Alan Pardew

JH

This place is lacking something the last few days, time for a contentious post to stir things up a bit I think.

Just musing on Pardew the other day and I came to the conclusion he was worryingly similar to Souness in at least one respect. He deals badly with personality clashes.

We all remember how Souness dealt with Bellamy, and on reflection, Gullit was no better with Rob Lee.

Ranger hasn't been given much of a chance by Pardew, a few appearances as sub and it looks like he couldn't wait to get rid. Hughton had time for him and was bringing him along gently, and can you imagine how Bobby Robson may have put an arm over the shoulder and encouraged him?

Ranger has personality problems no doubt, and if he fails as a footballer it will most likely be because of off-field issues interfering with his development rather than his talent wasting away.

Without any current Newcastle games to watch I've recently been re-watching some of last seasons games. In particular the sub appearances against Liverpool and Arsenal at home, he really changed the games. It's not all about scoring goals, his overall contribution was far more important - the constant harrying of defenders, the hold up play, the strength and pace. All were there.

Now Nolan, I suspected before the seasons end that Pardew wanted rid if possible. It was Nolan's dressing room. He had too much influence and it had to be curtailed if Pardew was going to be in control.

I'm not actually trying to paint Pardew as some heinous Bond villian here. Just a different take on his soundbytes, he's a bit of a spin doctor/politician type as far as I can tell. He'll build his own team spirit and win a lot of friends superficially, but my guess is you don't want to get on the wrong side of him. He would be smiling as he slides the knife in.

I like Pardew but can still agree with a lot of that post. Football management is a dirty and complex art and you don't get anywhere by being the "good soldier" and playing it straight, can you name me a good manager who has? You have to get a performance out of squad players (one of Souness' biggest failings imo), keep the squad on their toes and ship players when the time is right or when they no longer fit into what you are trying to do. All good managers do that and it involves being Machiavellian at times.

It ridiculous to make comparisons predicated on Nile f***ing Ranger. Did Sir Bobby deal 'badly with personality clashes?' Because i'm telling you now, he'd have had a c*** like Ranger out the door this summer.

Souness was ultimately driven by his ego and emotions. Pardew's a far more intelligent manager from what i've seen from him so far.

Totally agree with this.

I also think if Ranger was doing it on the pitch we'd accept his off the field stuff more, but he's nothing more than a fair Championship striker imo, maybe someone you could throw on as an impact sub late-on, but not to get a goal. He's like a Robbie Earnshaw-level version of Emile Heskey.

This place is lacking something the last few days, time for a contentious post to stir things up a bit I think.

Just musing on Pardew the other day and I came to the conclusion he was worryingly similar to Souness in at least one respect. He deals badly with personality clashes.

We all remember how Souness dealt with Bellamy, and on reflection, Gullit was no better with Rob Lee.

Ranger hasn't been given much of a chance by Pardew, a few appearances as sub and it looks like he couldn't wait to get rid. Hughton had time for him and was bringing him along gently, and can you imagine how Bobby Robson may have put an arm over the shoulder and encouraged him?

Ranger has personality problems no doubt, and if he fails as a footballer it will most likely be because of off-field issues interfering with his development rather than his talent wasting away.

Without any current Newcastle games to watch I've recently been re-watching some of last seasons games. In particular the sub appearances against Liverpool and Arsenal at home, he really changed the games. It's not all about scoring goals, his overall contribution was far more important - the constant harrying of defenders, the hold up play, the strength and pace. All were there.

Now Nolan, I suspected before the seasons end that Pardew wanted rid if possible. It was Nolan's dressing room. He had too much influence and it had to be curtailed if Pardew was going to be in control.

I'm not actually trying to paint Pardew as some heinous Bond villian here. Just a different take on his soundbytes, he's a bit of a spin doctor/politician type as far as I can tell. He'll build his own team spirit and win a lot of friends superficially, but my guess is you don't want to get on the wrong side of him. He would be smiling as he slides the knife in.

