Shane Ferguson joins Millwall on a permanent deal

Pilko

Nigel Worthington confirmed he's been trying to get him to play for NI, but Ferguson has been ignoring his calls.

If he does indeed decide to a be a turncoat prick and change his nation to the Republic, I'll never be able to enjoy watching him play for NUFC.

I'm as confused as owt, how can he play for Eire if he is British?

Anybody born in Northern Ireland can play for either team for some batshit reason.

good friday agreement, anyone born in the north is entitled to Republic passport so therefore can play for republic. IIRC the north tried to bring it to fifa but their idea got thrown out

Nigel Worthington confirmed he's been trying to get him to play for NI, but Ferguson has been ignoring his calls.

If he does indeed decide to a be a turncoat prick and change his nation to the Republic, I'll never be able to enjoy watching him play for NUFC.

I'm as confused as owt, how can he play for Eire if he is British?

Anybody born in Northern Ireland can play for either team for some batshit reason.

Doesn't make sens that like They're 2 totally seperate countries. It's like saying anyone born in Belguim can also play for France if they so wish.

If someone is British then surely they can play for any of the nations in the UK? People in Northern Ireland have dual citizenship, Irish and British. I for example am Irish and go to Dublin to sort out my passport and that.

:lol:

The Good Friday Agreement is 'batshit'... just wow..

What do you expect though, Northern Ireland isnt in Britain, but it is some part of Ireland. The majority wouldnt accept an Northern Irish identity as people generally see themselves as Irish or British here.

The Good Friday Agreement is 'batshit'... just wow..

Fuck off man, I thought it was because of a FIFA rule. Had no idea it was anything to do with the Good Friday agreement.

The fact that it has created a loophole to allow this kind of crap is batshit thought.

A merger? So they could take two averagely shit teams to form one massive shit team?

Remind me of the score the last time Northern Ireland played England.

And it's got nothing to do with how good we are, we have a population of 1.5m ffs we know we're not world beaters, we just love our country.

That's why 15,000 people at Windsor Park make more noise than 90,000 of you lot at Wembley.

Is that why you send bullets through the post to your former captain too?

Guest toonlass

A merger? So they could take two averagely shit teams to form one massive shit team?

And it's got nothing to do with how good we are, we have a population of 1.5m ffs we know we're not world beaters, we just love our country.

That's why 15,000 people at Windsor Park make more noise than 90,000 of you lot at Wembley.

Nah, that's just cos he's a cunt!

Has Eire tried to pick any Protestant lads yet? Thought not & they are using the Good Friday agreement which was about building bridges as method of recruiting players what fucking cunts.

Who said they havent tried to recruit Protestants? People from Protestant backgrounds generally dont want to play for the Republic, I also think you need an Irish passport to play for them too. So its hardly a surprise that few Protestants get recruited. From the Republics point of view there is a pool of players in the north, so why shouldnt they get players from here? The players also make the choice to play for the Republic as well.

Who said they havent tried to recruit Protestants? People from Protestant backgrounds generally dont want to play for the Republic, I also think you need an Irish passport to play for them too. So its hardly a surprise that few Protestants get recruited. From the Republics point of view there is a pool of players in the north, so why shouldnt they get players from here? The players also make the choice to play for the Republic as well.

Worthington is not shy coming forward talking about  Eire poaching & he has not named 1 Protestant yet.  Lads getting Norn Iron U caps & the doing one is hardly ideal as a great community builder which I am sure was the general gist of the GFA. Fariplay to the players who have zero caps at any level & doing one though.

Nah, that's just cos he's a cunt!

Is Chris Baird a cunt too?

A merger? So they could take two averagely s*** teams to form one massive s*** team?

Nah, that's just cos he's a c***!

Is Chris Baird a c*** too?

No. But his mother is.

Is this rule unique to Ireland, or has it been used elsewhere in countrys that have been divided or had some sort of political shift. I'm thinking when the USSR broke up, or maybe Yugoslavia.

I can't see the problem with it myself. Every single one of the lads that headed south is clearly from a nationalist background and as such will have always had one foot in the republic anyway. In spirit if nothing else. Good luck to them i say, although maybe compensation is deserved for the IFA.

Is this rule unique to Ireland, or has it been used elsewhere in countrys that have been divided or had some sort of political shift. I'm thinking when the USSR broke up, or maybe Yugoslavia.

Kanchelskis was born in the Ukraine & had not played for any Russian team to gain residency but he stuck with them  via the "CIS" team rather than play for the Ukraine.

Guest dogbeak

f*** off man, I thought it was because of a FIFA rule. Had no idea it was anything to do with the Good Friday agreement.

The fact that it has created a loophole to allow this kind of crap is batshit thought.

i was always of the understanding that the problem of english players having their choice of any uk nation was dealt with by way of a gentleman's agreement between the english, scottish, welsh and northern irish fas.

i'm sympathetic to the idea that ireland can be considered a special case. is it possible that players from the republic end up playing for the north? i can only recall about players from the north heading south.

Is Chris Baird a cunt too?

All these examples you're giving are pointless as they weren't carried out by Northern Ireland fans, but by paramilitaries/bigots.  We even sang There's only one Neil Lennon at Windsor in the first match after he retired.

Same can't be said about England fans however, who burn effigies of one of their best players and try and force him into retirement just because he got a red card.