Robbie Keane

Doctor Zaius

Gosling must wonder what he was doing. He'll be well down the pecking order when he recovers.....the squad will just be too big if Keane comes in.

Squad too big? Are you serious? :lol:

I dont think that statement is that ridiculous. In certain areas of the field, we are way too overstocked, but a the same time we are quite light in the LB position and on the wings.

We have way too many midfielders and strikers. However, their quality is a whole different matter.

Gosling must wonder what he was doing. He'll be well down the pecking order when he recovers.....the squad will just be too big if Keane comes in.

Squad too big? Are you serious? :lol:

The idea of having actual competition and a subs bench with quality on clearly alien to some. It's not happened here for ages so maybe fair enough.

Nobody outside the top 8 teams will have such competition. If Smith and Xisco go, and we loan out Vuckic and/or Ranger, then fair enough. I just don't see it happening though.

In home games where we were looking to really have a go at teams I'd consider playing Keane up front with Carroll and starting HBA instead of Jonas.

Amazed that anyone could be against bringing Keane in on loan. God forbid we actually have options in terms of how we approach a game.

How is having too many players a bad thing? Seriously, I just can't see it - the more players, the better. Especially with our injury record.

I suppose keeping them all happy would be one thing

How is having too many players a bad thing? Seriously, I just can't see it - the more players, the better. Especially with our injury record.

I suppose keeping them all happy would be one thing

This.  :thup:

The morale in the team is a big factor, no matter of how many quality players we'll sign.

In home games where we were looking to really have a go at teams I'd consider playing Keane up front with Carroll and starting HBA instead of Jonas.

Amazed that anyone could be against bringing Keane in on loan. God forbid we actually have options in terms of how we approach a game.

I would never drop Jonas, he makes Enrique better, their communication is great and together their linkup play is great. Would be just dumb to drop Jonas.

I really don't think Ben arfa will play on the wing, one of the reasons he wanted to come here was because he would be played in the centre. He will either partner Tiote or play of Carroll.

It is a nice dilemma to debate over though.

I would never drop Jonas, he makes Enrique better, their communication is great and together their linkup play is great. Would be just dumb to drop Jonas.

I like Jonas, but it's pretty much impossible to deny that he has absolutely no end product whatsoever. His running and work rate will make him invaluable against the better sides we'll face this season, but if we want to really attack teams then he might be droppable.

The point is more that signing Keane would give us another option, a different way we can play, and more importantly gives us depth for when we have an injury or two.

I'm interested to see what sort of team we have if we start Ben Arfa instead of Nolan... that may just be our best 11. But what if Routledge or Jonas gets injured? I'd much rather push Ben Arfa out wide and play Keane up front than stick Ryan Taylor or Guthrie out wide.

Guest localhero87

Get Keane and I'd put a canny sum on you finishing above Sunderland.

you should be doing that anyway, sir.

I really don't think Ben arfa will play on the wing, one of the reasons he wanted to come here was because he would be played in the centre. He will either partner Tiote or play of Carroll.

It is a nice dilemma to debate over though.

There's no chance he will play cm with Tiote imo. He'd be more effective than either of our current wingers, but I really can't see the left side being broken up hence if Keane came in I could only see Routledge getting dropped. The free role will suite him best but he does seem to enjoy drifting out wide quite a lot.