I like Pardew but can still agree with a lot of that post. Football management is a dirty and complex art and you don't get anywhere by being the "good soldier" and playing it straight, can you name me a good manager who has? You have to get a performance out of squad players (one of Souness' biggest failings imo), keep the squad on their toes and ship players when the time is right or when they no longer fit into what you are trying to do. All good managers do that and it involves being Machiavellian at times.

:clap:

Speaking on his progress on the transfer front, Pardew told the Chronicle: “We’re all looking forward to getting back to work next Monday.

“The squad is looking healthy and, hopefully, there are still one or two to come.

“They won’t be in before July 4, but we hope to get one in before the tour of America – and there could well be one after the tour.”

Pretty disturbing in my eyes that its only 2 players coming in total if you take Depardieus quote as gospel as imho we need atleast 3 quality players minimum to show an improvement on last season as our bench was piss poor and i believe Jose will go on deadline day like Carroll did with no chance of an adequete replacement being signed in time (Naylor not proven at our level).

Speaking on his progress on the transfer front, Pardew told the Chronicle: “We’re all looking forward to getting back to work next Monday.

“The squad is looking healthy and, hopefully, there are still one or two to come.

“They won’t be in before July 4, but we hope to get one in before the tour of America – and there could well be one after the tour.”

Pretty disturbing in my eyes that its only 2 players coming in total if you take Depardieus quote as gospel as imho we need atleast 3 quality players minimum to show an improvement on last season as our bench was p*ss poor and i believe Jose will go on deadline day like Carroll did with no chance of an adequete replacement being signed in time (Naylor not proven at our level).

I've adopted a very patient approach to our transfers, but 2 is entirely unacceptable especially since we've not really spend the 35M we got for Carroll and the high likelihood of Jose leaving. Minimum 4 I would say with 2 strikers, one left back and another utility squad player perhaps as cover for Tiote (who will miss quite a few games)

He must mean two new players besides first team replacements, surely?

If we lose Enrique and Barton and bring two in it's not good enough. We'll do very well to replace those with better players who quickly settle into the team. Looking at our forward line, we obviously need another striker because if we're pinning our hopes on a striker with a sketchy injury history we could be seeing a lot of Lovenkrands and Ameobi again.

Yeah I'm finding Pardew's recent comments about numbers worrying too. There's still time to bring in faces but as others have said it's not good enough to simply cover the positions of those you've sold. Pardew also talks about having Ben Arfa and Gosling as new signings but I'm sorry both are coming back from serious, serious injuries ffs! Gosling's barely kicked a ball in two years or whatever!!!

Someone's description of Pardew being a spin doctor is fairly accurate, he says a lot of the right things but if you break it down there's cracks everywhere.

I'm still waiting to be convinced in this window.

Guest TheSummerOf69

Pardew:

“Andy Carroll’s future was one of the items at the top of my agenda. He needs to stay. I have had reassurances about that, 100% he is staying here.... I guarantee while I am here he will be here.”

“In terms of myself, I never really had any contact about this job or any other job.” (On nicking "Houghton"s job)

“We have to have a big-club mentality and hold on to our best player.”

“I want Joey to stay... and that goes for all the other players, like Andy. They are not going. We want them to stay here, and that is something that we’re working towards.”

“In this window, Andy Carroll is definitely going nowhere.”

“There’s a no sale on Andy Carroll, which is probably the biggest and best news we’re going to have during the window.”

“I have said all along that Andy Carroll will not be leaving this football club, 100%.”

“They can put together what they like, he's not for sale.“

“It’s ridiculous. How many times do I need to say he’s not for sale? Well here it is one more time, he’s not for sale.”

Pardew:

"For the Newcastle fan, that is the most important message I can give today, that all that money will be used."

Keegan:

“It is not going to be reinvested is it, I think that’s obvious. As a Newcastle fan, if Carroll is the only one you are going to lose you have to be pretty thankful."

(2 free transfers plus a re-investment of the 5m from selling our captain and top scorer later...)

Pardew:

"Things are definitely moving on now and we expect to be busier between now and the start of the season. We are working very hard on one or two players and we hope to announce something soon."

“Hopefully, there are still one or two to come.”

(and one of those is presumably the £1m guy from Swansea).

