Alan Pardew

JH

I'd take top 8 and some good cup runs for next season right now, it would be class. Three chances to win a cup next season, winning a cup surely has to be the main target.

Just controlling expectation aint he, normal stuff. Im fairly certain people will requestion his ability to manage us at points next season.

Also says:

Having achieved the board’s target of a top-10 finish, he insists: “This year, I’m sure we’ll say something like, ‘We’re looking for a top-eight finish, hopefully attack one of the cups and have a great run in Europe. I wouldn’t say we couldn’t challenge for the top six if we got knocked out of Europe. Then we wouldn’t have those extra 13 games.”

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/alan-pardew-my-plan-to-land-the-england-hotseat-7777988.html

“If they think we can finish fifth with a European campaign and the finances we’ve got, it’s impossible. I honestly believe that you need to be a bit more open with the fans. The problem some managers have is they’re not open enough.”

He's so two-faced in the media. Sure he said last week we should be looking to finish 5th or higher again next season (something along those lines anyway, sure CL was mentioned).

I was reading The Independent today.... there was a feature where journalists would pick their best 5 goals, best 5 players, best 5 games, etc..... and one journalist actually chose these top 5 managers as the most impressive of the season -

1.Paul Sturrock

2.Brendan Rogers

3.Roberto Mancini

4.Ian Holloway

5.David Moyes

:kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/alan-pardew-my-plan-to-land-the-england-hotseat-7777988.html

“If they think we can finish fifth with a European campaign and the finances we’ve got, it’s impossible. I honestly believe that you need to be a bit more open with the fans. The problem some managers have is they’re not open enough.”

It's clear from what he's said before that he has mixed feelings about the Europa League. Either he's pressuring Ashley for a bigger squad, or he's preparing us in advance for the reserves to be pitched in to the Europa League and an early exit, like Spurs.

He's so two-faced in the media. Sure he said last week we should be looking to finish 5th or higher again next season (something along those lines anyway, sure CL was mentioned).

Gimme the quotes.

He's being honest (again). He's absolutely correct when he says it's unrealistic to match this season in the league AND have a decent European campaign too. I'd like to think that our fans understand the extra strain that playing Thursday/Sunday will have. More games, more travel, more injuries...it's inevitable that you sacrifice one for the other.

It's going be a fantastic experience for them to be playing in Europe but there are drawbacks too. Large measures of common sense, patience and and biting of tongues will be needed next year.

He's being honest (again). He's absolutely correct when he says it's unrealistic stomach this season in the league AND have a decent European campaign too. I'd like to think that our fans understand the extra strain that playing Thursday/Sunday will have. More games, more travel, more injuries...it's inevitable that you sacrifice one for the other.

It's going be a fantastic experience for them to be playing in Europe but there are drawbacks too. Large measures of common sense, patience and and biting of tongues will be needed next year.

:clap:

Guest Chubby Jason

He's being honest (again). He's absolutely correct when he says it's unrealistic to match this season in the league AND have a decent European campaign too. I'd like to think that our fans understand the extra strain that playing Thursday/Sunday will have. More games, more travel, more injuries...it's inevitable that you sacrifice one for the other.

Or sign enough players to cope with European football.

Or sign enough players to cope with European football.

Aye. But even so...

Gimme the quotes.

Think there was more than this but it's the first one I found:

"What we have to do now is try to push on and get those 21 wins in 2012-13 that will get us a Champions League spot."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4314101/Alan-Pardew-has-his-sights-set-on-Champs-League-next-season.html

It's a message to Ashley & Co.

Ashley and who? What is the message?

Whoever controls the purse strings. Just sounds rather similar to Keegan's quotes at the end of 07/08.

There's every chance we can have another good season in the league, whilst progressing in Europe - providing we hang onto all of our first-teamers and add to the squad. We did it under Bobby.

Two faced is a bit of a strong term. I have not problem with these little contradictions, like the rest of those he would love us to push on and go that bit further but he also needs to manage expectations so it's not unusual that his interviews will be a little mixed up imo.

Whoever controls the purse strings. Just sounds rather similar to Keegan's quotes at the end of 07/08.

There's every chance we can have another good season in the league, whilst progressing in Europe - providing we hang onto all of our first-teamers and add to the squad. We did it under Bobby.

Disagree entirely, the two situations are not even comparable.

That we looked on course to challenge for a European place (and succeed) has accelerated squad 'rebuilding' plans - I firmly believe Pards was happy with the club's focus on revamping the youth/reserve squad over the next 12mths while adding/replacing first team players as and when it was necessary (injury, loss of form, sale, etc.)

Obviously now that we've got a potential European campaign to dangle in front of the promising youngsters, do the club want to take that away by signing 5/6 first team 'ready' players?

Disagree entirely, the two situations are not even comparable.

That we looked on course to challenge for a European place (and succeed) has accelerated squad 'rebuilding' plans - I firmly believe Pards was happy with the club's focus on revamping the youth/reserve squad over the next 12mths while adding/replacing first team players as and when it was necessary (injury, loss of form, sale, etc.)

Obviously now that we've got a potential European campaign to dangle in front of the promising youngsters, do the club want to take that away by signing 5/6 first team 'ready' players?

Don't have any problems with the financial blueprint that's currently in place. It's extremely sensible in the game's current financial climate, and on top of that, there's something more honest about the way we've gone about things - as opposed to the likes of Man City and Chelsea. And i would take a (comfortable) bottom half finish next season if it meant reaching the final of the Waffa Cup. However, i don't think it will be the 'either/or' scenario that Pardew's hinting to. There's every chance we can do well in both, providing we have a good summer.

I don't think you can deny similarities in the quotes; Keegan said he didn't have enough money to challenge the European spots. What Pardew has said there isn't radically different.

I've got no problem with him managing expectations and i don't think the comments are wildly pessimistic, but i wouldn't be surprised if it was a thinly veiled warning to those who will be doing the transfer deals this summer, incoming as well as outgoing.