Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

I like Tiote but he's far too inconsistent. He played an incredible pass shortly after we scored the second that required a shit load of technique but he did it. But then I think back to Burnley last year where he was dog shit. In a perfect world, I'd keep him around just to play in the big games because that's where he's at his best. When we're the team that's more in possession, he doesn't offer much.

I don't doubt Tiote in his first 2 seasons, he was a class player...he deteriorated massively since then and shows glimpses (and not often) of looking like his old self, before, classically, getting hurt and repeating the f***ing process again.

The sooner we field 2 or 3 proper midfielders who can contribute to both ends of the pitch or play more positive football, the better, and it appears we are finally on that track.

:thup:

Tiote never bettered his performance in his debut versus Everton away imo (also Ben Arfa's).  Did exactly what he's best at, getting the ball and giving it. Never playing the ball more than 10 yards or holding on to it for more than 5 seconds.

I blame Pardew saying he wanted him to play more like Essien. He was never an all-action midfielder like that, we needed him to collect the ball and pass it on to more talented players to make stuff happen.

In other words, infuriating.

Tiote never bettered his performance in his debut versus Everton away imo (also Ben Arfa's).  Did exactly what he's best at, getting the ball and giving it. Never playing the ball more than 10 yards or holding on to it for more than 5 seconds.

I blame Pardew saying he wanted him to play more like Essien. He was never an all-action midfielder like that, we needed him to collect the ball and pass it on to more talented players to make stuff happen.

In other words, infuriating.

Nail on the head that.

The Pardew'd comment gets banded about a lot, i think in Tiote's case it was a perfect description for why Tiote stopped doing what was needed of him, and what was the best of him. Pardew thinking Tiote should be some all action playmaker, ridiculous stuff.

Wasn't there a period where he was captain and playing really well, or did I invent that in my head?

No you remember it right, i think it's just debatable whether he improved that much when captaining the side, did a little bit imo.

Considering our position in the league and he's recent come to form I think it'd be crazy to sell him.  Saivet is a complete unknown - hell of a gamble to expect him to hit the ground running.  Tiote and Shelvey would be my preferred pairing. You don't sell Premier League experience when you are in the bottom 3.

The optimist in me says keep keep keep. He has looked great since coming back into the team and he could have a part to play here yet.

The realist in me says he is 29 and has had essentially two or three  good games in nearly three years. He has the tools to be a major player for us. Don't think there are many people that would put him behind colback either. 8m is a bit hard to turn down on the hope he might suddenly turn up every week when we aren't playing big teams. Past form shows little to support the optimism.

I love cheik but probably time to cash in.

He's actually a midfielder who does a job on the pitch, unlike Anita and Colback who run around like little kids with no impact in attack of defense.

Anita's made twice as many tackles per game, twice as many interceptions, more clearances and less fouls and Anita isn't even a very useful player himself.  I don't get this idea that Tiote is a useful player, he occasionally steps up and has a really good game like he did against Arsenal, so does Anita (very good against Liverpool for instance).  But in general he's a liability, gets caught on the ball in crazy areas and sometimes goes through spells where he gives the ball away so often I could have sworn he had to be doing it deliberately.  Like I said he will have the odd all action performance, which is why we might actually manage to con someone into paying good money for him.  I say take it and move on.

He's actually a midfielder who does a job on the pitch, unlike Anita and Colback who run around like little kids with no impact in attack of defense.

Anita's made twice as many tackles per game, twice as many interceptions, more clearances and less fouls and Anita isn't even a very useful player himself.  I don't get this idea that Tiote is a useful player, he occasionally steps up and has a really good game like he did against Arsenal, so does Anita (very good against Liverpool for instance).  But in general he's a liability, gets caught on the ball in crazy areas and sometimes goes through spells where he gives the ball away so often I could have sworn he had to be doing it deliberately.  Like I said he will have the odd all action performance, which is why we might actually manage to con someone into paying good money for him.  I say take it and move on.

Were you the guy who said we'd start getting hammered in all our games when Anita got injured? We've just had our two best midfield performance of the season in his absence

When he understands what his capabilities are, then he's a good player. The problem is, Pardew made him believe he was more than a win it then give it to someone who can create type midfielder, see the Essien comments, and of course, him losing the ball in dangerous areas whilst attempting hypothetical Cruyff turns became common place. I'm clearly over egging that a tad but the point stands.