Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Really good to see him back to his best today - real man-crush with him and Debuchy at the end as well, doing their lap of honour arm-in-arm.

He used to love Habib Beye as well, was always amused by that relationship :laugh:

Guest wallsendmags1990

Really good to see him back to his best today - real man-crush with him and Debuchy at the end as well, doing their lap of honour arm-in-arm.

He was indeed, love the passion he shows, even took one in the jacubs at the end of the game. What a bloke

Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor is learning French in order to adapt to an influx of new team-mates but has also welcomed the competition for places.

Yoan Gouffran, Massadio Haidara, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Moussa Sissoko all moved from across The English Channel in the January transfer window.

The arrivals have added to an already strong French-speaking contingent at St James' Park and Taylor is adjusting by learning a new language.

Redknapp's Newcastle v Chelsea preview

Having seen Frenchman Yohan Cabaye learn English by listening to CDs in his car, Taylor is doing likewise and said in the Daily Mirror: "I'm talking all the time, probably with a terrible accent, but I'm trying. Thumbs up means good. I got a Spanish GCSE, not French.

"It'll be nice to learn a bit of French, just in case."

Ahead of Saturday afternoon's game against Chelsea, Taylor is also optimistic the new faces at Newcastle will help in their battle against Premier League relegation by removing any complacency.

"Since I was 17, Newcastle were always signing new players. I always saw it as a challenge," he said.

"New players coming in freshens the squad up and you've just got to rise to the challenge. You've got to better yourself, not sulk.

"You're at a massive club, deal with it. It's part and parcel of professional football. The best thing you can do is, when you get the chance, you've got to perform.

"There have been players here the last few months who have got too comfortable, they've been too settled in their position."