Manchester Utd 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 16/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Carroll was a total beast. Hope it continues, he could have a great season.

He'll be immense, and then he'll be found guilty in September.  :kinnear:

Guest Heneage

Carroll was f***ing immense IMO. Even the little things he did really, really well.

Clearly our man of the match.

Couldn't agree more. A fantastic player.

I think it's evident that Chelsea and Man Utd just continue to pull ahead of everyone else.

They should have their own league and just play each other ten times.

We'll only be expecting wins of bottom half teams, and scraping them off teams finishing between 7th and 10th. 

Anything above 6th will beat us, and Chelsea/Man United will have the potential to annihilate us.

Can't believe nobody has singled out Routledge yet. He had an absolute shocker. He was at fault for both the 2nd and 3rd goals and gave Evra a free run all night while providing little or no defensive cover for Perch.

Apart from that it was as expected really. At least we kept the score down.

Guest Geordiesned

I'd love to know how "it could have been any number really" as (commentator) Alan Smith said when they only had 4 shots on target.

Disappointed we didn't turn to one of the kids for the last 10-15 mins. Would be really good if Hughton turnedaround to one and asked them to show what they can do. With our thin squad we'll be using them, so we may as well given them some experience so they are more prepared for more crucial games to come.

Guest firetotheworks

Positives

Carroll - He should have scored that chance, but he worked tirelessly with the little he was given. He gave it his all, and what he gave was good.

Williamson - Aside from one fuck up when he passed a clearance to Berbatov, I thought he was solid.

It took our own individual fuck ups to get them their goals. If Chris can get it into Jose, Jonas, and Colo that they can't get away with the same shit that made them so good last year, then we'll obviously concede less.

Barton, never hid.

The tactics were decent, we just didn't have what it took to pull it off.

Negatives

I stick up for Jonas, but he was persistently shit today.

Perch, he got better as the match went on. He was our weakness, but he wasn't as bad as he might be made out to be.

Harper. that third goal. It looked like he was in slow motion.

Overall, what I expected, but I'm annoyed that it was 3-0 and not 2-0. I love Jose, and up until the 85th minute I thought he'd had a solid game. He cannot pull that shit anymore in the PL, he simply cannot.

Thing is if we hadn't bottled it we could have given them a bit of a game. We're not as inferior as people think but we just let Man U do whatever they pleased, it was infuriating to watch. We never played to our strengths and after 30 mins didn't even bother to attack. Hughton is going to have to buck his ideas up, we actually need to give teams a match, not a training game, no matter how big their reputation.

Carroll was fucking immense IMO. Even the little things he did really, really well.

Clearly our man of the match.

carroll is coming into his own now,.

barton was also pretty good.

Promising in the fact we weren't annihilated. Clearly a case of being beaten by a vastly superior team. A hammering would have dented the confidence from the word, so even though 3-0's disappointing, in some respects i'm relieved.

We're still aching for more firepower, though. The bench didn't bare looking at.

Old news now i would imagine, but where were Guthrie and Lovenkrands?

The scoreline is not showing a Chelsea wipeout but we were annihilated.

Christ. :doh: If we'd have lost 8-0, confidence would have been at an all-time low from the very beginning. It wasn't, it was respectable, and we'll fight on from here.

Despite my praise of Carroll I still can't believe that missed header. In this league we've simply got to take chances like that. Who knows what could have happened if that had gone in, though saying that it would probably have just made them angry.

Considering it was Manure, I'm not that disappointed. The framework for survival is there but we need to refine the simple things such as passing. Slightly overpassing/underpassing was one of our biggest problems tonight, and this has to be rectified as soon as possible. Jonas and Routledge also have to work on their crossing ability. Left a lot to be desired.

At this stage, I certainly see our next three games as winnable provided that our players knuckle down and patch up their loose performance.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I was pleased with Williamson today, he's not very fast but he looked solid last year and was solid for the most part today. Looks better than Colo in this league so far.

Promising in the fact we weren't annihilated. Clearly a case of being beaten by a vastly superior team. A hammering would have dented the confidence from the word, so even though 3-0's disappointing, in some respects i'm relieved.

We're still aching for more firepower, though. The bench didn't bare looking at.

Old news now i would imagine, but where were Guthrie and Lovenkrands?

The scoreline is not showing a Chelsea wipeout but we were annihilated.

Christ. :doh: If we'd have lost 8-0, confidence would have been at an all-time low from the very beginning. It wasn't, it was respectable, and we'll fight on from here.

This. The players shouldn't feel too deflated from this defeat, which was my main concern before the match were we to be annihilated.

Can't complain too much with that.  Better teams will go to Old Trafford this season and come away with worse defeats.

That said, Nolan was abysmal.  Nowhere to be seen for the majority of the game.  We cannot afford passengers in this team this season and that's pretty much all he was.  We could have replaced him with a traffic cone in midfield and it would have had more involvement in the game.  Alan Smith isn't a midfielder, he drifted in and out of the game far too often and spent too much time chasing the wrong players leaving huge gaps in the middle.  Jonas wasn't up to much but the support around him (except for Jose) was non-existent for the most part.