Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Sounds promising, Ben Arfa when he's back to his absolute best will give us a massive boost in quality, a totally different dimension to our play, and above all i think that Cabaye will be a lot better with him on the pitch, mouth watering really.

Imagine the space's Ben Arfa will give our other players as well, in the way that he'll always have at least two players trying to keep up with him and and try to have him in a leash, and even then it's hard, the Everton players just couldn't deal with him, and compared to the team we had then, we now have a lot more players with pace and movement. And Jonas as well draws a lot of attention.

There was one point yesterday when Cabaye played the ball between two spurs players and Ben Arfa turned and ran straight at them,that's what's gonna be so good about having him in the team,as soon as he picks it up the opponents are on the back foot

Even though he wasn't great yesterday, it's fantastic to have him on the pitch. It surely can't just be me who is expecting something to happen every single time he is on the ball. Obviously it doesn't, and it almost cost us yesterday, but that sort of quality is so rare in football that we have to use it.

Great to hear Pardew talking him up, sounds like he'll start against Wigan :fwap:

He tried to hard to impress and lost the ball in our half on two occasions which nearly cost us a goal. Thankfully it didn't, but hopefully he won't be so eager to dribble around players in such a dangerous position next time.

He had some decent touches, floated into positions which the Spurs defenders and midfielders couldn't pick up and had two nice runs that showed us the kind of player he can be. He should start against Wigan, especially because Best has had two quiet games in a row.

It's going to be impossible for most teams that play 4-4-2 to contain him because we have such a good midfield. Our RM and LM need to be marked, and Tiote and Cabaye both drift enough that their two CMs have to keep an eye on them, which means they can't drop back into the space between midfield and defence to mark someone like Ben Arfa. The only option is thus for a CB to push up. Ben Arfa vs the typical lumbering CB. Or Ben Arfa can drop into the midfield area and play keep ball with Cabaye and Tiote against their two central midfielders. Tasty. Or the CB doesn't push up, leaving lots of space for Ben Arfa to turn and run - like he did twice yesterday. He'll change the way we attack for the better while not compromising our defence. The best of both worlds.

Even yesterday he showed glimpses of this when Livermore and Parker had pushed up to mark Cabaye and Tiote. He drifted into a space where Bassong and Kaboul couldn't mark, because it was too high for them. The better teams will have intelligent defenders and midfielders who rotate and can do a good job against a player like Ben Arfa, but the average Premiership defence will get ripped to shreds because they aren't disciplined enough to mark him.

The only issue is that Ba is left alone up front but we have played a mostly possession game which doesn't rely on two strikers bombing into the box to get on the end of crosses, so I don't see an issue with dropping Best and hoping Ben Arfa can create good chances for Ba.

Even though he wasn't great yesterday, it's fantastic to have him on the pitch. It surely can't just be me who is expecting something to happen every single time he is on the ball. Obviously it doesn't, and it almost cost us yesterday, but that sort of quality is so rare in football that we have to use it.

Great to hear Pardew talking him up, sounds like he'll start against Wigan :fwap:

Its not, and this is the problem. He wants to create and wants to take men on everytime he gets it. And obviously this aint going to happen and he is going to lose the ball at times as he did yesterday. But this is the way its going to be with him, if we want his genuis then we are going to get frustrations too, but its certainly a sacrifice im willing to make.  :)

This is why I want him just off Striker rather than on wing, on wing he'll receive ball further down pitch and his greed might mean he tries to do too much. Off striker he'll receive the ball closer to net and hopefull start racking up the goals. Need to have patience and get him game time before we can expect great things

Obvious point but it's not just him who needs to get back into the flow of things, it's his teammates that need to get to know him too. Like where to tuck in when he's trying to take players on, in case he loses it. As a team we were a bit naive from this perspective, just standing around watching him defensively as well as offensively.

Obvious point but it's not just him who needs to get back into the flow of things, it's his teammates that need to get to know him too. Like where to tuck in when he's trying to take players on, in case he loses it. As a team we were a bit naive from this perspective, just standing around watching him both offensively and defensively.

