On this day...

Tooj

1 hour ago, Dancing Brave said:

30 years ago, Sir John Hall was on the phone to Kevin Keegan.

1992-kk-arrives-m.jpg

The two most important people arguably in the history of our club! Legends, the pair of them!

Remember it like it was yesterday. Heard about it at lunch and went into school with a spring in my step.. Despite having not been around for Keegan the player or being in Newcastle something in the air changed, the atmosphere around the club. Maybe it was the first time the club had really tried in my time.  It was one of those February days where the sun shone and it was quite mild and it felt wrongly like summer was closer than it really was, certainly that the worst of winter was behind us. Upstairs in English big open windows over looking the school, fields and into the distance and various other true melodramatic metaphors.

Replicated and nowhere near matched many times since.

On 12/02/2022 at 22:46, Colos Short and Curlies said:

When you think about it our record with Man U has been completely nuts.

we’ve been destroyed on multiple occasions, whacked 5 past them, numerous  5 goal plus games, times we’ve played them off the park.

very little consistency to it

They were pretty consistently lucky against us. Battered them at home in 94/95 and 95/96 and got one measley point. Denied a stone-wall penalty in the last minute at 0-0 at Old Trafford in 03/04,  Solskjear stopping Lee from scoring the winner there in 97/98 and then Speed missing an open goal, Schmiechel pulling off "save of the decade" from Barnes in the home game, Cole injured on the eve of the game at OT in 94/95.

And they're c**ts

Edited by Wolfcastle

17 years ago, 2-1 away at Heereveen. A young Huntelaar scoring for them.

I was there and despite being on the Souness decline it's a big happy memory. Absolutely freezing night. My second European Newcastle away night, right in the front row behind the goal where we scored both goals - about as close up as I'd seen Shearer, Kluivert et al., running right in front when we scored. End of the game Huntelaar threw his man of the match flowers (?) into our end for some reason, and I caught them (why?) in a scramble (though my dad reckons he did and released them).

We arrived back at Newcastle airport just after the team plane. Was gutted I missed all the players - apart from Graeme Souness who hadn't walked through yet. He was very nice actually and started talking to me and my dad (he initiated). Walked out to arrivals with him and then drifted off when I saw Sky cameras waiting to film him arriving (not sure why). Years later when he was randomly rumoured to be part of a Wolves takeover, of all the footage they had of him, Sky would use that on repeat, me shifting away in the background.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. We're experiencing a turn around now but the up-turn after appointing Roeder is still the most stark. Moreso than even Keegan and Sir Bobby.

From P23 W7 L11 GF20 5th bottom out the cup in a shambles at Wigan to P15 W10 L3 GF27 (one at Man U, another v Liverpool) and a narrow QF defeat at Chelsea and up to 7th

2 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Yep. We're experiencing a turn around now but the up-turn after appointing Roeder is still the most stark. Moreso than even Keegan and Sir Bobby.

From P23 W7 L11 GF20 5th bottom out the cup in a shambles at Wigan to P15 W10 L3 GF27 (one at Man U, another v Liverpool) and a narrow QF defeat at Chelsea and up to 7th

That game where we qualified for Europe on the last day by beating Chelsea to cap off that run feels like one of the last really meaningful games I remember before the soul went. I was prob going to games more than ever around that time, and there were the seasons even under Bobby where we hardly won away, so felt like I had a great run of away wins in that stretch. Boro away, Villa away, Albert Luque wraps it up.