On this day...

Tooj

Wednesday 21st January 1976

Newcastle reach the League Cup final for the first time with a great 3 - 1 win over Tottenham (3 - 2 on aggregate) at SJP before a packed crowd of 49,802. Alan Gowling, Glen Keeley and Geoff Nulty score the goals, but a late goal from Spurs make the crowd suffer before the final whistle. Manchester City beat Middlesbrough that same night, so it will not be and all north-east final.

Typed up on the toilet while reading my on this day book.

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

We've not looked back since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH1BrZHDga8

Massive day (Chris Wood's debut? ... :cheesy:)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60005895

-- 17 Norwich P 22 Pts 16

^  18 Newcastle P 21 Pts 15

v  19 Watford P 20 Pts 14

-- 20 Burnley P 17 Pts 11

Norwich ended up getting 6 more points and we got 34 more :lol:

Edited by Inferior Acuña

1 minute ago, Doctor Zaius said:

As someone too young to remember this. It still baffles me how much we cocked this up. So sad.

Funny mind as 80 points to win the title really isn’t that impressive these days is it? I think the following year Man U won it on 75?

I'm old enough to remember that season but not old enough to have appreciated that we blew it. I mostly took it game by game and just sort of thought '2nds good too! We'll win it next year!'. Fucking idiot.

Looks really bad there :lol: I always thought it was 12 points but played a game more, but no, it was actually a proper 12 point lead.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

8 hours ago, TheGuv said:

As someone too young to remember this. It still baffles me how much we cocked this up. So sad.

Funny mind as 80 points to win the title really isn’t that impressive these days is it? I think the following year Man U won it on 75?

Man Us run in was amazing. But and this might be an unpopular view our mistake was not signing Tino who added to the side but David Batty who was a good player but he replaced Lee Clark and neutered our attacking thrust through midfield. Just my opinion mind . 

16 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Massive day (Chris Wood's debut? ... :cheesy:)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60005895

-- 17 Norwich P 22 Pts 16

^  18 Newcastle P 21 Pts 15

v  19 Watford P 20 Pts 14

-- 20 Burnley P 17 Pts 11

Norwich ended up getting 6 more points and we got 34 more :lol:

Nah Wood's debut was the previous game at home to Watford. But since that Leeds game a year ago today we've been in top 4 form since then up to now.

1 hour ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I'm old enough to remember that season but not old enough to have appreciated that we blew it. I mostly took it game by game and just sort of thought '2nds good too! We'll win it next year!'. Fucking idiot.

Looks really bad there :lol: I always thought it was 12 points but played a game more, but no, it was actually a proper 12 point lead.

graham fucking fenton!!!!!!

1 hour ago, OCOCOL said:

Man Us run in was amazing. But and this might be an unpopular view our mistake was not signing Tino who added to the side but David Batty who was a good player but he replaced Lee Clark and neutered our attacking thrust through midfield. Just my opinion mind . 

Yes we had a big lead but nearly half a season to go. Like I said with Arsenal winning today there’s a long way to go still.

As for 95-96 it’s a funny one as we signed Tino and in many ways he gave us another dimension and solved a predictability issue of using two wingers yet possibly created as many problems he solved as that shunted Beardsley out of position. I agree regarding the Clark comment as I was a big fan of his (basically a faster thinking Longstaff for want of a better description. Who never stood still and clean precise passing his main assets) yet Batty come in and was arguably MOTM for a lot of the remaining games and actually surprised me how good he was. I still go back to Gillespie getting taken out at Man Utd away (iirc) the biggest reason. That and we only had one way of playing and had a massive naivety due to the inexperience of the majority of the team. You could tell Beardsley & Batty we’re  the only ones in the team who had been there and done it before.

1 hour ago, OCOCOL said:

Hearing you there bruvver, wasn’t just your opinion at the time. Used to be ‘mass debating’ of this issue (…will the pain ever totally go?) from those who, well, masterbated about Batty—who, to be fair, rarely seemed to put a foot wrong— and those (myself included) who thought he was like a quagmire in midfield, the ball seemed to stick there, which slowed our attack down massively. 

Does it not just all boil down to losing to Man Utd (h) in March? If we win that game, even with the shit results at Arsenal, Blackburn, Liverpool, Man City, West Ham and Forest, we win the title. Even a draw may have not swung the momentum in their favour.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Does it not just all boil down to losing to Man Utd (h) in March? If we win that game, even with the shit results at Arsenal, Blackburn, Liverpool, Man City, West Ham and Forest, we win the title. Even a draw may have not swung the momentum in their favour.

Yes. A win would’ve IMO spurred us on and delivered a gut punch to Man Utd. Unfortunately roles were reversed.

Batty was our best player after he signed - he was man of the match on his debut vs Man Utd and the standard didn’t drop from there.  From memory he finished in the top three in The Mag’s end of season poll for best player - not bad for a bloke who only played ten games.  He was a far better footballer than Clark, and hadn’t become the crab-like player we all feared we’d signed at that point.

There’s an argument that we reverted to the mean in the second half of that season - we were 6th in the form table for the last 19 games, which is the same as our final place the year before.  It wasn’t just that Man Utd went on a winning run; NUFC’s form wasn’t even close to title-winning.  It is the case that if the 0-1 loss to Man Utd at home is reversed, then we swap places.  But it doesn’t necessarily follow that the remaining games pan out as they did.  Far too many of our attacking players (Ginola, Ferdinand, Beardsley, Lee) were mediocre post-January.  

11 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

OTD in 1996, we'd played 23 and were 12 points clear...

The table shows all you need to know - Newcastle took 24 points from their remaining 15 games.  If that form was replicated across the entire season, it would have been good enough to finish NINTH that season (60 points)

Totally agree on Batty, its irrefutable really, 8-10 out of 10 every match.

Gap was already 6points when he debuted. 3 by the end of his debut that we dominated. He's the last person to blame.

Batty and Beardsley apart I'd argue Tino was out best player after we signed him.

Won the game for us from the bench at Boro, goal and great assist at Man City, two beautiful assists and a goal against West Ham in a MOTM performance, great assist an goal at Liverpool, great assist against Spurs.

Ferdinand, Ginola, Gillespie and Lee I don't think contributed as much.

Edited by Wolfcastle