Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Can't cross, pass, shoot or run.

Mick's right, how bad could he be?

He can cross, he can pass, he can shoot and he can run.  He's going through a bad patch and he'll come through it.  I don't think any of our players have played in as many different positions as Jonas has for us and I'm not surprised that his game has suffered for it.  He puts loads of effort into games, even when things aren't going well for him.

So he pissing should. Graft is the only thing he brings to the team.

Lets praise Tim Krul for diving at the odd ball while we're at it.

I love it when Krul dives for the odd ball, he's brilliant.  Happy?

When Pardew went to put an arm around him at full time, Jonas was shaking his head with disgust at himself. He knows he's making some shocking mistakes, and contributing little, yet he doesn't know how to turn it around. Anyone who's played football consistently for any decent amount of time will understand this feeling.

Sometimes you get stuck in a rut and you're not sure what it is that needs to be done. A spell on the bench is one solution that's for sure. Always gives a player perspective and a chance to gather their thoughts. This is especially true in Jonas' case as he seems to want to rush everything he does on the pitch these days.

The reason why there is such polar opposite opinions on Jonas is that it depends on what you expect from him. If you want an attacking winger with skill on the ball, dribbling and good crosses, then that is never going to be Jonas. But if you want a defensive winger who runs his bollocks off and provides cover to the full back to protect a lead, then Jonas fits the bill. I'd start Marveux and Jonas to come on if we need defensive reinforcement. For the record, I thought he did reasonably well given his role on Tuesday. Cabaye's goal originated from his cross indirectly and that goal line clearance was as vital as any goal. There's no doubt that Jonas is now the weakest link in our first 11, and since Williamson and Simpson can no longer be targets, some fans including here on NO latch on to him and dish out unwarranted severe criticism. I will not be surprised if he was in the top 3 players for the most ground covered last Tuesday and no don't come out with stupid comments like you can get anyone to just run around. You need stamina (loads of it), good positional sense and some moderate pace to do the sort of covering that Jonas does, not just any fucker can do that. 

He can cross, he can pass, he can shoot and he can run.  He's going through a bad patch and he'll come through it.  I don't think any of our players have played in as many different positions as Jonas has for us and I'm not surprised that his game has suffered for it.  He puts loads of effort into games, even when things aren't going well for him.

Of the 4 things running is the only thing he can do at the moment

It's not a bad patch, patches last a few games not all season. I like the guy and I hate seeing him play like this BUT we have to accept he just has nothing significant to offer. At his best he couldn't cross or shoot, his passing was okay BUT now that has gone to pot, he just runs around struggling to beat a man and struggling to make a decent pass

He looked pretty decent last season when he would link up with Hatem and they'd do some nice one touch passing, so maybe there's hope for him if he can slot back into the middle. Unfortunately however, he's way down in the pecking list to appear in the CM role, so I'm not really sure what we can do with him :/

He is not even close to as bad as people make him out on here to be.  Would I start him?  Probably not at the moment.  But, as I have a few times before, if we are playing 4-2-3-1, we sure as hell need one of our wingers (if not both) to be offering cover to our full backs.  In this regard, he is exceptional.

Santon ends up being the winger and the full back when he's partnering Jonas.

He's currently in very bad form and has seemingly lost the only thing he really had going for him: pace. He's no use in the team now and he either needs to lose some weight, become as thin as when he joined or just get to work in the gym on his legs. Either way, he is a liability on the pitch both when we need a goal and when we need to defend one.

Santon has been a poor defensive fullback a lot this season. If anything Jonas does his job for him. Don't remember the last solid defensive performance from Santon without Jonas.

I think he was saying that Santon has to attack constantly because Jonas offers so little going forward. It's a delicate balance with Santon and Jonas... Jonas does offer some protection but would Santon be able to defend more if a more attacking player was in front of him? I don't really know the answer.

Jonas is so overrate by many NUFC supporters. To try and get a more balanced picture about things I always try to ask myself "if he played for another club what would I think then?" in this case I would say that he is not good enough.

Anyway, this whole "he´s a good cover defensively" thing that seems to be the topic now in the discussion is something I can agree with a bit. I agree with it that it´s what he´s best at. But at the same time I think that he hasn´t been that effective at that of late. Take the last game. The wings was so open and Jonas were no where to be seen. In this case though I think we could always say it´s Pardews fault.

His crossing is not great, but it's improved 100% since the early days. I've said this a few times in this thread already, we've got to the stage where we've outgrown Jonas now. He should be replaced by a player who can provide quality service, but the players who can do that such as Marveaux don't put in anything like as much graft, or help out when we haven't got the ball. That's why Jonas is still going to be a vital member of the squad for at least this season. There will be times when we need those qualities.

Santon has been a poor defensive fullback a lot this season. If anything Jonas does his job for him. Don't remember the last solid defensive performance from Santon without Jonas.

I think he was saying that Santon has to attack constantly because Jonas offers so little going forward. It's a delicate balance with Santon and Jonas... Jonas does offer some protection but would Santon be able to defend more if a more attacking player was in front of him? I don't really know the answer.

Well he was piss poor defensively without Jonas so the answer is probably no.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably the funniest thing i've read on the internet this decade.

The fact we had Jonas in there - incapable of holding the ball or retaining possession in any way - was one of the direct reasons for why he was useful once or twice in absolutely desperate situations in our own box.

The fact we had Jonas in there - incapable of holding the ball or retaining possession in any way - was one of the direct reasons for why he was useful once or twice in absolutely desperate situations in our own box.

Is the truth. He benefits from his own ineptitude, much like Alan Smith did at times.

His crossing is not great, but it's improved 100% since the early days. I've said this a few times in this thread already, we've got to the stage where we've outgrown Jonas now. He should be replaced by a player who can provide quality service, but the players who can do that such as Marveaux don't put in anything like as much graft, or help out when we haven't got the ball. That's why Jonas is still going to be a vital member of the squad for at least this season. There will be times when we need those qualities.

Jonas wouldn't be in my first 11, at the minute he isn't keeping anybody better out of the team.