Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Is this the end for Spiderman?

11:59am Monday 9th January 2012 in Sport

By Paul Fraser »

Chief Football Writer

JONAS GUTIERREZ has warned Newcastle United’s supporters they could have seen the last of his Spiderman mask, unless the FA relax their rules.

Gutierrez’s reward for celebrating his superb winner by putting on his trademark mask in Saturday’s FA Cup tie with Blackburn was a yellow card.

Referee Kevin Friend felt it was unsporting and went against the rules of the game, which has led Gutierrez to think his days as the superhero could be over.

“I sometimes have it down my trousers, sometimes I don’t,” said the Argentine.

“I didn’t want to get the yellow card. It is worth it because if I had been close to a suspension I would not have done it.

“Maybe it is the last time I have the mask if it means I will get booked every time.”

At least he was satisfied to have helped Newcastle claim a place in the fourth round.

Gutierrez said: “The cup is important to us. It is a big opportunity for us to get in to Europe. It is a quicker route to Europe than the Premier League. We have to try to make the most of it.”

The victory was achieved without striker Demba Ba, who is now on Africa Cup of Nations duty with Senegal.

Ba’s future has been questioned following Harry Redknapp’s decision to inform the rest of the Premier League about a clause in the Newcastle striker’s contract.

While Redknapp did not reveal the details of the clause in 15-goal Ba’s Tyneside deal, it has been claimed he has the option to leave for the right price if a club that qualified for Europe comes in for him.

“I just think the media tripped up Harry a little bit,” said Pardew.

Ba signed a three-year deal last summer and Pardew added: “You don’t want to talk about other players in the window and I’m sure he regrets it.

“He’s a Newcastle player and has been brilliant for us and that’s all I want to say about it.”

Pardew feels Newcastle’s 2-1 victory over Blackburn – courtesy of second half stunners from Hatem Ben Arfa and Gutierrez – will hearten the Newcastle squad.

“It was an important game because Cheik Tiote (who has gone to the Africa Cup of Nations with Ivory Coast) and Demba were away, yet we got a victory.

We can go to QPR in good heart,” he said.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/9460317.Is_this_the_end_for_Spiderman_/

The club should seek a ruling from the FA on it. He's not obscuring the shirt sponsor, he didn't antagonise the opposition fans/dugout or waste too much time - shouldn't be a booking.

Can someone tell me what the actual rule/reason for why he got booked? I can just about understand getting booked for taking your shirt off, however i'd still say that it was harsh. But masks... some players wear masks and/or headgear for ninety minutes. Yes, that is for medical reasons, but they are just as harmless. Or just as un/likely to incense a crowd.

On what grounds can you book him for that like? Don't think I've ever come across anyone who was offended by Spiderman.

Apparenly Dr Octopus was in the away end and looking quite upset by the whole thing.

Its ok though. Mr, Gutierrez has an octopus for a grandfather and many octopus friends and Octopus' Garden is his favorite Beatles song. He does not discriminate against cephalopods.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/09/pardew-ben-arfa-s-goal-worth-the-ticket-price-72703-30083821/

Pardew: Ben Arfa's goal worth the ticket price

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Jan 9 2012

ALAN PARDEW agreed the sensational Hatem Ben Arfa goal which dumped Blackburn Rovers out of the FA Cup was worth the price on the ticket.

Pardew saluted the 30,000-plus crowd which meant Newcastle provided one of the best attendances of FA Cup third round day.

However, he feels they can only have been thrilled by a strike undoubtedly one of the best goals ever seen at St James’ Park.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “I would have paid good money to have seen that goal.

“I am so delighted for the 30,000 who could afford to come and see that goal.”

Pardew rated the goal as the best he had ever seen from a technical sense as a player and manager.

He added: “I said in the press I have never seen a better goal in my eyes, technically I am talking about.

“You can see wonder goals, but not many players can do what Ben Arfa did to get that goal.

“He twisted and turned, stopped and started, left foot, right foot and he then had the composure to finish it. It was a truly unbelievable goal.”

Pardew also revealed that, while he had enjoyed one of the best views in the house for Ben Arfa’s goal, the late excitement as Newcastle surged forward to find a winner meant he actually MISSED Jonas Gutierrez’s injury-time strike.

He said: “I did not even see the second goal – everyone was jumping up and down! I just saw it plop in the net.

Gutierrez deserved that goal, because I think he had a little dip in form, if I am honest, three or four weeks ago.”

Now, though, Pardew reckons the midfielder is back to his best.

He said: “He has been outstanding this season.

“He has been back to his best in the last two or three games. He is a big bonus for us.”

Pardew mentions what a lot of us had been saying about Gutierrez having been off the boil for a while. Good management that Pardew only went public with that opinion after Gutierrez had a good game.

Yeah I love Pards again, i'm just going to go with the theory that he planned this whole charade to rekindle the fire in our theoretical sex life with him, he drops Benny, we mad, he play him, he score and the sex is even better. He'll probably resort to roleplay next.

Genius.

Yeah I love Pards again, i'm just going to go with the theory that he planned this whole charade to rekindle the fire in our theoretical sex life with him, he drops Benny, we mad, he play him, he score and the sex is even better. He'll probably resort to roleplay next.

Genius.

:lol: :lol:

Just on the mask celebration, here's the wording from the FIFA laws of the game:

Celebration of a goal

While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive. Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

A player must be cautioned if:

• in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or infl ammatory

• he climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored

• he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt

• he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

Leaving the field of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence in itself but it is essential that players return to the fi eld of play as soon as possible.

Referees are expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal.

Agree that it is ridiculous.

What a goal anyway :jonas: Certainly didn't get the credit it deserved on the radio.

Genius.

Your right, this is genius  :lol:

Just on the mask celebration, here's the wording from the FIFA laws of the game:

Celebration of a goal

While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive. Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

A player must be cautioned if:

• in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or infl ammatory

• he climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored

• he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt

• he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

Leaving the field of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence in itself but it is essential that players return to the fi eld of play as soon as possible.

Referees are expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal.

Agree that it is ridiculous.

What a goal anyway :jonas: Certainly didn't get the credit it deserved on the radio.

Easy. Give someone else the mask and get them to put it on him.