Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Guest neesy111

So used to him just being there, has he ever had a lengthy injury ? This will show just how important he is to the team.

Watch us start playing well....

Along with quite a few other in the squad, Gutierrez hasn't performed that well this season. On paper we have a lot of cover in Jonas' position in Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Obertan, Ferguson and maybe Amalfitano (having said that, Sammy currently has a hamstring injury and Amalfitano went off with an ankle 'knock' in the under 21s game). Hopefully whoever covers for Jonas steps up to the plate and takes their chance. They might not put in as much work as Jonas but they would probably create more going forward.

Along with quite a few other in the squad, Gutierrez hasn't performed that well this season. On paper we have a lot of cover in Jonas' position in Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Obertan, Ferguson and maybe Amalfitano (having said that, Sammy currently has a hamstring injury and Amalfitano went off with an ankle 'knock' in the under 21s game). Hopefully whoever covers for Jonas steps up to the plate and takes their chance. They might not put in as much work as Jonas but they would probably create more going forward.

Depends what you see his position as. I do like him in a central three, using his strength to carry the ball forward. He's one of very few who never look for the long ball and we need that at the moment.

Depends what you see his position as. I do like him in a central three, using his strength to carry the ball forward. He's one of very few who never look for the long ball and we need that at the moment.

If Jonas is counted as a central player then we don't have much cover for him. Tiote, Bigi and Anita play a similar role to each other. Cabaye is the only attacking, central midfielder. We don't have anyone to cover Cabaye's role if Cabaye is out. Gosling is injured and when he isn't he hasn't really impressed. That's one of the reasons I'd like us to buy an attacking central midfielder.

The injury is a shame for squad depth and for the great man himself. Can't say I'm gutted to see him out of the first XI though, I'm curious to see what happens next. Maybe we can make lemonade from this lemon.

Get well soon, Jonas :thup:

The injury is a shame for squad depth and for the great man himself. Can't say I'm gutted to see him out of the first XI though, I'm curious to see what happens next. Maybe we can make lemonade from this lemon.

Pretty much this. It's shit for Gutierrez but it gives someone else an extended run in the team. It's not like we're going to be playing with ten men because he's out, someone will come in and we'll have to get on with it. No point whinging about it.

It'll be :

Ferguson Tiote Cabaye Ben Arfa

Can't see anything else.

At least it'll give us some natural width, if nothing else. Ferguson's looked totally out of his depth in both PL games he's started this season, but if Pardew puts faith in him, i think we'll see him grow into it. He can reach the byline on his stronger foot, so that'll be a novelty. His crossing from deep is good as well.

If it's 4-4-2, he'd be my first choice for the left-wing in Jonas' absence.

It'll be :

Ferguson Tiote Cabaye Ben Arfa

Can't see anything else.

At least it'll give us some natural width, if nothing else. Ferguson's looked totally out of his depth in both PL games he's started this season, but if Pardew puts faith in him, i think we'll see him grow into it. He can reach the byline on his stronger foot, so that'll be a novelty. His crossing from deep is good as well.

If it's 4-4-2, he'd be my first choice for the left-wing in Jonas' absence.

Agree. 

There is also a chance we might have a go at 4-3-3, with Obertan  :rolleyes: Sammy or Marv further up the pitch in his place.

Nah, who am I kidding?  4-4-2 with Fergie coming in.

We'll lose Jonas' workrate and ball carrying ability, but we'll almost certainly create more going forward whoever comes in.  We've got so many left footers in reserve, it'd be good actually have some width down that flank as you say.

Pretty much my thoughts too.

The main problem with him this season is that he's been far, far too deep in that role though. He can't really use any of his good attributes if he's always starting off just outside his own penalty area. His best games in the middle I have seen are where he is allowed to get forward and carry the ball like you say.