Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Almost cost us the match when he cheaply lost possession.  He has too play on Tuesday night when the reserves play Liverpool, he needs match fitness and get get the kind of match sharpness that you don't get in training sessions and then give him another run out at Blackburn in the cup and after those two games i'd then consider him to start a League game, however i'm not sure Stoke away would be an ideal one. 

The lad has been out for virtually a whole year, I think we will be much better off easing him back slowly and not to expect too much too soon, some of the hype in this thread is quite scary.

Average performance.

Gave the ball away every bit as much as Obertan did by trying to walk through players and do it all on his own, we are where we are by playing as a team which he doesn't seem to grasp.

What was our movement like when Ben Arfa was trying to walk through players?

He lost it twice out wide near the touchline rather than just getting the ball into the box, no excuse at all for that when players were around the penalty spot waiting for the ball to be floated in, as for our general movement when he was running forward from our half with the ball I don't see it as a problem, he should know we've got 2 quick wingers that if he plays it into the areas behind the fullbacks the likely hood is they've got a good chance of getting to it first, that way he can continue his run forward into the box to offer support to the attack.

Sure he was a bit careless in position at times but he also looked a total class act on the ball the way he changed direction and shifted play. I'd like to see him start against a nervous Wigan and with Tiote and Cabaye behind him he can afford to occasionally lose the ball even if he has to be far more secure with it. Agree about him getting some of that reserve game under his belt.

He's been out for ages, ball retention will come with improved sharpness imo.

He lost it twice out wide near the touchline rather than just getting the ball into the box, no excuse at all for that when players were around the penalty spot waiting for the ball to be floated in, as for our general movement when he was running forward from our half with the ball I don't see it as a problem, he should know we've got 2 quick wingers that if he plays it into the areas behind the fullbacks the likely hood is they've got a good chance of getting to it first, that way he can continue his run forward into the box to offer support to the attack.

I'm sure he'll learn what runs our players are making once he's had some time with them during games.

When HBA is on the pitch it's also important that the wingers stay wide IMO, creating space for him. The midfield seemed pretty congested today.

Start him against Wigan, let him rip them to shreds and build up some confidence. Also not the same pressure to do something magical when you start a game.

When HBA is on the pitch it's also important that the wingers stay wide IMO, creating space for him. The midfield seemed pretty congested today.

Start him against Wigan, let him rip them to shreds and build up some confidence. Also not the same pressure to do something magical when you start a game.

Not all the time, I think it could ripe for some interchange between himself and Jonas on the left as I would assume he'll naturally drift that way.

This will go down like a shit sandwich but I have been quite interested to see a 4-3-3 like this -

Ben Arfa      Best        Ba

Jonas          Tiote        Cabaye

There is a great mix of skill, work rate and brilliance in that front 6 and I think they would all combine well.

Ben Arfa is full of pace and trickery pulling the opposition apart plus a wand of a left foot that will cause problems.

Best works his arse off and has a knack of getting himself into dangerous positons.

Ba is like Best but with a bit more technical ability and can score all manner of goals.

Jonas will get up and down all game helping out the defence but also being a threat carrying the ball forward for Ben Arfa and also going on his own runs, winning free kicks and if recent games are to go by sticking dangerous balls into the box.

Tiote will just be everywhere as usual protecting the defence and giving the lads around him enough of the ball to cause trouble.

Bit of a strange one for Cabaye but he works hard and has the intelligence/technical ability to play the Barton role (a little like that spell under Keegan) to a much greater effect. His work rate will help the full back and his range of passing and shooting ability will put the opposition under a great deal of pressure.

Just think that lot have so many attributes between them to work in all aspects of the game and would add excitement as well as a whole lot of grit.

*tin hat*

This will go down like a s*** sandwich but I have been quite interested to see a 4-3-3 like this -

Ben Arfa      Best        Ba

Jonas          Tiote        Cabaye

There is a great mix of skill, work rate and brilliance in that front 6 and I think they would all combine well.

Ben Arfa is full of pace and trickery pulling the opposition apart plus a wand of a left foot that will cause problems.

Best works his arse off and has a knack of getting himself into dangerous positons.

Ba is like Best but with a bit more technical ability and can score all manner of goals.

Jonas will get up and down all game helping out the defence but also being a threat carrying the ball forward for Ben Arfa and also going on his own runs, winning free kicks and if recent games are to go by sticking dangerous balls into the box.

Tiote will just be everywhere as usual protecting the defence and giving the lads around him enough of the ball to cause trouble.

Bit of a strange one for Cabaye but he works hard and has the intelligence/technical ability to play the Barton role (a little like that spell under Keegan) to a much greater effect. His work rate will help the full back and his range of passing and shooting ability will put the opposition under a great deal of pressure.

Just think that lot have so many attributes between them to work in all aspects of the game and would add excitement as well as a whole lot of grit.

*tin hat*

This formation was talked about a lot over the summer. I reckon this formation would work well actually and we did use it to somewhat good effect against the mackems. But when it comes to formations, I am a bit of a traditionalist and I would prefer wingers in a midfield 4.

As it stands my preferred formation would be 4-4-1-1.

He seemed too eager to impress today and ended up losing possession a lot. Either that, or he needs to start the process of learning how to deal with the better defending that you get in the Premiership.

Having said that, you did see signs of his ability when running with the ball. Hopefully, it'll be better utilised in the near future.

Needs 90 against Wigan and I think he'll get it. This straight down the tunnel thing is daft man,he'll be fine as long as he gets games,which he deserves to. Best has played well but he can't do anything Ba can't do better. Ben Arfa will give us a different dimension to our attacking.

Guest Heneage

It's a frustrating time for him. Family problems and he's being ushered in slowly which after a year out probably feels like waiting weeks for 10 minutes of action.

Give him a game from the start against Wigan and he'll be alright I think.

Think people are abit eager to jump on him. The game was being played at a high pace when he came on and he clearly is still getting up to speed. He didn't have that explosiveness to get away from people like he will when he's played more games but each little cameo will help so as long as he isn't costing us points it's fine. Hopefully we can give him a longer cameo against wigan as they look poor at the moment.

I quite like the line-up suggested by Cajun's post. One of my main concerns would be over Ba's fitness/effectiveness in a game if he had to drop back so much, so often and whether the system would shine too bright a light on our full backs. Interesting food for thought and definitely a good formation though IMO.

I don't mind that, but I'm most concerned about Guti being asked to play more centrally, or as part of a midfield 3. if we're going to go for a classic 4-3-3 with fairly fluid roles I think I'd go for

Guti                Ba            HBA (interchangable)

Gosling/Abeid  Tiote  Cabaye  (again interchangeable)

This is reliant on Gosling or Abeid stepping up. 4-3-3s are reliant on possession play generally, Tiote doing the defensive midfielder role and distrubiting forward to Cabaye or Gosling/Abeid (marveaux perhaps)  and keeping possession, then making the passes forward to available forwards.

I'm just not sure though that our players are prepared to play such open football where positions are exchanged etc. Defence is obviously the problem, discipline in getting possession back needs to be great, and atm with a slightly more rigid formation we are tough to beat, so can't see the want to change it.

Tiote's current form should however allow Cabaye more freedom to venture forward, I wouldn't mine seeing Cabaye as a central playmaker midfielder with Abeid in to develop. HBA can operate on right but with free remit.