Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Him and Mapoop next season if Colo leaves, sounds great to me.

We'd still need another defender in to replace the quality of Colo. Also you can't rely on Taylor due to his fitness record.

Guest bimpy474

Him and Mapoop next season if Colo leaves, sounds great to me.

We'd still need another defender in to replace the quality of Colo. Also you can't rely on Taylor due to his fitness record.

Aye, i reckon that might well be Douglas, we do seem to get who we chase in the end.

I'am remembering Saylor and his injury record, you simply have to, shame like.

Saylor is blood, guts and sometimes glory. I have a lot of time for him as a player. You need his type in the dressing room and in the first team. He's a better footballer than what he's given credit for.

IMO he should be captain or at least VC. Committed. Wears the shirt with pride. Only problem is, he's a bit of a daft lad and i'm sure the others know it  :lol:

He can do the basics and his more composed than Williamson but I don't think he's that good of a footballer. More often than not you'll see him pass the ball backwards to Krul or sideways as he knows his limitations. That's absolutely fine by me as he knows that. He's just not like Colo, Santon or even Debuchy who can look up and pick a pass from their position.

I don't think he's captain material as I don't think he has the full respect of all the players around him, like you said maybe it's because they know he's a bit of a daft lad? But when you see him out on the pitch with his pointless pointing he tends to get ignored by others.

I'd rather he just concentrated on getting his form and fitness back first and him being captain could be too much for him.

He made a lot of mistakes in his younger days trying to pass it out and its affected his game. In the countries the others come from, you can do that, make a mistake and you'll be told to persevere until it works.

But even still, for a central defender he has a decent first touch and we've seen he's not afraid to carry the ball forward. Colo's the ball carrying centreback and is better at it so smartly, Saylor falls back on that. But he's comfortable on the ball and he doesn't look out of his depth with the other lads at all. He was a decent fullback IIRC.

Add that to his Die Hard attitude and he's a good first team player imo.

In the Premiership you need at least one British defender imo. i can't think of one solid regular back 5 that didn't include one British lad. Even Chelsea had Le Saux when the vast majority of their team was foreign.

I thought the stick he got from some after the Villa match was unfair, getting beat in the air by Benteke is hardly something to be ashamed of BUT good to see he played well today, the block at the end sums him up

's not even like benteke murdered him time after time,

i don't even think today was a great game from him, that was just what he does.

His comments in this article been seen?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9843042/How-Newcastle-United-put-the-accent-on-French-in-their-battle-for-Premier-League-survival.html

But what does the French invasion mean for English players on Tyneside, particularly the youngsters trying to break into the first team?

“I don’t see it as a problem,” Taylor said. “It’s the same as when I was young, Newcastle were always signing new players. You’ve just got to rise to the challenge. You’ve got to better yourself. You can’t sulk. You’re at a massive club, deal with it.

“It’s part and parcel of professional football. There have been players here the last few months who’ve got too comfortable, they’ve been too settled in their position. The competition is healthy.

“You’re not going to get a team of 11 Geordies. The Premier League is a melting pot.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9843042/How-Newcastle-United-put-the-accent-on-French-in-their-battle-for-Premier-League-survival.html

But what does the French invasion mean for English players on Tyneside, particularly the youngsters trying to break into the first team?

“I don’t see it as a problem,” Taylor said. “It’s the same as when I was young, Newcastle were always signing new players. You’ve just got to rise to the challenge. You’ve got to better yourself. You can’t sulk. You’re at a massive club, deal with it.

“It’s part and parcel of professional football. There have been players here the last few months who’ve got too comfortable, they’ve been too settled in their position. The competition is healthy.

“You’re not going to get a team of 11 Geordies. The Premier League is a melting pot.”

I hope he still has that attitude when/if Yanga-Mbiwa takes his place. :thup:

I hope he still has that attitude when/if Yanga-Mbiwa takes his place. :thup:

Is it my imagination but didnt someone else mention that players had become settled in their own positions, might have just been a general board comment not too sure. Possibly finishing as high as we did last season some were still patting themselves on the back for a job well done while the season was turning to shit. Nice to see signing players can scare a bit more fear in to those who think a season is enough to secure your place forever.