Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

Also Qatar will be the worst World Cup ever, quite simply can't see how any culture and atmosphere is going to be generated in the place.  It'll be like visiting Dubai, very nice to see but little culture about.

Also Qatar will be the worst World Cup ever, quite simply can't see how any culture and atmosphere is going to be generated in the place.  It'll be like visiting Dubai, very nice to see but little culture about.

Yeah.... that's what some people thought about Japan/Korea.

Guest neesy111

Japan and Korea have culture, Japan is one the top tourist destinations in the world despite the ridiculous cost of going there.

sorry, but i just have to flag up the fact that you're seemingly comparing Qatar, a country that a few years back was one big sand dune, to the ancient cultures of Japan and Korea, with their rich heritages and many, many millions of people, cultural and technological accomplishments, legacies of artistic and scientific brilliance, high levels of human development, well respected civil societies, freedom of the press and so on. who the hell said Japan/Korea had no culture or atmosphere? idiotic in the extreme.

qatar is just a few dozen rich royals who probably live in london or paris paying off some corrupt bastards in order to stage an event that they should never have even been considered for. Japan and Korea are some of the most well respected and most well developed countries on the planet. it's kind of like comparing newcastle with sunderland...

Where to buy alcohol in Doha

The only licensed shop you can buy alcohol at is the Qatar Distribution Company. To do so you need an alcohol permit, which can be obtained at the centre. Unfortunately, you can’t enter the shop without an alcohol permit, and you can only get an alcohol permit in the shop.

I've just got in the house and haven't read the whole thread, but this is one of the funniest things I've ever read. :lol:

Seriously, seriously, seriously - that's fucking hilarious man. :lol:

Qatar will change a bunch of their laws for the duration of the world cup, so i imagine the business with alcohol, women, the press, human rights and so on will be relaxed. but i think if a country HAS to do that for a world cup then it's basically a sign they shouldn't really be considered in the first place.

I've been to J-league and K-league games prior to the 2002 World Cup and the atmosphere at those games were good actually. I guess it was ignorance/lack of knowledge about those countries that brought them to that 'conclusion'.

I've been to J-league and K-league games prior to the 2002 World Cup and the atmosphere at those games were good actually. I guess it was ignorance/lack of knowledge about those countries that brought them to that 'conclusion'.

There's no way you can compare Japan and Korea with their infrastructure, population base and their (relative to Qatars at leats) soccer background that both have in place, something Qatar don't.

Qatar are also a decent electric car away from becoming bankrupt overnight.

But despite concerns regarding the blistering heat it was Qatar who convinced the Fifa voters. "We know it would be a bold gamble and an exciting prospect but with no risk," the bid chief executive, Hassan Al-Thawadi, said. "Heat is not and will not be an issue."

A bold gamble with no risk?  :lol:

Multi Millionaire footballers, 67 million just to premier league agents last year,

Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of us are bled dry in grass roots football

The hypocracy of our bid, talking nonsense of helping billions of youngsters through the empty rhetoric of  'Football United' whatever that means.

I could not think of anyone better to represent the paper thin facade of our game where everything is syphoned off to the top than a Royal prince, an old Etonian prime minister and the grotesqe ubercelebrity of brand Beckham.

Shed no tears for any of them, they will continue to line their pockets, that should heal their pain at least.

excellent post

Someone posted the first part of his comments earlier, but for me Taylor sums it up perfectly.

Former England manager Graham Taylor also dismissed criticism of the media and said nothing about Fifa surprised him any more.

"I'm just surprised that we're surprised," he said. "Fifa is an organisation that doesn't have to answer to anyone. What did we expect?

"Fifa for me is full of people who say 'yes' to your face and 'no' behind your back. Their reputation has not changed over many years.

"England have had little or no influence. We are considered to be arrogant and know-alls."

He also defended the English media, whose investigations into Fifa have been cited by some people as one of the reasons for the bid's failure.

"I'm not one of those blaming Panorama or the Sunday Times - this has been going on for years," he said.

"I just have a feeling that perhaps, just perhaps, it might now be time... they really need looking into, they should really be investigated - and of course our journalists are very good at that."

Taylor also criticised the decision to give the 2022 World Cup to Qatar, adding on BBC Radio 4's PM programme: "It really is surprising. Where is the heart and soul of football in Qatar? And yet that decision has been made."

Qatar will change a bunch of their laws for the duration of the world cup, so i imagine the business with alcohol, women, the press, human rights and so on will be relaxed. but i think if a country HAS to do that for a world cup then it's basically a sign they shouldn't really be considered in the first place.

It's not only Qatar...

http://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/FIFA-to-be-exempt-from-taxes-20100416

http://2010-world-cup.co.cc/soccer-buzz-does-fifa-ask-for-too-much-legal-power-in-world-cup

Brazil is giving a FIFA a tax break (no taxes at all) and changed their laws to accommodate FIFA. Russia is going to lift visa requirements for visitors during the world cup. Who knows what else past hosts had to do to meet FIFA's demands?