Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Nigeria bows to Newcastle United over Ameobi

P.M. News-17 minutes ago

Super Eagles Chief Coach, Stephen Keshi appears to have given up on his battle to land Newcastle striker, Shola Ameobi for next month's African Cup of ..

Guest neesy111

I don't understand.  Such clause have higher hierarchy than FIFA's rule? When a player also has no right to choose not to go?

This is what I was wondering.  I'm sure FIFA could overrule that clause in his contract if the Nigerian FA really wanted him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20844286

Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi has admitted he could have problems ensuring Newcastle release Shola Ameobi for the Africa Cup of Nations finals.

Magpies boss Alan Pardew insists his striker will not go to South Africa.

"Apparently, there is a clause in his contract that he would not dump the team for the Nations Cup," Keshi said.

Meanwhile the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) says it will report Millwall to Fifa if they do not release defender Danny Shittu for the event.

Both players were named in an initial squad of 32 for the finals, which take place between 19 January and 10 February.

However Keshi has not given up all hope of Ameobi being part of his squad.

"I spoke with Shola Ameobi and he said his coach did not speak with him even before going to the press," he said.

"But Shola has said he would speak with the coach after their game against Manchester United and get back to me.

"I must confess that with this latest revelation from Shola we are in a tight corner because the club is uncertain of the future of Demba Ba."

I'd feel a bit sorry for Shola if he couldn't go.  This will probably be the onl chance he ever gets to experience a big international tournament and I think he deserves to give it a go.

Could be a good chance for us to give the youngsters some game time (or bench time) depending on what happens in the transfer window.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20844286

Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi has admitted he could have problems ensuring Newcastle release Shola Ameobi for the Africa Cup of Nations finals.

Magpies boss Alan Pardew insists his striker will not go to South Africa.

"Apparently, there is a clause in his contract that he would not dump the team for the Nations Cup," Keshi said.

Meanwhile the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) says it will report Millwall to Fifa if they do not release defender Danny Shittu for the event.

Both players were named in an initial squad of 32 for the finals, which take place between 19 January and 10 February.

However Keshi has not given up all hope of Ameobi being part of his squad.

"I spoke with Shola Ameobi and he said his coach did not speak with him even before going to the press," he said.

"But Shola has said he would speak with the coach after their game against Manchester United and get back to me.

"I must confess that with this latest revelation from Shola we are in a tight corner because the club is uncertain of the future of Demba Ba."

If true, ouch.

Okay apart from not being that good why doesn't Shola deserve some respect? He hasn't forced us to pay those wages or picked himself in the side but he has played through numerous injuries when we have been desperate.

We don't owe Shola owt, man. He gets paid around £150,000 a month to be useful twice a year.

aye mate, i'm sure if your employer treated you like shit you'd think "oh well, i guess thats okay, seeing as they pay me" :lol: dosn't matter what agenda you've got against Shola, hes still a human being and an employee of the club, no need for a manager to do that in any organisation, which i doubt Pardew did.

Okay apart from not being that good why doesn't Shola deserve some respect? He hasn't forced us to pay those wages or picked himself in the side but he has played through numerous injuries when we have been desperate.

I agree, I don't rate Shola as a player but he's been a perfect professional and deserves to play international football as much as anybody at the club if a country is daft enough to pick him.

We don't owe Shola owt, man. He gets paid around £150,000 a month to be useful twice a year.

aye mate, i'm sure if your employer treated you like s*** you'd think "oh well, i guess thats okay, seeing as they pay me" :lol: dosn't matter what agenda you've got against Shola, hes still a human being and an employee of the club, no need for a manager to do that in any organisation, which i doubt Pardew did.

Shola's been treated like royalty here by just about everyone bar Allardyce and Keegan who knew exactly what his value to the club was.

aye mate, i'm sure if your employer treated you like s*** you'd think "oh well, i guess thats okay, seeing as they pay me" :lol: dosn't matter what agenda you've got against Shola, hes still a human being and an employee of the club, no need for a manager to do that in any organisation, which i doubt Pardew did.

Shola's been treated like royalty here by just about everyone bar Allardyce and Keegan who knew exactly what his value to the club was.

Spot on. He's a crock of shit who has been afforded god like status for the odd goal against the mackems.

His abilities are not relevant to how you treat the guy. Could be the worst player in the world, still don't treat him like a bag of shit, given his own exemplary behaviour.

Plus, it's a bit much saying the guy is SO SHIT that we can't afford to miss him for a month.

Spot on. He's a crock of shit who has been afforded god like status for the odd goal against the mackems.

so you think that just because hes a shit footballer the manager should treat him like shit? aye because that'll help us, what with our abundance of back-up forwards :lol:

How could such a clause possibly exist? Neither Shola nor the club have the power to prevent Nigeria calling him up.

The clause is that during international fixture windows Shola is actually employed as an apple vendor.  You can't call apple vendors up according to FIFA.

How could such a clause possibly exist? Neither Shola nor the club have the power to prevent Nigeria calling him up.

The clause is that during international fixture windows Shola is actually employed as an apple vendor.  You can't call apple vendors up according to FIFA.

Crazy if true, this club gets madder by the minute.