Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

HATEM BEN ARFA returns to the scene of what can only be described as utter despair for any footballer at any level this Saturday when he faces Manchester City for the first time since his horrific double leg break at Eastlands.

With just six minutes gone in the October 3 fixture last year, Ben Arfa was forced off by a horror tackle by physical Dutchman Nigel De Jong.

It was a moment which would have major implications for both Newcastle and former manager Chris Hughton, who was dismissed two months later and would never be able to rely on his talisman again.

For Ben Arfa it was the start of a nine-month nightmare which was made worse by a second injury sustained in Kansas City during the Magpies’ ill-fated American tour, when an ankle injury dented his hopes of making a flying start to the current campaign.

However, step by step, Ben Arfa has made his way back into the first-team picture at Newcastle.

Now a permanent signing, Alan Pardew watched on against Everton as the French ace warmed up patiently before playing his part in the 2-1 win in their last league match with a hard-working display.

That tees up Ben Arfa for a return to City, but he has admitted his comeback would not have been the same without the Toon Army and the United medical team which worked tirelessly to get him back up and running.

Ben Arfa told the Chronicle after his long battle back to fitness: “The fans were there for me and encouraged me during that time.

“I am very happy to be back now. The comeback was very hard for me.

“Now I can just look forward and hope we can achieve some great things this season.”

Ben Arfa’s role this season has been mainly as an impact player from the bench in the Premier League, with four appearances thus far.

The French international has started twice in the Carling Cup at Nottingham Forest and Blackburn Rover.

However, the club’s French revolution has meant it has been far from easy for him to force a way into the starting XI with Yohan Cabaye, Gabriel Obertan, Sylvain Marveaux and Demba Ba all impressing in both midfield and attack.

Yet Ben Arfa is delighted by the success of his fellow countrymen, and added: “Everybody is settling in well at Newcastle.

“The team needs to keep pushing forward and make the season a success.”

RYAN TAYLOR feels Hatem Ben Arfa is more than capable of wiping away painful memories of his double leg break by netting a wonder goal at Eastlands.

Scouse star Taylor knows only too well the agony suffered by a professional footballer after a leg break after twice enduring the long and difficult road back from the treatment table.

However, the former Tranmere and Wigan ace Taylor feels Newcastle fans will be grateful they still have a “top-class player” on their hands, and feels the strength of Ben Arfa’s character can shine through at Man City on Saturday.

Reflecting on Ben Arfa’s experiences in the last 12 month, team-mate Taylor told the Chronicle: “I have had a few bad injuries in my time.

“I have broken my leg twice, but as a footballer you have to have a strong mind and Hatem seems to be in that bracket.

“I hope the lad does well if selected on Saturday.

“Whoever plays it will be a tough game no matter what. The likes of Hatem can change games in an instant.

“If he plays, I will be looking forward to it.”

Ben Arfa has been impressing this week in training in the build-up to the fixture in the north west and Taylor has witnessed it at first hand.

He added: “Hatem is a strong lad, he has shown that by coming back and being the player he is.

“He has been injured since but what a chance to go and play where he had a bad injury and now show the Man City fans what he is all about.

“He can stick one in the back of the net and come off the field a lot happier than last time.”

Ben Arfa has not yet hit the heights which made him one of Marseille’s brightest talents at the Velodrome, but Taylor believes the 24-year-old is in resurgent mode according to the Toon left-back.

He went on: “He has been on the bench but that is because he has not quite there yet.

“The gaffer is seeing something in him that shows he is ready.

“I have spoken to Hatem and he thinks he is ready.

“The next time he goes there the memories will be almost gone, so it is a big plus.”

Ben Arfa has not yet hit the heights which made him one of Marseille’s brightest talents at the Velodrome, but Taylor believes the 24-year-old is in resurgent mode according to the Toon left-back.

That sentence makes my eyes bleed.

Ben Arfa has not yet had the chance to hit the heights which made him one of Marseille’s brightest talents at the Velodrome, but Taylor believes the 24-year-old is in resurgent mode according to the Toon left-back.

Fixed it.. dry your eyes

Ben Arfa has not yet had the chance to hit the heights which made him one of Marseille’s brightest talents at the Velodrome, but Taylor believes the 24-year-old is in resurgent mode according to the Toon left-back.

Fixed it.. dry your eyes

I think it's that last bit, killed me as well - "... Taylor believes the 24-year-old is in resurgent mode according to the Toon left-back."  Of course it's according to him, you just said he believed it.  :lol: 

Fixed it.. dry your eyes

I think it's that last bit, killed me as well - "... Taylor believes the 24-year-old is in resurgent mode according to the Toon left-back."  Of course it's according to him, you just said he believed it.  :lol: 

:lol: I bet he did not say "resurgent "

Fixed it.. dry your eyes

:lol:

Stuff like that annoys me disproportionately. Like this one:

For Ben Arfa it was the start of a nine-month nightmare which was made worse by a second injury sustained in Kansas City during the Magpies’ ill-fated American tour, when an ankle injury dented his hopes of making a flying start to the current campaign.

Due to an injury, which was an injury.

Think he might start at RW if Obertan and Marv are both out.

Pardew has said he will never play out wide for him.

He also said Carroll won't be sold, that we'd sign a striker in the last few weeks of the summer etc etc. If shit hits the fan and we end up with two strikers who are both doing well but without a right winger, he'd be utterly daft not to play him there.

He also said Carroll won't be sold, that we'd sign a striker in the last few weeks of the summer etc etc. If s*** hits the fan and we end up with two strikers who are both doing well but without a right winger, he'd be utterly daft not to play him there.

Aye, its exactly the same  :lol:

He also said Carroll won't be sold, that we'd sign a striker in the last few weeks of the summer etc etc. If s*** hits the fan and we end up with two strikers who are both doing well but without a right winger, he'd be utterly daft not to play him there.

Aye, its exactly the same  :lol:

You're right it's not the same. Pardew did though to be fair, actually say he'd not be playing him right wing... 'probably'.

Fixed it.. dry your eyes

:lol:

Stuff like that annoys me disproportionately. Like this one:

Due to an injury, which was an injury.

:lol: :lol:

Think if both Obertan and Marveaux are out he's left with not many other choices.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/webimage/sammy_ameobi_hs_1_3932344!image/1358508754.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_170/1358508754.jpg

Think if both Obertan and Marveaux are out he's left with not many other choices.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/webimage/sammy_ameobi_hs_1_3932344!image/1358508754.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_170/1358508754.jpg

We've signed Floyd Mayweather Snr?

Guess it's time to unleash the Sammy :smug: