Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest Heneage

Hope he comes back f***ing furious. We lack a bit of bite in the middle of the park and this p*ssed-off, snarling, hard c*** might be just what we need for the derby.

Would depend on the ref for me. A few would look to make an example of him. If he provides the calm composed performance he did in the 5-1 I'll be delighted. He bossed both their midfielders that day to the point where Cattermole was hauled off for his own safety.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Got booked very early in the derby but remained composed and went on to teach Cattermole and co a footballing lesson.

Tiote: 'I Gave Away My Loser's Medal'

By Dan King - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Cheick Tiote has spoken for the first time about his African Cup of Nations heartbreak - and revealed that he gave away his runners-up medal because he did not want to be reminded of losing in the final.

He returned to Tyneside this week after the Ivory Coast lost on penalties to Zambia, meaning their 20-year wait to lift the trophy continued and the midfielder spoke exclusively to nufc.co.uk about the pain he is still feeling and how his Newcastle team-mates are helping to heal it.

The Ivorians were one of the favourites to lift the tournament before a ball was kicked, and cruised into the final without conceding a goal in any of their five matches. That record continued against outsiders Zambia, but Didier Drogba missed a penalty as the game finished 0-0 and went to extra time and a penalty shoot-out - which Tiote's team lost 8-7.

"All the people there, they love the national team and they love the country," said the 25-year-old. "So we are really disappointed because we didn't win the competition.

"I gave my medal to my friend because I was so disappointed. I didn't want to keep that, so I gave it to my friend.

"We did well, but we didn't win it. Maybe next year we will win the competition."

With the hopes of a country resting on his shoulders, Tiote showed great courage to step up and take the first penalty, slotting past Kennedy Mweene.

He explained: "Normally I never take penalties, but I took the responsibility to take a penalty because it was difficult for other players to take the first penalty.

"So I took the responsibility to take the first penalty and I scored, which gave confidence to my team-mates.

"But although we did well in the competition, in the final we were unlucky in the penalty shoot out and lost the game.

"That's football - you cannot win every time, so I will look to the next game ahead and stay positive."

That next game is against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday, when Tiote could make his first Barclays Premier League appearance since January's 3-0 win over Manchester United.

He has missed the Magpies' last seven games but despite the absence of such a key player, the team has remained in a top six position.

"We have a good squad, we have a lot of great players and I'm not surprised that we have done well because I know the players have good mentality and quality to win games," he said.

"So I think we need to keep doing the same things.

"I think it's a big moment for the team, because we lost the last game against Spurs. Five-nil, it was, and I was sad because we have a good team also.

"So now we have to keep our heads and do well to win this game on Saturday.

"It has been great to see my friends and to be back in Newcastle. Now I have to think about Newcastle, because the tournament with my national team is finished now.

"I think it's important when you come back from your national team to do more of what you do every time. I think it's important for the fans, and the manager, to see that we have ambition for the club to do well and to play well for the team.

"I have to do my job for the team and for the fans, and I think we have a possibility to win on Saturday."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120221/tiote-i-gave-away-my-losers-medal_2281670_2618768

Think some of us have taken Tiote for granted a little this season. With big breakthrough seasons for Krul, Cabaye, Ba as well as outstanding displays from Coloccini, it's been easy to forget just how important he is. Even when he's having one of those games when he's a bit sloppy with the ball, when it comes to stopping other teams playing, nobody in our squad comes close to Tiote and that has been obvious in the last month.

Nobody would have questioned him as our most important player last season but I think few would have chosen him this time round if asked a few weeks ago.

Guest Howaythetoon

Tiote is our unoffficial playmaker in that when he plays he drives our entire midfield forwards, and with it much closer to the attack which can help us pin sides back as we did against Spurs and Man Utd in particular. He covers that entire area of midfield its like you have an extra body in there due to his sheer tenacity, engine and movement. He's massive for us. Shame we'll lose him in the summer.

Tiote is our unoffficial playmaker in that when he plays he drives our entire midfield forwards, and with it much closer to the attack which can help us pin sides back as we did against Spurs and Man Utd in particular. He covers that entire area of midfield its like you have an extra body in there due to his sheer tenacity, engine and movement. He's massive for us. Shame we'll lose him in the summer.

If we qualify for the CL, there's every chance of keeping him.

Think some of us have taken Tiote for granted a little this season. With big breakthrough seasons for Krul, Cabaye, Ba as well as outstanding displays from Coloccini, it's been easy to forget just how important he is. Even when he's having one of those games when he's a bit sloppy with the ball, when it comes to stopping other teams playing, nobody in our squad comes close to Tiote and that has been obvious in the last month.

Nobody would have questioned him as our most important player last season but I think few would have chosen him this time round if asked a few weeks ago.

Nail on the head.

Guest Howaythetoon

If we qualify for the CL, there's every chance of keeping him.

I think he's the one player we could make massive profit on similar to Carroll and will be sold for that very reason, the club will believe in our own scouting network to find someone adequate enough to replace him as well. I think him and Ba leaving in the summer is a certainty. I hope not like but I can see others wanting them and wanting them emough to in Tiote's case, give us silly money. Ba obviously has some kind of clause in his contract and I can see someone like Man Utd or Spurs looking at him which could well turn his head.

That's the point though, we're not up against top teams. Two of our three rivals are Arsenal and Chelsea and they're both in a state of near-crisis. It's the weakest pool at the top for years and we've every chance of getting our foot in the door.