Newcastle United 0 - 2 Blackpool - 11/9/10 - post match reaction from page 20

JH

I was at the game but what are the comments about Nolan/subs about?

Apparently Nolan signalled to the bench that we needed a substitution. Think I saw him make the 'change' gesture but didn't really think anything of it at the time.

Pissed me off how tight everything was today. They obviously tried to be in our faces all the time but we seemingly did nothing to combat it.

We didn't use the width of the pitch nearly as well as the last few months of last season. Very narrow and lots of dallying on the edge of the box in an attempt to thread it through - not what we've been good at really.

I was at the game but what are the comments about Nolan/subs about?

Apparently Nolan signalled to the bench that we needed a substitution. Think I saw him make the 'change' gesture but didn't really think anything of it at the time.

Think the initial misinterpretation on the radio was that it was a sub signal, but then they changed tack and said that it was more of a geeing up to the team signal.

Oh, another thing that I liked about HBA was that he was always signalling for the ball, hope he keeps that up. :thup:

Guest prestonj1989

Just got back. Thank god we signed Ben Arfa. Enrique, Perch, Jonas and Routledge should all be in training tomorrow learning how to cross a ball. I can't understand how professional footballers that train everyday still can't master the basics such as crossing and being able to kick the ball with their 'weaker' foot.

Nailed on pen then? (I haven't seen it back yet) First reaction today for me was that it was a pen, from where I was sitting in the Gallowgate. My mate disagreed as did a few others.

No need to press the panic button yet, but I hope Hughton takes on board what he got wrong today and makes changes accordingly. Unfortunately I believe Nolan will be in the team for some time yet, being club captain, etc. He does seem to be Hughton's blue eyed boy.

With regards to the width issue, the pitch is a lot narrower this season (and that I've ever seen here) Each wing has been pulled in by at least a couple of yards. Probably to try and condense the play against the better sides, but it's not too good when your own wingers run out of room!

I thought Smith was a bit unlucky. It looked like he got the ball before making contact with the man, but it would have been a difficult spot for the ref.

It looked like Blackpool got their tactics right. They stifled us pretty effectively and played some decent stuff themselves. In games like that we need plenty of movement in midfield and that's where Smith doesn't come in.

I liked the flashes of skill from Ben Arfa - he's a very good runner with the ball. The others will have to learn that it's okay to give him the ball even when he doesn't have much space. He can actually take advantage of players getting tight on him.