Shay Given (now retired)

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The right age? He's probably ten years off his peak.

I doubt he ever would have been a great goalkeeper if his peak was at the age of 32.

I haven't said he's at his peak right now, just that he's at the right age to become a number one.

Look at great goalkeepers like Van der Saar, Kahn, Schmeichel.. they all started their career as a number 1 in their early-mid twenties. (I'm saying that without actually checking those stats, so I'm probably wrong here.)

These are the ages some of the better keepers in the past started getting given regular games by their clubs:

Given 21

Hart 19

van der sar 21

Reina 20

Cech 20

The bottom line of all this is simple, keepers may take a while to peak like any player, but they still need to get games young if they want to make a name for themselves.

The priority is survival, not blooding a youngster into the least forgiving position on the pitch. He's a promising keeper. But if he's truly PL class, what on earth is he doing behind an average to poor (and deteriorating) keeper like Harper?

The priority is survival, not blooding a youngster into the least forgiving position on the pitch. He's a promising keeper. But if he's truly PL class, what on earth is he doing behind an average to poor (and deteriorating) keeper like Harper?

Management not taking a risk?

I think you'll find with the majority of keepers that make it, they've been given a chance to show what they can do with an injury, and taken it.

This is Krul's chance. Lets see if he takes it.

Sentimental reasons.

Because he has no experience. Like you say its the least forgiven position, therefore only in these kinds of circumstances will he get a chance, its only in these positions any keeper his age does.

It was only a question of time when he would replace Harper anyway imo.

The injury only made it happen faster.

Now he has the chance to show his PL class, Harper won't get back into our best XI imo.

So we should rely on him because we have to? What we need here is an option. Just a shame Harper didn't fuck himself a month back as opposed to now. The club's best keeper is across the border.

The one that has never played a game for the club?

And you are complaining about experience, you couldn't make it up.  :lol:

So we should rely on him because we have to? What we need here is an option. Just a shame Harper didn't fuck himself a month back as opposed to now. The club's best keeper is across the border.

We need to grab a pint while you're in Orlando man, I have to see if this how you actually talk in person.

Krul has shown some talent, but he's been a little bit on edge as well, on his few first-team appearances. If he knows he's going to get a decent run, he may relax a bit and his judgement might improve. That's the only thing that's been holding him back.

I think he's ready.

Good.

Bringing him back could have quite easily disrupted the team spirit.  We need players who want to be here & care about the club.

I don't think it was ever a possibility that he would come back after the way he left the club.

Forster has had a full season with the best side in League One. He's also demonstrated a level of composure and confidence that Krul hasn't, imo.

Our reserve team are better than the best team in League One.