Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Ok seriously:

Jonas and enrique= very solid defensively and very good offensively. Jonas sometimes lacks the final ball but scares the shitt out of defenders.

Perch and Routledge= not routledges fault so much but they are a nuch weaker combination and I bet my bottom dollar that if it waS JONAS AND pERCH  they would be better defensively. Routledge has pace and can cross but he doesn't do it that often either...

Before we signed Routledge and Ben Arfa, Jonas was 100% necessary to us as the only pacy winger we had. Irrespective of his final ball, at least he opened things up a bit and occupied the opposition defenders.

Sadly for him, now we have Routledge and Ben Arfa. If he can't find the ability to deliver a good final ball (And 2+ seasons with us suggest he's not in a hurry to find one) then I'd much rather see the former 2 players starting every single time.

Before we signed Routledge and Ben Arfa, Jonas was 100% necessary to us as the only pacy winger we had. Irrespective of his final ball, at least he opened things up a bit and occupied the opposition defenders.

Sadly for him, now we have Routledge and Ben Arfa. If he can't find the ability to deliver a good final ball (And 2+ seasons with us suggest he's not in a hurry to find one) then I'd much rather see the former 2 players starting every single time.

That's a good point. I've been defending him alot before because of that exactly, and now when these two are here he is just a squad member. But injuries will come and he will get his outings.

To be fair, Routledge's crossing has been abysmal thus far too.

Put in a couple of decent crosses against Everton IIRC.

And he's shown that he is a good crosser of the ball in the championship, I have no doubt he will get better. Said before the season started that he'd get around 8 assists, still think he'll get there.

I still think we will see Jonas, Ben Arfa and Routledge all playing together against some sides. Everton needed a bit more steel in midfield, maybe.

Back 5

Tiote          Barton

Routledge          Ben Arfa       Jonas

Carroll

:pedro:

I still think we will see Jonas, Ben Arfa and Routledge all playing together against some sides. Everton needed a bit more steel in midfield, maybe.

Back 5

Tiote          Barton

Routledge          Ben Arfa       Jonas

Carroll

:pedro:

100% at home

Jonas' biggest plus is his ability to run with the ball and his work up and down the flanks which helps out the full back(usually Enrique).

He has always been poor at putting in a DECENT cross or final ball and as for goals....

Good to have in the side mainly at home when there is a need to take some pressure off the midfield and defence, but I can see his appearances being restricted if Ben Arfa and Routledge keep their form.

Routledge runs into blind alleys but his play is more varied than Jonas' because he will also come inside whereas Jonas sticks to the flank.

Would much rather see Jonas on the right with Barfa on the left, with them switching wings now and then during our 'attacking periods of play'. We might actualy see him put in a decent ball from the byline and I think Perch/Simpson/Raylor need his help on the defensive side of things more than Enrique.

I actualy think him an Raylor could form a decent partnership, Raylor for me is probably our best crosser of the ball and Jonas would certainly give him more oppotunities to get the ball into the box.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

That's a good point about Jonas helping out the right back actually.

Makes me think. If Perch doesn't get any better and Simpson isn't coming back anytime soon, should we do a Maradona and play him at right back?

:kinnear: :frantic:

Was really poor when he came on against Everton, not the man you need late on, defending a lead, away from home.

He's going to see an awful lot of the bench.

he was playing centre forward to be fair! Not really his favoured position is it?

Shouldn't stop you from putting a decent shift in though, was back to his 'oh fuck it' when he lost it or a ball was overplayed instead of chasing back after it.

Jonas should be an automatic starter when we play away from home imo, Nolan played well against Everton but we'll have far sterner tests over the rest of the season and i still see him as a luxury passenger away from home.

Jonas' strengths are his dribbling/retention, stamina, pace, link-up play with Enrique and willingness to defend when he's up for it. In a sense he's the perfect winger when you're in a frenetic, end-to-end slog of a match and need as much time to breathe and regroup as much as possible. I think teams would be scared of our counter-attacking pace in Ben Arfa, Routledge and Jonas as well, they'll certainly be a lot more cautious when in attack and if they do underestimate us we have the ability to punish them. At home it's a different story though, Nolan should start for now as he is more effective in terms of goals and is more of a direct threat.

People slate Jonas but he's not anywhere near as bad as some make out, i think he's a good player who's been given a job that is unfortunately above his station as until Ben Arfa came in, he was seen as our chief creator in a sense and a lot of attacking pressure was placed on him. Now although i think he's good, he's not good enough to be the focal point of our attack as he doesn't have enough of 'instinct' or know how. I do think it's a bit unfair to judge him until he's had a chance of playing with Ben Arfa and Tiote though, they create so much more space and provide much better options and everyone could see the impact that had on our players against Everton, maybe that's exactly what Jonas needs to fulfill his potential.