Alan Pardew

JH

Guest Roger Kint

Why? Because he won't play Ben Arfa? Danny Mills on late kick off last night saying he's one of the best man managers he's worked with.

I think thats exactly it sadly

People becoming more clouded on the Ben Arfa issue. Do u really think he rates Obertan over HBA talent wise? Pardews not happy with his attitude and is trying every trick in the book to motivate him. If he doesn't improve by the summer I can see him being shipped out. HBA has played a few times now and I have yet to see a good performance from him, some good moments is about all he can boast.

Ben Arfa is the most naturally talented player we have. A manager sometimes need flair and sometimes he wants solidity in his line up.

HBA gives us loads of the former but very little of the latter. He is much more likely to be on the pitch if we're losing or in need of an injection of positivity and less likely to play if we're winning and hanging on to a game.

For what it's worth I'd find somewhere in every starting XI for him. I think.

Thing is, we're where we are right now because of the things that Pardew is good at. We could get a manager that's better at certain things, but there'd be no guarantee that we'd keep the strengths we already have.

I reckon we could probably get a more tactically astute manager from somewhere, but would the new manager would command the respect of the players or be capable of working with Ashley and Llambias like Pardew?

In any venture "right fit" is sometimes more important than objective ability, and there's no doubting that Pardew is the right fit for the club at the moment.

Wouldn't trade him for anyone at this point. God knows I don't trust Ashley to make another managerial appointment.

You wouldnt trade him against no one even if Ashley wasnt the owner? (rest of the post isnt directed at you ;) )

Lets be frank, Pardew has done well but he lacks what a great manager possesses which is the ability to change a match for the greater good. We have not once won when conceding first. Pardew gets more credit than he deserves, while he is a big reason and not taking anything away from him while we are up there, I believe this season has come down a lot more to individual brilliance and luck at the right time than a brilliant pardew. Pardew has surely settled this team well, but we have by no means played as well as the table suggests.

Evidence that supports this is:

Krul has been magical in plenty of matches. Examples being Wolves (a), Man U(a), Blackburn (a) penalty save which probably won us the game, Fulham (h), ridiculous saves against Villa.

Individual brilliance from Raylor against Everton and Shiteland.

Ba  goalscoring form

Shola magic goal against Spurs

Papiss in the weekend.

We were lucky against QPR, penalty against Man U and plenty other games 

Why my criticism against Pardew many will ask. Well its because of his ability to almost screw over games with his tactics. Prime example is letting Villa back into the game in the weekend, letting QPR outplay us for more than they should, for letting Wolves back in the game, for letting Fulham beat us 5-2 as we backed off, for giving Blackburn a chance last wednesday by backing off once again. We almost let Stoke back in the game too. 

He seems content to defend when up instead of putting more pressure and playing to our strengths. He is too passive in my opinion and reminds me off Sven Göran Eriksson, a manager who can organize but will never be able to change a game with pure tactical brilliance.

Put it even clearer, Pardew has done really well, but he isnt the big reason why we are where we are. 

Thing is, we're where we are right now because of the things that Pardew is good at. We could get a manager that's better at certain things, but there'd be no guarantee that we'd keep the strengths we already have.

I reckon we could probably get a more tactically astute manager from somewhere, but would the new manager would command the respect of the players or be capable of working with Ashley and Llambias like Pardew?

In any venture "right fit" is sometimes more important than objective ability, and there's no doubting that Pardew is the right fit for the club at the moment.

Wouldn't trade him for anyone at this point. God knows I don't trust Ashley to make another managerial appointment.

Spot on  O0

People becoming more clouded on the Ben Arfa issue. Do u really think he rates Obertan over HBA talent wise? Pardews not happy with his attitude and is trying every trick in the book to motivate him. If he doesn't improve by the summer I can see him being shipped out. HBA has played a few times now and I have yet to see a good performance from him, some good moments is about all he can boast.

Dont remember Robert having the best attitude or anyone complaining about his talents. HBA was our best player in three games this season, out of not more than 10? Against QPR, Blackburn (FA) and Man City. He has created more than anyone has in so few minutes except Ba. I dont care if he doesnt track back (which he has done plenty of times ffs) he has scored and gotten us assists. He should start above any of our wingers, we should concentrate on attacking not defending with our team.

he has however been poor in his last two appearences, but Obeshitebulb has been terrible in 90% of his games.

You wouldnt trade him against no one even if Ashley wasnt the owner? (rest of the post isnt directed at you ;) )

Lets be frank, Pardew has done well but he lacks what a great manager possesses which is the ability to change a match for the greater good. We have not once won when conceding first. Pardew gets more credit than he deserves, while he is a big reason and not taking anything away from him while we are up there, I believe this season has come down a lot more to individual brilliance and luck at the right time than a brilliant pardew. Pardew has surely settled this team well, but we have by no means played as well as the table suggests.