Exactly, the team as a whole is still evolving. The exciting thing is, we are doing so well after 8 games, the potential after 20-30 games when they all know each other... Then we keep adding young pacey players - Jizztastic! :)

As I only really watch Newcastle and know nothing of Ben Arfa pre Newcastle, I'm watching this situation as hopeful but not sold. I'm sure this viewpoints is at odds with those who watch loads of football and have seen B.A. play many times.

As Dave mentioned, it's not just what he can do but how others can play with / off him. Hopefully he will get some goals himself, but will we be relying on Jonas and Obertan to be putting away the magic through balls as well as a striker?

If it's cabaye linking up and running past, what will happen when he loses possession which of course he will do. Will we expose our so far solid midfield.

Interested from those that have seen him regularly to describe how they think it will pan out.

Has anyone ever thought in his other games for us (I know there aren't many), that he's been a particularly greedy player? I've always been quite surprised that he's not been anywhere near as bad as i originally thought he would be.

He's never been a greedy player. Likes setting others up, which you will have seen from his time here.

He said himself when he signed on loan last year that he is the type of player that will always try and make things happen, and that it won't always succeed and he might look bad because of it, but he's a brave player and won't let that stop him from doing what he does best.

One thing I noticed is every time he got the ball near the box the whole of the Gallowgate end stood up in anticipation. Been a while since we've had a player who get people off their seats like that, was a great feeling.

Off topic, but thought the Gallowgate was absolutely brilliant yesterday, especially in the final 20 minutes or so. Really enjoying the positivity around the club at the minute, long may it continue!

One thing I noticed is every time he got the ball near the box the whole of the Gallowgate end stood up in anticipation. Been a while since we've had a player who get people off their seats like that, was a great feeling.

Off topic, but thought the Gallowgate was absolutely brilliant yesterday, especially in the final 20 minutes or so. Really enjoying the positivity around the club at the minute, long may it continue!

But also slightly annoying - I was up and down my seat in that last 5 minutes like it was on f***ing fire - people in front couldn't make their minds up :lol:

Tbf, I think this whole "trying to hard" was very encouraging. After 12 months out he was never going to immediately fit into the team, especially considering he's never played with some of these players in his life, at least not in a proper match, and also considering he came on as we were franticly chasing the game. He could've easily came back from an injury like that and shied away a little, but he was everywhere; up front, dropping back into midfield, on the wings; and constantly making himself available. Once he gets up to full fitness, gets on the same wavelength and develops an understanding with the rest of the side he'll tear teams apart.

Guest hatem garrincha

Tbf, I think this whole "trying to hard" was very encouraging. After 12 months out he was never going to immediately fit into the team, especially considering he's never played with some of these players in his life, at least not in a proper match, and also considering he came on as we were franticly chasing the game. He could've easily came back from an injury like that and shied away a little, but he was everywhere; up front, dropping back into midfield, on the wings; and constantly making himself available. Once he gets up to full fitness, gets on the same wavelength and develops an understanding with the rest of the side he'll tear teams apart.

That's one of his biggest quality.

Still not keen on dropping Best like, would much prefer Obertan made way with Ben Arfa alowed to free-roam from the right. We'd have a pretty strong bench too with Obertan's pace, aswel as Marv and the Brothers of Destruction.

Agree, there's no reason we can't play 2 strikers + Ben Arfa against teams like Wigan at home. Given a free role on the right would allow him to cut in and shoot on his left.

We've had a fantastic start, theres a wonderful feeling around the club/city now and only now are we unleashing HBA, Santon and Marveaux. I know we can be a bit bi-polar around here, but the potential in this team is frightening. There'll be defeats (eventually!) and some off days, but I think its realistic to aim for 'best of the rest' status and be 7th come May.

Then lets hope the same logic that secured Jonas' (and hopefully Colo's) contract will help us resist bids for Tiote, Cabaye and HBA. Then we'll be flying. Maybe there was a plan all along.....