Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

With the correct management Tiote can still be a cracking player.  How hard is it to instruct him to win the ball and move it on, and give him a bollocking if he tries to dribble it past 4 players and run it out of our own half.

Just thought I'd do some needless bragging.

With the correct management Tiote can still be a cracking player.  How hard is it to instruct him to win the ball and move it on, and give him a bollocking if he tries to dribble it past 4 players and run it out of our own half.

Just thought I'd do some needless bragging.

Was all that was required really. He's not Yaya Toure but he was always a much better player than he has looked for the last 12 months.

Yip - impressive again. He's ironically rediscovered his identity as we have discovered he bought it for 10 grand from a bloke at a Belgian train station

:lol:

Maybe it was actually worry about the court case that was affecting his form all that time!

He probably doesn't take his place in the team for granted anymore. Throw in the captaincy and it being World Cup year (he hasn't always been first choice for Ivory Coast lately has he?), and there's a few factors which can point to his good form.

I believe he's a mainstay in their squad. Wasn't called up for next matches cos he's suspended.

Cisse on the other hand will most likely kiss his WC ticket goodbye considering Ivory Coast's win in the first leg.

They suit him, he can just hack the ball away again and again and it's job done. It's when he's expected to contribute in a footballing sense that he's exposed for what he is.

Well, at least we've got someone who's good for those battling type of games!

Many on this forum never understood the difference between form and ability.

Tiote has the tools to be a solid midfielder, but had a terrible season last.

I don't think he was helped by our weird experiments with formations. Not many of our players looked like they really understood what their roles were.

couple of gems from judge ronaldo here

He needs singling out because he's a brainless idiot that costs us points and contributes nothing in a footballing sense. The rest generally do.

He can't retain the ball under pressure. It's nothing to do with Pardew or Essien or anything but Tiote being a pretty poor footballer.

It's garbage, tbh. Trying to dissect Cheick Tiote as a footballer is as pointless as offering an objective critique of Gary Glitter's sexual performance.

should be a nice graph charting people's overestimation of his ability, his preposterous nosedive in form and people's overreactions to that, vs. his actual level...was always going to be able to regain some sort of form doing what he's good at and using his physical attributes correctly

mind you, i did suggest they should lock him up and throw away the key for his driving licence charge :lol:

Being shit for 2 years isn''t bad form though.  Bad form is when you have a bad couple of games, maybe a month.  2 years is something else and for me it's rank bad coaching.  Trying to turn him into Essien was a ridiculously stupid move.

Stand by everything I said there. When he fits my definition of a good midfielder I'll hold my hands up.

Thing is with Tiote, if we win nobody gives a shit how he's actually played because it's just taken for granted that he's helped us see the game out. Good performance.