Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

On 5 live talking about the cb for Montenegro, don't even mention Taylor as an option after saying how there are no English cb playing as first choice for their club.

I don't really care, he's got less chance of getting injured sat on the bench than he has on the pitch.

On 5 live talking about the cb for Montenegro, don't even mention Taylor as an option after saying how there are no English cb playing as first choice for their club.

I don't really care, he's got less chance of getting injured sat on the bench than he has on the pitch.

True, doesn't get us the three points does it?

True, doesn't get us the three points does it?

Not if he's injured no.

I know he'd love to pull on the England top and play for his country (who wouldn't, in all honesty?) and reckon he could push on to the next level with that kind of a boost. Saying that he'll probably just break his face and we'll lose him for 49 months.

Newcastle are not a club who will benefit from him playing.

When is it ever a benefit for a club though?

Many players are a lot better for the experience they gain on international duty. A chance to play with different players, the matches have a different pace and the tactics vary from the league you're used to. Altogether different challenge. Of course, the injuries gained on international duty and the extra workload are a pain for any club manager, there are benefits to players playing for their country from a club's perspective. And not just from a money perspective.

Just not rated at all by the British press it seems. See him as a bit of a thicko who is a poor man's John Terry. Think Louise Taylor rates him (Guardian writer) and some of the North-East lot, but think he's seen as a bit of a joke by a lot of the rest. Suits us, but very harsh on him. Has always given his all (remember him hobbling up to take that penalty for England U21s) when asked so deserves a bit more than being forgotten behind players like Lescott and Shawcross.