*OFFICIAL* HUGHTON SACKED

Skirge

Guest Ridzuan

It seems like Campbell is the first player to come out and speak on this issue.

Newcastle United defender Sol Campbell has spoken of his admiration for axed boss Chris Hughton and claims the manager's shock sacking will have a negative impact on the club's morale.

Campbell, who made his 500th Premier League appearance this weekend, told ESPNsoccernet: "Chris is such a lovely guy. Top man. This will hit the players hard. The players admired him, and liked him, and won't be happy now he's gone like this."

The former England, Arsenal and Tottenham centre-back added: "You have got to ask yourself why this has happened because it makes no sense. Here is a guy who has done an unbelievable job. He got the club back into the Premier league and any manager would have been rewarded for that with a new contract - but Chris wasn't.

"The players are sure to be asking themselves 'what the hell is going on?', that is only natural.

"We all had a good relationship with the players, and when we left training this morning none of the players had a clue this was coming.

"But word started to spread that the bookies had stopped taking bets and the players started texting each other with the news.

"Yes, it has come as a shock, and it will affect the dressing room there is no doubt about that."

Guest MrSundlofer

Aye, it seems as though he'd lost the dressing room. Would explain the sudden downturn in performances, even the decent result against Chelsea seemed to lack the spark of the Sunderland and Arsenal games.

According a player in that dressing room the spirit is fantastic and he is chocked Chris Hughton has been sacked and he hasn't been informed about it yet from the club or anyone, only the media.

Well if it is a good experienced manager coming in, then there will be new signings in January. No manager worth his salt is going to carry on for the rest of the season without a playmaker and a decent winger who can cross a ball. Also either the winger or the playmaker will need to deliver a good deadball.

Aye, it seems as though he'd lost the dressing room. Would explain the sudden downturn in performances, even the decent result against Chelsea seemed to lack the spark of the Sunderland and Arsenal games.

Does it? What's the source on that?

I really hope it's not actually true, but the absolutely gutless last two away performances would arguably suggest that he had. :undecided:

Dave - various messages from people (including Skirge's point) but it goes with what I've also seen with my own eyes. I'm merely providing a slightly logical explanation for today's events so that I can begin to process it.

"because Ashley is trying to destroy the club" doesn't work for me :undecided:

Does it? What's the source on that?

I really hope it's not actually true, but the absolutely gutless last two away performances would arguably suggest that he had. :undecided:

So the instant a club starts losing games it's fair to suggest the manager has lost the dressing room and therefore needs replacing sharpish? Do me a favour.

I note Stu has failed to criticise this decision one bit btw, despite being all over others having a go at Hughton and the players like a rash in previous weeks.

Amidst rumours of Nolan going apeshit at him and Barton refusing to play? I hope i'm just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, like. It doesn't sound completely impossible, though.

I'm not saying it justifies his sacking, either, btw.

Well what a fucking bombshell this is.  Found out at work when a mate called to let me know, just got home so I can see everyone's reaction etc.

I just can't believe it.  Ashley is just fucking insane.  The one thing that got this club promoted in style and doing ok this season is stability and Chris Hughton.  I can only assume Ashley believes we should be sitting in the top 4 right now? how is 11th after 16 games bad considering that we should be grateful if we even make 17th come end of season given all that has happened.  I know yesterday was a shambles and so were other games at home against poor sides, but you can't ignore beating Arsenal away, smashing up Villa and Sunderland at home or even the way we beat Everton away etc.

I feel terrible for Hughton, the poor bloke has been stabbed in the back after doing a great job in such difficult circumstances. This decision could get us relegated again and it's all that impatient stupid fat cunts fault.  I have a terrible feeling David O'Leary will return or even Joe Kinnear.  That's how fucking stupid Ashley is.  No decent manager would come to us because they know that Ashley will sack them at the first sign of trouble.  Christ for all Martin O'Neil's good work at Villa, they got stuffed in some games by big score lines.

