Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why should they have shown it next week?  This Marge Simpson style "Ooh, don't rock the boat, don't cause a fuss, smile at the nice man" thing is absolutely emasculating, I'd rather we didn't get the thing at all than we got it by being toady pathetic little try hards.  if they want to shoot the messenger, that's their problem.  FIFA were given all this data nearly a month ago and they refused to act on it, that doesn't mean the BBC and Sunday Express should play along and bury the findings in a time when football isn't so in the forefront of the news, to do so would be cowardly, spinless and pathetic.

Why should they have shown it next week?  This Marge Simpson style "Ooh, don't rock the boat, don't cause a fuss, smile at the nice man" thing is absolutely emasculating, I'd rather we didn't get the thing at all than we got it by being toady pathetic little try hards.  if they want to shoot the messenger, that's their problem.  FIFA were given all this data nearly a month ago and they refused to act on it, that doesn't mean the BBC and Sunday Express should play along and bury the findings in a time when football isn't so in the forefront of the news, to do so would be cowardly, spinless and pathetic.

my views exactly.

Hear hear. I'd like to think we as a nation are above indulging the type of low level corruption FIFA seem to love. They are a bunch of shysters and racketeers. The World Cup is no longer about the football (which is by and large piss poor nowadays) but it's an opportunity for both them and their corporate sponsors to rake it in. Fuck 'em. We could do a better job of anyone on this planet of hosting the World Cup and if we don't get it because someone from Russia has given them a backhander more fool them. Why should we pander to them? Or turn a blind eye?

We won't get the World Cup, because we've been poking into places we shouldn't have, whilst Russia and Spain have sat back and said nothing. We've noone to blame but ourselves.

It's not our responsibility to pick out corruption in FIFA, it's FIFA's job. And we've made them look like fools by doing it, they'll never admit they're corrupt now.

I'm with VI, not now, and not after. Should've been done earlier if they had the chance. Really get some movement going on opening this can of worms and getting some change. I don't care about losing the World Cup if it means changing world football for the better, no matter how small. At what point do we keep sitting back?

We won't get the World Cup, because we've been poking into places we shouldn't have, whilst Russia and Spain have sat back and said nothing. We've noone to blame but ourselves.

It's not our responsibility to pick out corruption in FIFA, it's FIFA's job. And we've made them look like fools by doing it, they'll never admit they're corrupt now.

I'm with Jonny, let's not pretend for one bit that this is about ending corruption in FIFA, (if that is even possible). If that was BBC's sole intention, there are many things they could have done like showing it earlier or bringing a court case or reporting to he FA after getting solid evidence. Screening it a few days before the vote, despite having only shoddy evidence (at best) reeks of just sensationalism and trying to increase viewers at the expense of the nation. Oh and we should care if England's bid is undermined, the govt spent loads of money (that's yours and mine) for the bid and can only hope to recoup if we win the bid.

I'm not happy because this world cup could bring job to the North East. Most of us all know that we need more jobs in the region and this world cup could have helped us. If SJP and SOL both hosted event then every single hotel and B&B in Tyne and Wear could have been sold out, plus all the money they would spend in our shops, the passenger figures for our airport, attracting new destinations and new business's etc. Even NUFC would have gained from it, with ticket sales, and also a few fans buying club merchandise while they come over and we could have gained more foreign fans.

I couldn't give a shit about the World Cup if we did get it and we didn't have atleast one host stadium on our doorstep (SJP preferably), but when all of us here have a chance of getting our region off the gorund even if it is for a month or so, then I care and the BBC along with the Daily Mail could well and truely have fucked that up for us.

Guest Tall Striker

Pretty sure England will get it, especially now we've sent the bellend sqaud to Zurich.

Wish I had your optimism. Don't think there's a chance we'll get it.

England deserve it. Home to the 1 of the worlds best leagues, some top stadiums and full of teams supported by millions worldwide. It's a farce that it hasnt hosted in 44 years, 52 by the time the next World Cup. England will get it imo.

England deserve it. Home to the 1 of the worlds best leagues, some top stadiums and full of teams supported by millions worldwide. It's a farce that it hasnt hosted in 44 years, 52 by the time the next World Cup. England will get it imo.

do you think it gets awarded on that basis ? russia will get it as they will do far more to fill the pockets of fifa officials.

I agree we should get it but we have made enemies with the powers that be with our media rightfully showing the corruption and tbh i hope something good comes of it if they get investigated and clean the scum off but the timing is rotten and has scuppered us

I don't think we were in line to get it even before Panorama.

And if a precondition for hosting the World Cup is that all criticism of FIFA must be suppressed, fuck 'em. Countries such as Russia and Qatar (respectively numbers 140 and 121 on the Press Freedom Index 2010) are precisely where it belongs.

http://en.rsf.org/press-freedom-index-2010,1034.html