Krul has been magical in plenty of matches. Examples being Wolves (a), Man U(a), Blackburn (a) penalty save which probably won us the game, Fulham (h), ridiculous saves against Villa.

Ba  goalscoring form

Papiss in the weekend.

Why my criticism against Pardew many will ask. Well its because of his ability to almost screw over games with his tactics. Prime example is letting Villa back into the game in the weekend, letting QPR outplay us for more than they should, for letting Wolves back in the game, for letting Fulham beat us 5-2 as we backed off, for giving Blackburn a chance last wednesday by backing off once again. We almost let Stoke back in the game too. 

He seems content to defend when up instead of putting more pressure and playing to our strengths. He is too passive in my opinion and reminds me off Sven Göran Eriksson, a manager who can organize but will never be able to change a game with pure tactical brilliance.

Put it even clearer, Pardew has done really well, but he isnt the big reason why we are where we are. 

Just to go over those

Krul being our number one now was Pardews choice.

Raylor even being in the side (when few on here wanted it) was down to Pardew.

Ba is a signing Pardew chose.

Shola coming on in that game (when none on here wanted it) was down to Pardew.

Papiss is a signing Pardew chose.

We have had luck yes, all teams will have it both ways. Man United had 4 pens in their last two games & Chelsea 3 Own goals.

We Outplayed Man United the next time we played them, wonder how that happened.

So apart from all of those situations you listed being entirely down to Pardew, he isnt a big reason why we are where we are aye  :lol:

Ba  goalscoring form

Papiss in the weekend.

There's giving Pardew too much credit, then there's giving him none! Sounds like you're giving him no credit with the above post tbh.

You can't use the "our keeper is f***ing mint" as an argument to discredit the manager of the football club. For all we know, Pardew and his management of the club, is the reason why Krul (who is obviously very talented) is in fantastic form. I don't buy this idea that if a team's GK plays well, then they were lucky to win or avoid defeat because of some heroics. Keepers are part of the football team on the pitch after all no? Their performances are as responsible for results as that of any other player in any other position on the pitch, on any given Saturday.

Fact of the matter is, we've won matches, and are still in business at this stage in the season. Pardew should get whatever credit is allowed any football manager when they succeed, and in his case it is relative success. Oldtype's argument is spot on, in that he should be allowed the praise he gets precisely for being the right man to lead this club at this time.

I don't see Pardew, at the moment, being the one to lead us onto greater and bigger things. I reckon we need someone who is a step up if we're going to challenge for Europe year in year out. Nevertheless I do believe Pardew's management of the club is a massive reason we are where we are now.

Guest Dontooner

Why? Because he won't play Ben Arfa? Danny Mills on late kick off last night saying he's one of the best man managers he's worked with.

I think thats exactly it sadly

Aye dont try to quote me, not big Ben Arfa fan mind you, just dislike his two face quotes on one player yet letting off Obertan and Shola?? I dont try to second guess pardew mind games with ben arfa or the players under him to get the best out of them.

As it stands, rather than being a two face, why not just say ben have some issues, its difficult to get his playing to his tactics , he slacks in training etc. Than bigging up the player one week and slagging him off the next. While protecting Obertan and Shola. Its this part that i can't seem to sit with. Sorry i still under the impression he in cahoots with the owners and dont really trust him since his arrival.

Everyone keeps saying we don't have an amazing squad, yet we're fifth in the league despite missing a few keys players for a while too. Surely by any normal measure that means Pardew is doing a great job.

Whether he's the one to lead us onto bigger and better things remains to be seen, but he has earned his chance to try.

Robert was consistent, attacking wise. Yes he didn't track back but he also didn't go missing. Ben Arfa hasn't been our best player in any game this year, one magically moment doesn't change that. There's no doubting his talent and I believe he is a better player than Obertan but for most of the time Ben Arfa has been on the pitch he has done nothing. I'm trying to ignore his reputation in order to give a balanced view.

Guest Roger Kint

Everyone keeps saying we don't have an amazing squad, yet we're fifth in the league despite missing a few keys players for a while too. Surely by any normal measure that means Pardew is doing a great job.

Whether he's the one to lead us onto bigger and better things remains to be seen, but he has earned his chance to try.

This. Plus i dont particularly care about analysing his interviews to find any possible negatives like some, the fact is he is doing something right to get the players where we are so let him be. Dont see it as two faced or anything else daft like that, different players need different motivation(we all can see how helpful 40 odd thousand groans/boos etc work on Obertan) so i think he knows what he is doing tbh.

