Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Sorry but he was shit today, even that ball for Nolan (who should have done better) was over hit.

He ran at people and created space when he came on. We all know his final ball is poor, but his drive certainly added a bit more compared to what was occurring beforehand.

Though he was abysmal today, did one decent thing and that was over hit, other than that was utter shit.

What I found interesting about that cross was that it had to be almost inch perfect seeing as Nolan can't get to any passes in front of him. This one landed right at his feet and it was the only chance in open play he had all game.

The only reason Routledge was not subbed today Hughton could not see him.. its very hard to see the invisible man.

Jonas should have replaced Routledge, I thought HBA was quiet BUT him and Jonas both on the pitch would give a back four a lot more to cope with.

Gutierrez played an absolutely gash ball into the box in the last few minutes but other than that he was a bit if fresh air, I said it once and ill say it again keV Nolan needs to be dropped and Ben arfa needs to take his role, him and guti linking up could be fairly interesting

Thought he did alreet when he came on. I'd like to see Jonas back on the left wing, Ben Arfa in Nolan's role.

Also about time Nolan was dropped to the bench imo.

It felt like someone had to go to accommodate Nolan and it wasn't gonna be Ben Arfa, so Gutierrez went. He hasn't been great but he tracks back, has pace, carries the ball well and links up well with Enrique.

Ben Arfa has clearly shown he prefers to operate from the middle and drift out wide now and again. So frutrating because Stoke looked very vulnerable down the right, but out only natural left winger was on the bench.

At home we must have players like Gutierrez starting. We don't exactly have a wealth of riches in that position, in fact we've got bugger all so why drop him. Just didn't make any sense to me.

Will be interesting against City because there's more reason to pack the midfield for that one. If we do go 4-5-1 I'd rather see Routledge dropped than Gutierrez. At home in a 4-4-2 I see no reason why both shouldn't play.

Don't realy understand this whole "Jonas was shit" bollox, I thougt he looked our most dangerous player when he came on (which wasn't hard to be honest).

This wasn't a game where creativity was needed though, we would have been better off just fielding our tallest side, regardless of ability, and just hoofed the fucker back up at them. I would have stuck Ole Soderberg up front to be honest.

Don't realy understand this whole "Jonas was s***" bollox, I thougt he looked our most dangerous player when he came on (which wasn't hard to be honest).

This wasn't a game where creativity was needed though, we would have been better off just fielding our tallest side, regardless of ability, and just hoofed the f***er back up at them. I would have stuck Ole Soderberg up front to be honest.

Exactly - bar one bad pass - really can't see what he did wrong.  He actually injected some directness and urgency into our play and had Stoke pretty worried.

Sorry but he was s*** today, even that ball for Nolan (who should have done better) was over hit.

Can pretty much garentee that if Ben Arfa had have done the same this forum would have been full to the brim with comments about how it was the best piece of individual play we'd seen in a Newcastle shirt since Ginola was here :lol:

Don't realy understand this whole "Jonas was s***" bollox, I thougt he looked our most dangerous player when he came on (which wasn't hard to be honest).

This wasn't a game where creativity was needed though, we would have been better off just fielding our tallest side, regardless of ability, and just hoofed the f***er back up at them. I would have stuck Ole Soderberg up front to be honest.

Exactly - bar one bad pass - really can't see what he did wrong.  He actually injected some directness and urgency into our play and had Stoke pretty worried.

Agreed Jonas is one of our best players and he was clearly our only player threatening Stoke when he came on.  He's one of the few players that come out of yesterday with any good marks for me and he nearly dragged us back into the game on his own. Can't believe CH benches him and plays Nolan.

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton has hinted that he could recall Jonas Gutierrez to the starting line-up for the clash with Manchester City.

The Magpies take on City at Eastlands on Sunday in the Premier League as they look to bounce back from their defeat at home to Stoke last time out.

Gutierrez has lost his place in the side in recent games but came off the bench to impress against the Potters at St James' Park.

The 27-year-old Argentina international could make a return to the starting line-up against City though, despite only starting four league games so far this term.

"I thought Jonas was good when he came on against Stoke. He was never out of my thoughts to be honest - he is a player who offers us plenty," Hughton told the Newcastle Journal.

"He has missed a couple of league games for us but it is very much a squad game and he played well against Chelsea in the Carling Cup.

"He has probably been a bit unfortunate really.

"When he came off the bench he showed us exactly what he does well. He is direct, and I think there was one run in particular where he ran from one end of the pitch to the other which took a bit of the pressure off and turned defence into attack.

"I'm well aware of what Jonas can do and of course he's in my thoughts as they all are."

Gutierrez has often played at right-back for Argentina but Hughton refuses to select him in defence

He added: "Jonas is a strong player defensively because of the running he does but he is definitely an attacking player in my mind. I won't be playing him at right-back."

Nah Routledge will stay on, i think CH sees him as our most dangerous crosser of the ball and considering he bases our system on Carroll and Nolan, he's going to set up to their strengths.

which ought to mean getting someone in to help out perch or raylor a bit more.