Shane Ferguson joins Millwall on a permanent deal

Pilko

The 19-year-old full-back made his second Premier League appearance for the club as a substitute in Saturday's 2-1 home defeat by Everton and impressed manager Alan Pardew with his performance.

Nor is he a natural full-back.

The 19-year-old full-back made his second Premier League appearance for the club as a substitute in Saturday's 2-1 home defeat by Everton and impressed manager Alan Pardew with his performance.

FIFA says he is ;)

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Yes he is.

Guest michaelfoster

Whats wrong with Tamas Kadar, he joined us as a LB, cant he fill in for Enrique if hes injured

Whats wrong with Tamas Kadar, he joined us as a LB, cant he fill in for Enrique if hes injured

Mr. injury unfortunately. :(

From the little I've seen of both Kadar and Ferguson, I'd rather play Ferguson anyway.

Mr. injury unfortunately. :(

From the little I've seen of both Kadar and Ferguson, I'd rather play Ferguson anyway.

I quite like Kadar tbh. Seems like he's more of a natural CB to me though.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yes he is.

Ferguson himself, in the Match Day program, said he was more of a winger, and has recently started to learn his trade at Full Back. Said he was happy to play either position.

If Enrique is injured, I really hope Pardew has guts to play with Ferguson. He's looked lively each time I've seen him. If he rises to the occasion this could  save us some money too if Enrique wants to leave in the summer.

I find Pardew's comments a bit strange tbh. Shane is obviously too weak to be a defender.. I know he has played there a lot for the juniors and the reserves but surely his physical frame is more suited to a more advanced role. Saying that, I've been impressed with his bravery, decision making and calmness on the ball. For me, he's the most promising youngster at the club right now.

I find Pardew's comments a bit strange tbh. Shane is obviously too weak to be a defender.. I know he has played there a lot for the juniors and the reserves but surely his physical frame is more suited to a more advanced role. Saying that, I've been impressed with his bravery, decision making and calmness on the ball. For me, he's the most promising youngster at the club right now.

Don't exactly know why myself but Hughton was converting him that way himself. So I guess there's some reasoning behind it.

As you say, he's got qualities suited to the role at least, while he can perhaps still bring most of his attacking aspects into play as a supporting Wing Back. Personally, I think it's one of the most important positions in a team, particularly our team for years at least, so there's a fair bit to be said for making sure you've got a good and well-rounded one.

In contrast, you're arguably afforded more space and time at the back to use your brain to position yourself and be effective in defence than you are as a winger/forward who's potentially going be marked/closed down and hustled out of the game at his own business end if he's too weak to fight.

If Enrique is injured, I really hope Pardew has guts to play with Ferguson. He's looked lively each time I've seen him. If he rises to the occasion this could  save us some money too if Enrique wants to leave in the summer.

Let's hope he doesn't do too well though.

Didn't he play LB against Chelsea in the Carling Cup? He played really well in that game, can't remember what position though.

Yep, behind Gutierrez.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's hope he doesn't do too well though.

:lol:

What a goal that could have been.

Unlucky there, would have been immense.

We are doing the right thing blooding him right now but I wouldnt be upset if he gets a starting birth for the Wolves game. LW if Enrique is fit, switch Jonas to the right and put Barton in the Centre for Tiote.