Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Ben Arfa should just come in for Obertan or stay on the bench as an impact player. We have two strikers on form, and one wing player who is contributing very little offnsively or defensively. I thought he looked vulnerable in the middle, personally. It would be typically English to through a #10 on the wing, but I really believe it is the best option right now.

What were you expecting?

We just ignoring everything Pardew's said about his plans for Ben Arfa then?

Just like Santon at LB? :naughty:

Difference being Santon has said he'll play anywhere, while Ben Arfa's been told where he'll be playing, and Pardew knows where he wants to play and that he wouldn't like to put him there (on the wing) as Barfa wouldn't be happy in that role, from what i understand.

I think he knows where he wants him to end up, but for the fact I reckon he'll find it easier to drop Obertan than Best, I can see him starting out wide for a few games, maybe build up his fitness, and come the Everton or City game move him behind Ba.

Circumstances change though and i doubt Pardew would have thought Ba and Best would have started the season as well as they have done.

For me, the number 10 role is best suited to Ben Arfa's style of play and given time, I'm confident he'll excel in such a role.

Wigan would be the perfect game to test the 4-4-1-1 formation.

We want drop any 4-4-2 with arfa. The fact is that Ba already is playing very deep like in a 4-4-1. We won´t see any different.

But I like the idea with playing two forwards against Wigan. But not the idea with arfa on the wing :hmm: would rather play;

Marx Cab Tiote Jonas

Arfa

Ba

As people has said. he lost the ball a few times when you expect him to not. BUT wasn´t he just magical to find different positions and areas :smitten: basically he didn´t do much. but still our game improved a lot with him on the field. think when he is 100 and he has started to get an understanding with the rest of the team :lol:

Think some are being a bit harsh on him.  He did lose the ball a few times and run it into blind alleys.  Problem was, because we were pushing for the winner and the game was so open, we were left really exposed when he did lose it.  Watching the game back last night, he commits a lot of defenders and certianly added some much needed drive to our attacks, couldn't rely on Jonas all game and Ba had gone off. Been said loads of times, but he was trying way too hard to impress and win the game himself.

I personally thought there were some really promising signs from him.  Depending how the game goes Saturday, I reckon he'll get another 20-30 minutes, then start against Blackburn.

I think he'll eventually be particularly effective away from home too.

Agreed. Love the way he and Jonas runs at the opposition. They will link up very well. We need to get him up to speed in the next three games for when we play the two Manchesters away followed by Chelski at home. I can't see Best and/or Obertan causing these top quality teams too many problems. A fully fit on form and bedded in Ben Arfa could cause any team problems. Especially alongside the likes of Cabaye, Tiote and Jonas.

Same goes for Santon at RB. He has got the quality to be a hit. Now is the time to try and bed these two in the team over the next three matches. Would be a bit harsh to just chuck them in not match sharp against the two Manchester teams expecting them to perform miracles.

Let's have a better look at Marveaux on the right too in a Premier league game.

Wouldn't worry about Ba getting isolated as the lone striker like. What's impressed and surprised me most about him, is his willingness to come and get the ball and be involved in play and he still has the energy to be an ever-present nuisance in the box. Ben Arfa and Ba will form a really good partnership imo.

Should start in the free role against Wigan, no question about it.

Excited to see what he can do, didn't really get going against Spurs tbh but our shape looked much better with just one up front and HBA in the hole.

I'd take Obertan and Best out and give Ben Arfa and Marveaux a go.

Pretty much, wigan game would be a perfect game to accomodate Ben Arfa, but can we afford it if he's so far off match fitness as it looks? he didn't really look sharp at all and wanted far too much. A full 90 minutes winning against Wigan would maybe give him the rest he will need to get back to what he was good at? On the other hand this type of game is where I would expect Best to have a walk in the park with his current form and playing him, curse me for saying this, I believe we would have more of a safe chance of nicking the victory. Might be good to try to get BeA in at around 60 minute mark to rest one of either Ba or Best for the next fixtures though. Fully expect him to get minutes regardless.

Well I'm going to remain on the unconvinced list that  it is a better style of play until I see it.

If we are going to have two wingers getting crosses in, do we not want to strikers getting on the end of them?

What happens when Maiga comes? I wonder if Pardew does see Ben Arfa as part of his long term plans. (I know that will sound stupid to most).

Maybe him and cabaye will work wonders with each other or maybe they will get in each others way.

As I said, not convinced yet.

Well I'm going to remain on the unconvinced list that  it is a better style of play until I see it.

If we are going to have two wingers getting crosses in, do we not want to strikers getting on the end of them?

What happens when Maiga comes? I wonder if Pardew does see Ben Arfa as part of his long term plans. (I know that will sound stupid to most).

Maybe him and cabaye will work wonders with each other or maybe they will get in each others way.

As I said, not convinced yet.

Not convinced with what? With time, Ben Arfa will be a regular. Simple as that.