Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Tiote would be on the bench 70% of the time if he signed for either of those clubs. Would either really pay £25m for a player that is obsolete most of the time? Doubtful.

Disagree, I think he could start for Man U with Fletcher out. He's far better than Carrick in that role.

Which role? Carrick's a playmaker.

Carrick is supposed to have the defensive role in the midfield with Fletcher missing.

He's still much more deep-lying playmaker than he will ever be defensive midfielder. Tiote has played entirely as a dedicated DM, which not many of the bigger clubs even think they need.

He sits deep, yes, but he's a totally different player to Tiote. I can't really remember Man U ever playing a midfielder as defensive as Tiote with any significant frequency.

Ok, but that's not to say that he wouldn't improve them as a team. Tiote has a really good range of passing when he's not constantly passing back to our defense.

Tiote would be on the bench 70% of the time if he signed for either of those clubs. Would either really pay £25m for a player that is obsolete most of the time? Doubtful.

Disagree, I think he could start for Man U with Fletcher out. He's far better than Carrick in that role.

Which role? Carrick's a playmaker.

Carrick is supposed to have the defensive role in the midfield with Fletcher missing.

He's still much more deep-lying playmaker than he will ever be defensive midfielder. Tiote has played entirely as a dedicated DM, which not many of the bigger clubs even think they need.

I disagree but fair enough, your opinion.

Carrick is best described just as a 'midfielder', anything more specific implies he's especially good at something.

Underrated passer IMO. Decision-making not fantastic, athleticism nothing to write home about.

I wonder if the mongs clamoring for a goal to have been given as "it was obviously going in" now look back at their stupid statements with wide eyed wonder and disbelief. 

p.s. Suarez owns forever.  (except when he did a racism)

that long ago i can't remember exactly but did anyone say that or did they say the rule should be changed to that in future, bit like a penalty try in rugby union. as for the wide eyed wonder bit etc, i doubt they've changed their mind about it. as for it being stupid i'd say it was more stupid not to look at that and not see it as a situation that could be altered to reflect the seriousness of it as being seen as no deterrant from it happeing again.

Spot-on. I was one of those 'mongs' -- and I still think the whole rule needs to be revisited. And isn't football all about getting caught up in the heat of these moments, if, Thomas -- sorry, thomas -- you're implying that a football fan must act, think and speak with absolute rationality at every moment while watching a game.

The same rule exists in cricket and rugby, mong-sports?

• 2 weeks later...
Tiote warning to Newcastle fans

12:13pm Monday 30th January 2012 in

CHEIK TIOTE has told Newcastle United not to expect him to make as speedy a return to Tyneside as Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse have.

The Ivorian has featured in his side’s two victories in the Africa Cup of Nations, where Francois Zahoui’s team can win Group B outright today against Angola.

With their progression to the next phase assured, Tiote is doubly pleased that Senegal have been eliminated, with Ba and Cisse on their way home and the Ivory Coast can avoid one of the stronger teams in the tournament.

He said: “It helps us that Senegal are out because they have a lot of good players. We have to think about that. It shows the African Cup is different. It’s not like the Premiership or the French league. It’s very difficult.

“ We have to stay focused and if we do that we can win.

“Before the tournament Demba said to me that I would be back before him, but now he has to go back and I’m still at the Cup of Nations.

“ It’s good for Newcastle because they’ve two great strikers, but they’ll have to wait for me.”

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/9500873.Tiote_warning_to_Newcastle_fans/

He sits deep, yes, but he's a totally different player to Tiote. I can't really remember Man U ever playing a midfielder as defensive as Tiote with any significant frequency.

Hargreaves and coincedently, the last time they won the CL they need a destroyer as much as they need a creative player IMO.

"Before the tournament Demba said to me that I would be back before him, but now he has to go back and I’m still at the Cup of Nations."

:troll: :tiote:

I'm not expecting Cheik to be back anytime soon like, the Ivory Coast should get to the final/win the ACoN.....