If Ashley does somehow get in Martin O'Neil I'd be happy with that, but how can he keep hold of him? he would want money each year to spend that Ashley would never give.  And he's proved that if the board try to fuck him over that he will walk, so hardly someone with Ashley's record that could work.  In fact I think most managers would look at this club and say "no, don't want to work with Mike Ashley thanks".

I actually feel like crying in outrage and hurt, but I'm so shocked and in disbelief I can't feel any emotions right now.  In some ways I hope the fans back off and leave the club to it, I don't want a repeat of the 08-09 season as it destroyed us.  We may not be lucky enough to have someone like Chris Hughton to get us back up if we get relegated again.

Been lurking here for years, and have been meaning to post for a while...what better time than now.

25 years I have followed this football club, and have noticed recently that we seemed to be going full circle back to the dark days of the early 1980s. An unambitious board, local rising talent looking likely to end up elsewhere & a fragile confidence amongst the supporters about what the future would bring.

This football club is in serious trouble now. Unless there is a sensational appointment in the form of someone like Martin Jol then NUFC is about to become fragmented amongst it's support just like in the days of Seymour & McKeag. It's actually unfolding right now on this message board as fans draw up the battle lines about boycotting/supporting the club and it will result in our relegation this season.

I was one of the original "supporters for change" who boycotted in the '80s but handed out leaflets etc outside the ground on matchdays. It was obvious then in the 88/89 season that the turmoil would send us down but we were unperturbed. Relegation was a price worth paying as it ultimately got rid of McKeag and ushered in the Keegan Wonder Years. The same price is now worth paying to get rid of Ashley.

To all those who utter the "just support the club" mantra : dont waste your breath, you may as well join the protests because when NUFC is disunited as it is about to be then the only way is down.

The big difference from 30 years ago though is that the club is much more high profile now and whilst nobody cared about us back then this time we are universally loathed for sacking Hughton. Fans, players, managers, pundits are right now expressing their contempt at us and will be willing us to be relegated. Just have a look around the forums, we are despised and who can blame them for doing so?

Dark, dark times ahead.

Newcastle United defender Sol Campbell has spoken of his admiration for axed boss Chris Hughton and claims the manager's shock sacking will have a negative impact on the club's morale.

Campbell, who made his 500th Premier League appearance this weekend, told ESPNsoccernet: "Chris is such a lovely guy. Top man. This will hit the players hard. The players admired him, and liked him, and won't be happy now he's gone like this."

The former England, Arsenal and Tottenham centre-back added: "You have got to ask yourself why this has happened because it makes no sense. Here is a guy who has done an unbelievable job. He got the club back into the Premier league and any manager would have been rewarded for that with a new contract - but Chris wasn't.

"The players are sure to be asking themselves 'what the hell is going on?', that is only natural.

"We all had a good relationship with the players, and when we left training this morning none of the players had a clue this was coming.

"But word started to spread that the bookies had stopped taking bets and the players started texting each other with the news.

"Yes, it has come as a shock, and it will affect the dressing room there is no doubt about that."

100% lost the dressing room then.

Fucking idiots.

Fucking brilliant.

Guest neesy111

I think our poor performances could maybe be pinned down to multiple key players been injured/suspended and the lack of any assistant manager

This has defo contributed to them.

I think our poor performances could maybe be pinned down to multiple key players been injured/suspended and the lack of any assistant manager

Course, people don't seem to realise just how poor our squad is with a few injuries.

A new manager isn't suddenly going to make Simpson, Routledge, Guthrie, Ameobi, S Taylor, R Taylor, Lovenkrands, Smith and Chums into good footballers.

Guest Ridzuan

I think given the opportunity, Chris would have probably appointed a new assistant manager after the departure of Colin Calderwood but perhaps he was being told to wait by Mike Ashley as his departure was imminent. It wouldnt make any sense to get a new assistant manager, only to sack him a few months after that.