Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It is important for me to go to the Brazil world cup i am not doing a Ruiski or I am not cooking my self up in Qatar...

Same here. I was hoping for the U.S. to get it so I can travel down there. Looks like Brazil is my best bet for the next few.

Just to follow on from Doug's very good post. Sending the Prime Minister, the Prince and Beckham did reek of desperation and was quite over the top really.

Utter rubbish.

Nope.

So... we shouldn't have sent such key figures? :facepalm:

The delegation reeked of the establishment, but I doubt whether that made any difference to the outcome. It's clear that FIFA are now looking to grant the World Cup to developing nations rather than established ones. The idea of using the World Cup to create something that wasn't there before has really caught on.

The big problem with Qatar is climate, with temperatures over 40c in the summer.

Just to follow on from Doug's very good post. Sending the Prime Minister, the Prince and Beckham did reek of desperation and was quite over the top really.

Utter rubbish.

Nope.

So... we shouldn't have sent such key figures? :facepalm:

The Prince and the Prime Minister took away from the football feel. Just felt a bit "glitz and glam" with little substance. Do they really care much for football? Really? That Man City worker was the most captivating bit. Beckham made a lot of sense too I guess because he's had a great career all over the world really, and has a lot of pull.

It won us the Olympics!

Oh well. Who knows. Just seemd a bit much. It's clear FIFA's emphasis was moving towards giving it to places where they felt that the money would aid some sort of development and improvement of infrastructure etc. England should have found more of an angle such as this to play up. People always go on about how much grass roots football is struggling over here afterall. I don't know ... should have played that up more perhaps? It's unfortunate.

ummm did you actually watch the presentation or not? half of england's bid was about this "football united" fund which would match fifa's investment in grassroots football around the world. it was the most focused on grassroots worldwide development out of all the bids. furthermore, the bid was actually headed by some manc guy no one had heard of who works in youth development in manchester.

you think Qatar's glizty bid is about grassroots football? or russia with all their brand new stadiums. bollocks are they - both were more about headline grabbing and glamorous aspects than any low level football development.

Our own media stirring shit didn't help.

isn't it the people who accept bribes for votes that 'don't help' ?

Obviously. But all the accusations etc that got leaked by our own press did not help.

If they've been bribed, it wouldn't matter what the press said.

bingo

That's not street gangs like Brazil or South Africa though is it? Qatar has one of the lowest crime rates in the world, 2 or 3% of that of the UK. Qatar will have a colossal budget for this, I'm sure they'll sort security out. UK's terrorist level is on 'severe' itself at the moment.

Don't know why I'm defending Qatar here as I wanted Australia to get it :lol: But some people just seem totally ill informed about the Middle East.

I thought I'd post that as the advice is just about the same for every country in the world and was admittedly trolling.

However - that's some fine use of statistics there

Nicked this from the fountain of mis-information known as the internet "The population of Qatar on December 2nd 2010 is approximately 865,415. (Extrapolated from a population of 1,409,000 on September 13th 2009 and a population of 907,229 on October 9th 2010.)"  and "The population of the UK is approximately 61,113,205.".

So thats a 2% crime rate in a country with a population more than 6000% smaller.

To be honest I would say the big (ironic choice of words) problem with Qatar, is that about 3 people live there and you can see one end of it from the other.

think one of the host cities is currently about half the size of newbiggin by the sea. one of the host cities doesn't actually exist yet. they're literally building new cities with brash high-rises and hotel resorts for this world cup. worked out well in Dubai didnt it?  :doh: so much for being about grassroots development.  :lol:

To be honest I would say the big (ironic choice of words) problem with Qatar, is that about 3 people live there and you can see one end of it from the other.

think one of the host cities is currently about half the size of newbiggin by the sea. one of the host cities doesn't actually exist yet. they're literally building new cities with brash high-rises and hotel resorts for this world cup. worked out well in Dubai didnt it?  :doh: so much for being about grassroots development.  :lol:

Legendary place. Best Ice cream I ever had was from there.