Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

I used to hate the bloke in the early days and during the first half of the promotion season but he totally won me over.

The role he plays in the 4-3-3 we play is critical, he is an outlet who can carry the ball out of the dangerous areas, allow the wide player of the front three to tuck inside while he overlaps or bring the full back into play.

Sadly when we play this p*ss poor 4-4-2, all of his abilities are negated because he's neither a winger nor a central midfielder.

Aye, he is much more suited to a 433. Fergie, sammy or Oberton would be much better for us in a 442 (**if we want to win the game, rather than hedge our bets!**)

Not sure if he's just simply gone downhill, or if it's been curbed out of him, but since losing his long stride and turn of pace, he's become, on the face of it, nothing more than a defensive player. No one can fault his dedication and application in his new midfield role, but I'm sure even he himself knows that he's no good to us out on the left wing.

Jonas attacks better in a side playing with confidence and swagger. When his team is under the cosh, he tends to rush his decisions in the final third.

Not sure if he's just simply gone downhill, or if it's been curbed out of him, but since losing his long stride and turn of pace, he's become, on the face of it, nothing more than a defensive player. No one can fault his dedication and application in his new midfield role, but I'm sure even he himself knows that he's no good to us out on the left wing.

Jonas attacks better in a side playing with confidence and swagger. When his team is under the cosh, he tends to rush his decisions in the final third.

Another issue is that he's always played on the left, he's a right footer so when we moan about his crosses it's because he either has to turn back on his right or put in a crappy cross with his weak foot... We may see a different player if he was on the right, wouldn't do us any harm to see HBA on his stronger left side either???

Another thing Jonas does well is hold the ball up well under pressure, when we are under the cosh he is great at drawing a foul or getting the ball out of tricky places and to one of ours.

I'm not convinced we're seeing him change because he's lost a yard or whatever. He looks completely different to the kind of player he ever was. He showed in a fleeting glimpse on Sunday that the pace was still there in some capacity. I find it tremendously odd. He may well have peaked in the last couple of seasons or it may be down to coaching. Just can't put a finger on it; it's weird.

We rely on his defensive capabilities far too much for him to be used effectively going forward.  Ben Arfa roams around and makes things happen so we tend to accept him not tracking back, as it seems like he's not expected to defend all the time.  With Jonas his tracking back to help out the defence is a big asset, so we can't afford to lose out on it by allowing him to steam forward.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we looked at a new left sided player in the future and tried to fully transition Jonas into a centre midfielder.

Guest firetotheworks

The amount of possibilities with this set of players should really be about how versatile and unexpected we can be. Not how one dimensional and predictable we are.

We've had loads of players playing in different positions and nothing has looked good. I know a lot of us are really pro 4231/433, but despite not playing that, I now think that if we did we still wouldn't look all that good purely because of our players' form and our general lack of movement.

Aye, lack of movement or lack of running off the ball is what does my head in most. Whether it is that they are told to hold certain strategic positions on the pitch or they just don't train well enough to do it.... No idea!

From BBC Sport

Jonas Gutierrez: Newcastle United are a marked side

Newcastle United's Jonas Gutierrez says teams have changed their approach to stop key players such as Demba Ba, Yohan Cabaye and Papiss Demba Cisse.

The trio were pivotal to the Magpies' European qualification last season, with strikers Ba and Cisse scoring a combined 29 goals in the top flight.

"Teams know us more than they did last year. They know the way we play," Gutierrez told BBC Newcastle.

"For players that come in it's always difficult in the second season."

Gutierrez on Europe

"The fans like the competition, we as players feel the same, we always want to win and play every game in the Newcastle shirt.

"It's a really good competition for us, we've had to enjoy and do our best, because we never know if we get through the group stage then we never know who we play against.

"The most important thing is to get through the group stage, and then see what happens."

Last season's start was vital to a Premier League tally of 19 wins in 38 games, after Pardew's side went unbeaten in the first 14 matches in all competitions.

The fifth-placed finish last season brought European football to Tyneside, and Newcastle's progress so far has added five additional games to the schedule.

"Maybe we are not at the same level last year in the league but we have another competition now, and it's always difficult," Gutierrez added.

"Teams who aren't normally playing in Europe and don't have a big squad can find it difficult to play in an extra competition.

"It's our first year, it's something new, but the whole team is thinking about that and trying to enjoy it, everyone wants to play. But it's made the beginning of the season tougher.

"This season [in the Premier League] we have picked up good points against teams we've played this year, we know we lost against Manchester United and Chelsea.

"The win against West Bromwich Albion last weekend was really important to take the points at home."

The amount of possibilities with this set of players should really be about how versatile and unexpected we can be. Not how one dimensional and predictable we are.

We've had loads of players playing in different positions and nothing has looked good. I know a lot of us are really pro 4231/433, but despite not playing that, I now think that if we did we still wouldn't look all that good purely because of our players' form and our general lack of movement.

Excellent post

It's a strange one, his position is LW and quite often had bursts of energy to cause problems to any defence and had actually improving his crossing with his left foot then we decide to play him narrow in the middle becoming the new Alan Smith. He needs to get back on that wing pronto, perform or be replaced by either fergie or sammy