On this day...

Tooj

5 hours ago, Paully said:

Everyone mentions 95-96 but we had a real chance this season too!

Bellamy’s injury knacked us

Arsenal won every single game from this point mind (including the Bergkamp game), would have meant winning 17 games in a row or something ridiculous to have been champions. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Some Forest fans are still riled about it. When we played them in August it was mentioned on their forum in the match thread within 4 posts or something. :lol: Wonder how many it'll be before it's mentioned next week. Not like its been 49 years and the fact that they've probably evened the score with Ian fucking Woan.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

33 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

I’ve heard about that game since I pretty much started supporting Newcastle and I never ever realised the original result was overturned. What would the reasoning for that even be?

Forest complained that the pitch invasion changed the landscape of the match and the FA upheld the complaint and voided it. It's still the most thrilling Newcastle match I've ever been to, it was fucking bonkers

19 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The atmosphere sounds shite considering :lol:

I've often thought that when replaying these old vids,it must have been to do with the sound tv broadcast. i remember it was deafening, then again I was only a bairn

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

The atmosphere sounds shite considering :lol:

I can assure you it wasn't.

The roar from the Leazes was deafening at times.

Still the biggest home crowd I've witnessed and even as a seven year old, the atmosphere at big games was my favourite thing about going to the match.

Go to 46 40 in the Big Match footage of the game to see the Leazes in full voice.

2 hours ago, bigfella said:

Still the biggest home crowd I've witnessed and even as a seven year old, the atmosphere at big games was my favourite thing about going to the match.

Go to 46 40 in the Big Match footage of the game to see the Leazes in full voice.

It sounds like we’re singing you’ll never walk alone..???

On 09/03/2023 at 20:48, bigfella said:

Loved watching that! 

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

15 years since we trounced Spurs 4-1 away. Owen, Viduka and Martins were class, should have been about 8. Best away Premier League performance?

What Keegan was achieving was unbelievable at the time.

Obviously the relegation season was doomed from the start it seemed, but there's an alternative reality where Keegan stayed and built on what he had done at the back end of that season, got us back into Europe and then moved upstairs, he had found the system that worked and with his signings that summer I've no doubt he'd have got us going. 

7 minutes ago, NUFCDoog said:

Obviously the relegation season was doomed from the start it seemed, but there's an alternative reality where Keegan stayed and built on what he had done at the back end of that season, got us back into Europe and then moved upstairs, he had found the system that worked and with his signings that summer I've no doubt he'd have got us going. 

Agreed, I remember going into that season feeling pretty good. And then it all fell apart in the most spectacular fashion. What a small time bastard Ashley was.

Edited by 80