Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest Rey Mysterio

Mostly shocking though. So far below top form. Doesn't help either of them when Cheik & Bigi play together though they feel the need to venture out of their comfort zones.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I think he's regressed as a player.

I'm not advocating selling him, because he does undoubtably bring strength to the midfielder, but if we did lose him for a decent fee I wouldn't be hugely bothered.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I think he's regressed as a player.

I'm not advocating selling him, because he does undoubtably bring strength to the midfielder, but if we did lose him for a decent fee I wouldn't be hugely bothered.

Can't agree whatsoever and I think his limitations will stop a 'top' club coming in for him and paying over the odds.

However, I would like to see him get back to basics.  He's trying long, hollywood balls, being even more nonchalent in dangerous areas than before and his discipline hasn't got any better. 

Seems like Pardew has given him more of a free reign to get about the pitch, either that or Cheik has decided he wants to.  I preferred him when he just played deeper and looked for short, quick passes. 

Agreed. He's a much better player when he keeps to the basics of nicking the ball and laying it off to more technically gifted players. He's still fantastic at winning the ball and turning his way out of trouble, but he has become more sloppy in his passing as he's trying to be more adventurous. The coaching staff badly need to have a word with him about this aspect of his game.

Guest neesy111

Agreed. He's a much better player when he keeps to the basics of nicking the ball and laying it off to more technically gifted players. He's still fantastic at winning the ball and turning his way out of trouble, but he has become more sloppy in his passing as he's trying to be more adventurous. The coaching staff badly need to have a word with him about this aspect of his game.

Maybe he's trying too hard to be this all-round footballer that Pardew said he can become ???

Never remember him saying that?  How mental!  But I do remember after beating West Ham 5-0 the season before last he said something like "I want to see more of Cheik going forward"

Err why, he's a very limited defensive midfield player.  Keep it that way.

Just remembered his two up and under, rugby style kicks last night.  That cross was in the air for a good 5 seconds :lol:

Fair point.  It's a shame Bigi doesn't do it, as his passing range looks better than Tiote's.

Taking away last night, do you not think he's been doing it for a while though?  I've certainly seen it mentioned by others on here.

Thing is Tiote is at his best when he gets the ball, turns his man, gets us going forward and then lays it on to an attacking player with a simple pass. He has a fairly decent amount of short and medium length passes on the ground. When tries the longer passes he isn't as good. There was one good one last night to Cisse in the box that was decent, but other than that he looked more like Nicky Butt trying those stupid lobbed balls when going long.

Appreciate Anita and Bigi didn't want to try them, but I'd prefer we kept on the deck and passed it around until Obertan or Sammy was on the ball.

Guest neesy111

Never remember him saying that?  How mental!  But I do remember after beating West Ham 5-0 the season before last he said something like "I want to see more of Cheik going forward"

Err why, he's a very limited defensive midfield player.  Keep it that way.

Just remembered his two up and under, rugby style kicks last night.  That cross was in the air for a good 5 seconds :lol:

It was after he signed that New Contract.  Pardew said he could become the complete footballer, he should just watch how he was in his 1st season and replicate that imo.

Guest neesy111

Thing is Tiote is at his best when he gets the ball, turns his man, gets us going forward and then lays it on to an attacking player with a simple pass. He has a fairly decent amount of short and medium length passes on the ground. When tries the longer passes he isn't as good. There was one good one last night to Cisse in the box that was decent, but other than that he looked more like Nicky Butt trying those stupid lobbed balls when going long.

Appreciate Anita and Bigi didn't want to try them, but I'd prefer we kept on the deck and passed it around until Obertan or Sammy was on the ball.

He needs to learn when it's best to do those hollywood balls, like the one v Reading, but last night it was full of the diagonal balls post 6-7 players which 9 times out of 10 not going to work.

I think the reason he's been doing too much is that due to our lack of creativity and his mentality he's trying to make things happen, which is something I'm not going to fault him for. Nicky Butt used to get a load of stick for the same thing too, but that was only because those around him who are the more creative players and are supposed to be the ones making things happen aren't.

I think the reason he's been doing too much is that due to our lack of creativity and his mentality he's trying to make things happen, which is something I'm not going to fault him for. Nicky Butt used to get a load of stick for the same thing too, but that was only because those around him who are the more creative players and are supposed to be the ones making things happen aren't.

Agree with this. Given the option of a simple pass, 90% of the time Tiote will not opt for the ambitious ball unless he's in a really good position - like unmarked on the wing by the edge of the opposition box - and his crossing isn't bad from there, FWIW.

It's not in his nature, really.

Our main problem is movement off the ball IMO. There seems to be a frustrating pall of stasis once we receive the ball, and no one is willing to move very far to be open to receive a ball. Think that's one really good thing our fringe team from last night has over our regular team. Sammy and Obertan were running so much off-the-ball, and so unpredictably. Really good to watch. Only HBA really drifts to receive the ball - when ideally someone else ought to be doing that - so he can begin his runs a bit further up the pitch, to get behind/through/between defences - not midfields!

Agree with this. Given the option of a simple pass, 90% of the time Tiote will not opt for the ambitious ball unless he's in a really good position - like unmarked on the wing by the edge of the opposition box - and his crossing isn't bad from there, FWIW.

It's not in his nature, really.

Our main problem is movement off the ball IMO. There seems to be a frustrating pall of stasis once we receive the ball, and no one is willing to move very far to be open to receive a ball. Think that's one really good thing our fringe team from last night has over our regular team. Sammy and Obertan were running so much off-the-ball, and so unpredictably. Really good to watch. Only HBA really drifts to receive the ball - when ideally someone else ought to be doing that - so he can begin his runs a bit further up the pitch, to get behind/through/between defences - not midfields!

:thup:

I also agrees with the last posts. The only reason Tioté, and all of the other midfielders is banging it long, is because of lack of movement or direct orders from Pardew. Our players are standing so far away from each other it gets impossible to have a good passing game. I want the team to start to play more closer to each other, both in defense and in attacks.

What has happened to Tioté I don´t know. The first season he definitely was one of the best midfielders in the league. He was a beast in the defense, never lost the ball, and always played it simple and was really good to keep the ball within the team and setting the tempo in games.

Now he always tries to dribble with the ball in every departments, seems so frustrated all the time and, as said, always tries the long ball. I don´t think he´s that bad at them. But It´s always harder to play a long ball than a short one.

I think the biggest problem, and that´s why Tioté is suffering, is the formations and tactics. Cabaye too always looks for the long ball.

It's one thing for a player to become a more complete footballer but if they start trying too many things to the detriment of his game then thats a worry. I remember Tiote just mopping up in front of the back four and playing simple passes to start attacks. I think he just needs to go back to basics a bit. It's also been a bit stop and start with niggles so I don't think he's been bang on pace at times which has probably contributed to miss timed tackles and bookings.