Robert was consistent, attacking wise. Yes he didn't track back but he also didn't go missing. Ben Arfa hasn't been our best player in any game this year, one magically moment doesn't change that. There's no doubting his talent and I believe he is a better player than Obertan but for most of the time Ben Arfa has been on the pitch he has done nothing. I'm trying to ignore his reputation in order to give a balanced view.

Aye, he only scored 3 goals and got 2 assists in 6 weeks. He was also our best player against Blackburn in the cup, when played in his best position, right hand side in a 4-4-2. Balanced.

How anyone can begrudge Pardew's style of play or anything else when we're sitting 5th in the table, one point off 4th, with 14 games left is beyond me.

We have been remarkably resilient this season - look at the teams we've put out there from time to time and still won games.  We are not fragile.  We've won at some truly diabolical grounds this year, like Stoke and Blackburn, playing ugly but effective football.  The results are brilliant. 

We won a match with Danny Guthrie, James Perch, and Ryan Taylor starting in midfield.  Who on earth would have expected that?  Pardew's clearly an excellent man manager and a pretty solid tactician.  Like every manager, Wenger, AVB, Fergie, and Mancini included, he's made tactical errors and personnel blunders.  He's also made halftime adjustments on more than one occasion that have won us points.

He wants to forge a strong squad.  That's why he bigs up squad players all the time.  He wants to instill a work ethic into every player, rightly or wrongly, and is demanding the same out of HBA.  I think we could capably handle a flair player like Hatem when we have Tiote/Cabaye in the starting XI and hardworking forwards running off him.  But since we haven't had that, solidity is more valued.  I can understand that even if I don't fully agree.  He has earned the right not to be second-guessed all the time.

There are areas in which he needs to improve but he has exceeded my expectations to a mind-boggling degree. 

I honestly thought it was impossible to win a game with a midfield of Perch, Raylor and Guthrie.

Like you say, solidity and graft has got us far this season, and even though I want to see more of HBA I can see why Pardew has valued those qualities above all else so far.

A top post. It's been a long time since I've felt we've had a manager that 'fits' us.

Pardew has done a tremendous job and his only 'crime' is that he's succeeded in raising expectations to such an extent that people think we deserve better, or that someone else could get more from this groups of players.

Whilst we're not playing carpet football every week we're a far cry from a team like fucking Stoke. The criticism Pardew gets is ridiculous.

You are right, Pardew is shit and he should play Ben Arfa every week because I seen some youtube clips of him being good in France.

I said most of the time he has done nothing, not all of the time. He also couldn't do anything against Brighton. I don't hear Ryan Taylor complaining because hes been played in his wrong position.

You are right, Pardew is s*** and he should play Ben Arfa every week because I seen some youtube clips of him being good in France.

I said most of the time he has done nothing, not all of the time. He also couldn't do anything against Brighton. I don't hear Ryan Taylor complaining because hes been played in his wrong position.

Errr what? I haven't said Pardew's 'shit'.

Most of the time? So in the matches he has played you're saying he should have scored and set up in every one, not just some of the time? You mentioned attacking consistency a la Robert, well there it is, cold hard facts, he produced.

He's also set up other chances for players in games (Simpson in thh cup, Ba Man City, Best QPR) and hit the post, all in very limited game time and in his wrong position. The latter is a fair comment to make how can you put it all on him to make it work, when we shift round a whole formation?

As for Brighton, who did play well?

I want HBA in the line up as much as anyone, but i fully understand why Pardew doesnt want to start him with Guthrie and Perch in midfield, Best and Shola upfront and Simpson at RB........

When they come back( Tiote and Cabaye) and Simpson is replaced by a quality fullback i hope to see Pardew give him more chances......

But atm the defensive cover is too weak to have someone like Ben Arfa playing on the right side of a 4-4-2......

Let's not use Ben Arfa not playing to cloud our judgement, Pardew is doing an insane job.

Our best manager since Sir Bobby IMO.

I want HBA in the line up as much as anyone, but i fully understand why Pardew doesnt want to start him with Guthrie and Perch in midfield, Best and Shola upfront and Simpson at RB........

When they come back( Tiote and Cabaye) and Simpson is replaced by a quality fullback i hope to see Pardew give him more chances......

But atm the defensive cover is too weak to have someone like Ben Arfa playing on the right side of a 4-4-2......

Let's not use Ben Arfa not playing to cloud our judgement, Pardew is doing an insane job.

Our best manager since Sir Bobby IMO.

Not had much competition tbf.