Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The domestic schedule rejigging doesn't bother me half as much as the human rights issues in Russia/Qatar, and the domestic schedule rejigging is really, really, REALLY daft.

You say that as if the World Cup hasn't previously been awarded to fascist Italy in 1934, the Argentinian military junta in 78 and Colombia in 86 a country riddled with internal corruption and a full scale guerilla drug war. Both South Africa and Brazil arguably have societal problems that give Russia a run for their money and both are vastly more dangerous countries for visitors than either Qatar or Russia.

FIFA don't really give a shite, basically. Especially not when there is dollar to be pocketed.

Most of those were before my time unsurprisingly :lol: South Africa/Brazil were controversial in so far as that there were policital/economic consequences of hosting them there and issues about profit distribution etc, but nothing which amounted to a serious human rights breach (as far as I know, happy to be corrected on this).

Conversely, the upcoming two are absolutely appalling. You couldn't script two regimes more diabolical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup#Venues

This really shows how f***ing ridiculous it is btw. All but one of the stadiums in the greater Doha area :lol:

The other one at the top:

Ash-Shamal (Arabic: الشمال‎) is a municipality in the state of Qatar. Its capital is called Madinat ash-Shamal and it is considered to be one of the major cities in Qatar.[2] The name means "City of the north" - although the population is barely over 5,000. Ash Shamal will be home to the proposed 45,330-seat Al-Shamal Stadium, one of 12 venues used in the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

Not to mention the final being in a town that doesn't actually exist.

This really shows how f***ing ridiculous it is btw. All but one of the stadiums in the greater Doha area :lol:

Ash-Shamal (Arabic: الشمال‎) is a municipality in the state of Qatar. Its capital is called Madinat ash-Shamal and it is considered to be one of the major cities in Qatar.[2] The name means "City of the north" - although the population is barely over 5,000. Ash Shamal will be home to the proposed 45,330-seat Al-Shamal Stadium, one of 12 venues used in the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

Not to mention the final being in a town that doesn't actually exist.

Unreal hustle tbf to them

"We will look at the knock-on effects of the decision and how it will affect Scottish football," he said. "Clearly there will be fixture challenges for leagues across the world.

Just too much :lol: right there. Sit down Scotland, there's nothing for you to see here.

Very, very unfortunate that they didn't know about it being a bit warm in Qatar during the summer before they gave them the World Cup...

I'm sure I could have a temporary lapse of "amnesia" for a few million quid too

It's so obvious that they've been bribed it's unreal. There's nothing they can use to defend themselves with either, since there are 0 reasons to give the WC to fucking Qatar ffs

Very, very unfortunate that they didn't know about it being a bit warm in Qatar during the summer before they gave them the World Cup...

It's so obvious that they've been bribed it's unreal. There's nothing they can use to defend themselves with either, since there are 0 reasons to give the WC to f***ing Qatar ffs

So unbelievably corrupt, it's obvious the only way you get to host the World Cup in this day and age is by forking out the GDP of a small country. They should do away with "voting" and just give it to the highest bidder.

It's so obvious that they've been bribed it's unreal. There's nothing they can use to defend themselves with either, since there are 0 reasons to give the WC to f***ing Qatar ffs

So unbelievably corrupt, it's obvious the only way you get to host the World Cup in this day and age is by forking out the GDP of a small country. They should do away with "voting" and just give it to the highest bidder.

Sad that there's nothing one can do. Would love it if no one went to Qatar and everyone just stayed home watching the WC on the telly instead.

Edit: Or even better, if the players refused to play since they've been so fucking greedy stupid and placed the WC in an oven.

Qatar claimed they were working on technology to cool the stadiums. And although they hadn't quite cracked air conditioning an open air stadium they were confident they could do it by 2022.

Just have buckets of cold air ready to tip off the top of the stands when peoples pits get a bit claggy.

Cold air descends, warm air rises. It's physics.

Qatar claimed they were working on technology to cool the stadiums. And although they hadn't quite cracked air conditioning an open air stadium they were confident they could do it by 2022.

Just have buckets of cold air ready to tip off the top of the stands when peoples pits get a bit claggy.

Cold air descends, warm air rises. It's physics.

"Hey you! Up there! My pits are a bit claggy, release the cold air!" :lol:

This is effectively what will be effected by the change:

B-sKsxVWkAAA7TW.jpg

Another change is that the 2023 African Cup of Nations will apparently be in June now, because the World Cup is now one month apart from when it was originally scheduled. :lol: I have no problem whatsoever with either of the two locations for the next two World Cups, but the haphazard and obviously corrupt nature of this whole process is fairly ridiculous.

Hello Europeans you don't rule the world like old times. A new world order is in place. The PL Starts in July and it ends the following June. Selfish pricks complain for 7 years time most here will die at that time anyways.

underrated post

This really shows how fucking ridiculous it is btw. All but one of the stadiums in the greater Doha area :lol:

I posted on here a little while back at how only one city is larger than Newcastle by population, most of the other 'cities' are smaller than towns like Whitley Bay, in fact some of them are about the same size of a large housing estate.

Hello Europeans you don't rule the world like old times. A new world order is in place. The PL Starts in July and it ends the following June. Selfish pricks complain for 7 years time most here will die at that time anyways.

:dowiespin:

underrated post

Top class.

Isn't that the competition that has been used to actually prove the world cup host is capable of actually hosting a football tournament?

why yes typically the dress rehearsal, see how the systems they have in place can deal with reasonably big but not world cup big crowds how the stadiums are etc. Holding it elsewhere basically makes it pointless because who the fuck cares who wins the confederations cup

Isn't that the competition that has been used to actually prove the world cup host is capable of actually hosting a football tournament?

why yes typically the dress rehearsal, see how the systems they have in place can deal with reasonably big but not world cup big crowds how the stadiums are etc. Holding it elsewhere basically makes it pointless because who the fuck cares who wins the confederations cup

interesting - so one year before the last world cup where were they playing this when the WC stadiums had no grass and stands collapsing and shit? :lol: