleeful over this. Usually, if the player is good, there is some sort of divide, but over Perch, joy is pretty much ubiquitous.

Strangely they didn't sound so gutted when our bid in January was rejected.  Most of them were glad to see him stay..

It's also not taking into account how the majority of this forum didn't rate James Milner when he left.

I'm a firm believer in the Bellamy Principle - when assessing new players, don't take any notice of the supporters' view. Every club has its favourites and scapegoats.

This is the sort of signing I was expecting and I'm not unhappy. I'd rather take a punt on an up and coming player who sees joining us as a step up, rather than a step down.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, the only use for any solid point of view at the moment is so they can repost in a few months as if they knew all along.

Just a smokescreen? And if so did we really use that smokescreen to have a better bargaining position on Perch? Now everyone else will just say "yeah right" if we say we have absolutely no money to spend on players.

Could be a soon to be departure in the works?

Guest MrBrown

Poor signing. He's simply not good enough tbh. The reaction from the Forest fans say it all,surely 1 of them would be disappointed. This reaction is from the fans of a team full of Championship fodder, look at his competition at full back at forest; Chambers, Bennett and Gunter yet they're happy no delighted to see him go.

No better than Ryan Taylor or Danny Simpson. He's a jack of all trades versatility player in the championship for a team like Forest and will serve no use what so ever in the premier league. Getting bodies in the championship is a fair excuse but not in the PL, these bodies need to have a bit of quality.

Of course I'm willing to give him a chance but f*** me I'm not expecting anything.

Jesus christ, James Perch man.  :facepalm:

Clearly willing to give him a chance there.

Poor signing. He's simply not good enough tbh. The reaction from the Forest fans say it all,surely 1 of them would be disappointed. This reaction is from the fans of a team full of Championship fodder, look at his competition at full back at forest; Chambers, Bennett and Gunter yet they're happy no delighted to see him go.

No better than Ryan Taylor or Danny Simpson. He's a jack of all trades versatility player in the championship for a team like Forest and will serve no use what so ever in the premier league. Getting bodies in the championship is a fair excuse but not in the PL, these bodies need to have a bit of quality.

Of course I'm willing to give him a chance but f*** me I'm not expecting anything.

Jesus christ, James Perch man.  :facepalm:

Clearly willing to give him a chance there.

I am willing to give him a chance. Like I said though, I'm no expecting much and I dont expect it to be too long before the masses turn on him. Like they have done with Best, Simpson, Raylor Smith etc.

Just a smokescreen?

The owner of Greggs secretly bought us in June so we have around £100m to spend on pastry, er i mean players

don't tell anyone tho :pow:

Could be a soon to be departure in the works?

Think many people misunderstood 'no capital outlay'. I think it meant that Ashley wouldn't be injecting loads of new money.

Chances are if he is one of these guys that always puts in 100% effort then he is already much beter than Simpson....good news I think.

Infact to make this signing even better I am now thinking of it as Nicky Butt out, James Perch in. Incredible bit of business.

Here's one of the most reasoned responses, or as the guy himself says - rational opinion. Doesn't really make for inspiring reading, but the very reason he never played so consistently may be that he was played in so many positions. Clutching at straws with fingers crossed.

Now, let's see, the one thing this thread is missing is a rational opinion, so...

First of all, a confession, I'm not a James Perch hater. Whatever your opinions of his abilities, or lack thereof, he has not been without his merits. He came through the ranks at Forest as a centre-back, and in a foreshadowing of the versatile role he would take for us, was thrown into the first team as a right-back by Joe Kinnear in the midst of an injury crisis.

He probably had his best run of form under Gary megson though, as a central midfield player. He was highly consistant during this time and Megson declared him 'the best midfielder at the club', however this high praise was tempered somewhat by the sheer amount of rubbish in the squad under the ginger whinger.

Under subsequent managers he was moved around and under Calderwood was often deployed as a right-winger, where he was less consistant and started to become scapegoated by a good number of fans. It was around this time that comments such as 'He's not a winger', 'He's not a midfielder' etc started to surface and many demanded he be moved to right-back where it was felt he would be in his 'best position'. However an unfortunate run of injuries and players coming into the side in his absence meant that Perch never quite re-established himself and got a run as he had done under Megson.

Whilst he's clearly lacking in flair and creativity, he's a scarily good tackler and capable of being outstanding in big games, as he was against Newcastle, but his lack of consistancy means he can also have a mare, such as the home play-off agianst Blackpool. He's a good professional away fromt eh pitch though and, despite growing up around the unsavoury characters that were profligate under Kinnear, has never been one of the names associated with loutish, drunken behaviour in Nottingham and has held the captains armband.

With 190 appearances for Forest under his belt, he's perhaps not afforded the same level of tolerance that many 24 year old players are with regards to our analysis of his performances, bearing in mind that most defenders don't peak until they're close to 30, so he still has a lot of potential.

However, with all that said, he's not worth £1million and if that's what Newcastle have offered, then it would seem a move motivated by (and a price inflated by) that stunning performance against Newcastle.

Guest Antigalican

Good luck the lad, obviously making a step up it can go one way or t'other, but I'd rather take a chance on someone like this than some fairwether, long-haired foreigner on stupid money.

Good luck the lad, obviously making a step up it can go one way or t'other, but I'd rather take a chance on someone like this than some fairwether, long-haired foreigner on stupid money.

Our best players are foreign though.

What if they were English but had long hair?

I think Perch will prove to be a decent enough signing, he was obviously rated by Forest somewhere down the line to have been handed the captaincy and 200 appearances at just 24 makes for ok reading, injury wise.

The lad might not have had a great time towards the back end of last season but who did at Forest? They were gash. Perhaps it was a confidence issue with the player? If so I'd certainly put a bit of faith in Hughton instilling some level of confidence and getting at least 12-15 decent Premiership games out of Perch next season, he certainly transformed the no-hopers we were relegated with the season before last to a seemingly 'together' bunch of lads who played with a bit of confidence at times.

He looks scarily like Routledge

Not meant as a racist comment at all but Houghton seems to prefer players that have the same skin tone as him, Routledge, Simpson, Best and now Perch.

He looks scarily like Routledge

Not meant as a racist comment at all but Houghton seems to prefer players that have the same skin tone as him, Routledge, Simpson, Best and now Perch.

Hall and van Aanholt.

Happy with this. I have faith in Hughton that he wouldn't spend his entire budget on a utility man, and that this signing shows that there IS money to spend. Hopefully it'll be a January window type scenario where we're pessimistic the whole time expecting mass departures but then no-one does. After all, we did just get back to the Premier League, I would think that those that fought to get us here will want to take the reward for it, premier-league football.