Guest TheSummerOf69

I think we all remember him saying Carroll wouldn't be sold tbh.

A £35 million offer and a transfer request can be a game changer.

It's the re-investment angle I'm now focussing on. I wouldn't believe Pardew saying every day that he's got plenty money to reinvest until I actually saw it, but it's noticeable that he's now saying much smaller scale stuff.

Why have you got Lambias as your avatar picture, btw? Is he a hero of yours?

It's the re-investment angle I'm now focussing on. I wouldn't believe Pardew saying every day that he's got plenty money to reinvest until I actually saw it, but it's noticeable that he's now saying much smaller scale stuff.

Why have you got Lambias as your avatar picture, btw? Is he a hero of yours?

So you're focussing on the re-investment angle but decided to post the multiple quotes from Pardew where he said Carroll wouldn't be sold before he put a transfer request in and Liverpool offered a ridiculous amount of money. Nice.

Didn't Pardew also come out shortly after and cleared up his original quotes stating the fee would cover fee's and wages?

I interpret his comments to mean that 2 more will come in being a left back and a striker which will take our squad to it's 25 man capacity, of course I'd expect any outgoings to be replaced with upgrades where possible on a 1 in 1 out basis after that.

Derek's not a bad bloke. Why have you got Beardsley as your avatar? Not only did the bloke walk out on the club to play for Liverpool but sold out to the Cockney Mafia this time around. Scandalous.

Fans can appreciate a 35 million sale of their star player IF it's spent on bringing in several players. It's all the usual cloack and daggers stuff in that nobody actually knows what the board wants because they never speak to the fans. If we go into the season with a squad lacking depth like last year having not spent considerably on new players then it just confirms the misgivings everyone has about Ashley/Llambias and Pardew being a puppet.

Those quotes above are good, Pardew should learn to keep his mouth shut more and would probably whince if someone read those back to him. This is the season to judge him though when he's had the time assemble "his" squad.

The former Charlton boss suggested that shorter-term contracts might represent the future for Premier League players.

“I think, like a lot of players, that yearly term contracts in the Premier League are going to be the norm,” said Pardew.

Try telling your pals upstairs that win they sling 5 year contracts at everything then .

My thoughts on Pardew are changing from cautious optimism to one of distrust at each passing day and The summerof69 is correct in bringing in these Pardew quotes imho as it is now showing the evidence that he is a mouth piece for the board .

Tell me when that 35 million will start getting used as promised as a small portion has been used on players wages and fees etc but not transfer outlay (Nolan paid for Cabaye and his wages i would believe). If Barton and Enrique go and that is possible then atleast 5 players coming in minimum as our bench was shite last season in the majority of cases .

So obvious that Pardew has ZERO influence on players coming or going. He'll work with what he is given.

Not obvious to me exactly, but I'm inclined to believe the same. Or at least his options are filtered to such an extent that his options aren't really his own (which is true to most managers of non-Man City/Chelsea clubs, but more so here).

Does he have to spend the whole £35 million? As long as good investments and improvements to the squad have been made I don't really care how much is spent. At the moment we are not much of an improvement on last season. I think on paper Cabaye looks and upgrade on Nolan, Marveaux adds a bit of numbers to the wide players and is possible a better option than Routledge with Ba as long as he stays fit being better than any of the strikers we ended the season with. Its a gamble to count on Ben Arfa and Gosling as new players given their injuries last season but if we can get them playing anywhere near their best then it will mean an improvement to our team and squad.

If we can keep Barton & Enrique and bring in Taylor, Zoggy and Sturridge I would be more than happy with that. ( I know that Zoggy and Sturridge are unlikely at the moment, but you couldn't rule out the possibility)!

So obvious that Pardew has ZERO influence on players coming or going. He'll work with what he is given.

Not obvious to me exactly, but I'm inclined to believe the same. Or at least his options are filtered to such an extent that his options aren't really his own (which is true to most managers of non-Man City/Chelsea clubs, but more so here).

It's just the way modern management works TBH, you have to work with what the scouts can find and what the board will sanction. I'm sure Pardew understands and accepts this situation, I don't think it's anything to be worried about at all.