Alan Pardew

JH

I think it's a bit silly to think any manager is flawless

even you're doing it neil, ignoring what's being said and just implying we're having a go at the guy...most people are at pains to say "we're doing well now", "we're 6th"...."but the fact we've played like shit in the majority of games can't be a good thing and won't end well"

the two aren't mutually exclusive

even you're doing it neil, ignoring what's being said and just implying we're having a go at the guy...most people are at pains to say "we're doing well now", "we're 6th"...."but the fact we've played like shit in the majority of games can't be a good thing and won't end well"

Perhaps poor wording on my behalf because I don't disagree with what you've said. But the need for continuity - at this moment in time - is paramount for a club like yourselves who are improving. The doubts about the way you're playing - currently - aren't sufficient to warrant any real pressure on his position.

Perhaps poor wording on my behalf because I don't disagree with what you've said. But the need for continuity - at this moment in time - is paramount for a club like yourselves who are improving. The doubts about the way you're playing - currently - aren't sufficient to warrant any real pressure on his position.

agreed, and you won't find anything from me that could contradict that viewpoint...reasonable doubts should always be allowed though :thup:

A few people have said we're not playing "well". Can anyone tell me a team who are playing consistently well? Not Chelsea or Arsenal for a start. Sunderland are on a good run but are they playing well? They seem to be about sitting back and hit teams on the break. Apparently they aren't that entertaining to watch but the good results excuse that. Swansea and Norwich play passing football. I'd rather be where we are in the table than they are though. Even Man City with their squad are grinding out 1 - 0 wins. Tottenham are playing well I suppose.

A few people have said we're not playing "well". Can anyone tell me a team who are playing consistently well? Not Chelsea or Arsenal for a start. Sunderland are on a good run but are they playing well? They seem to be about sitting back and hit teams on the break. Apparently they aren't that entertaining to watch but the good results excuse that. Swansea and Norwich play passing football. I'd rather be where we are in the table than they are though. Even Man City with their squad are grinding out 1 - 0 wins. Tottenham are playing well I suppose.

Norwich aren't that far behind in points.

For me it's not about what others are doing, it's what we should be able to do with our own players, it's not like our team is full of shite these days. Hopefully in matches to come we finally get to see some better football with our front 6 of Jonas, HBA, Cabaye, Tiote, Ba & Cisse.

People can't criticise Pards heavily on results considering we are so high on the league. However they can still moan about not winning by bigger margins and not playing great football. I for one, think it's petty but if folk are determined to bash Pardew, they'll always find the ammo.

For me it's not about what others are doing, it's what we should be able to do with our own players, it's not like our team is full of s**** these days. Hopefully in matches to come we finally get to see some better football with our front 6 of Jonas, HBA, Cabaye, Tiote, Ba & Cisse.

It's a bit harsh to not take other teams performances into account. It's easy to argue that with the players Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City have got they should be playing better football than they are at the moment. We'd all like to play wonderful, entertaining football but at the end of the day it's a results business. I'd rather win than play pretty football. Apart from Ben Arfa for Obertan, Pardew played the side I would have picked against Spurs. We got hammered. A more defensive set up might have got us a better result.

What's this about "wonderful entertaining football"?

We concede chances like nobody's business, I'd settle for putting a stop to that first off - Fulham and Tottenham were pastings and if Yakubu had played, I don't think it's unfair to say Blackburn might have gone the same way and while Brighton didn't create much, we were absolutely dismal on the night. Is it also fair to say that if QPR had a striker worthy of the name on the field, we could have lost that game in the first twenty minutes? Apart from Villa which was a reasonable showing, that's our form.

Nobody's arguing with the results, not least because we're amongst a load of other teams shelling goals and points, but it's hardly unreasonable to point out that our form, performance-wise is poor.

Some people are just so desperate to defend the manager that they'll bat away any criticism or discussion, even from people who say "he's doing a fine job, however..." Why contribute if you've nothing to say beyond "everything's perfect"?

With any luck, our rather porous (at the moment) will stop with Tiote's return, at which point we need to start creating more chances and getting goals from midfield. We'll never get a better chance than this to qualify for the Champions League, that's my take on it, and I think if we continue to perform like this we'll fall short - don't get me wrong, 5th, 6th, 7th would still be a great season but we've got all the pieces to make it an incredible one if we fit them together properly during the run-in.

What's this about "wonderful entertaining football"?

We concede chances like nobody's business, I'd settle for putting a stop to that first off - Fulham and Tottenham were pastings and if Yakubu had played, I don't think it's unfair to say Blackburn might have gone the same way and while Brighton didn't create much, we were absolutely dismal on the night. Is it also fair to say that if QPR had a striker worthy of the name on the field, we could have lost that game in the first twenty minutes? Apart from Villa which was a reasonable showing, that's our form.

Nobody's arguing with the results, not least because we're amongst a load of other teams shelling goals and points, but it's hardly unreasonable to point out that our form, performance-wise is poor.

Some people are just so desperate to defend the manager that they'll bat away any criticism or discussion, even from people who say "he's doing a fine job, however..." Why contribute if you've nothing to say beyond "everything's perfect"?

With any luck, our rather porous (at the moment) will stop with Tiote's return, at which point we need to start creating more chances and getting goals from midfield. We'll never get a better chance than this to qualify for the Champions League, that's my take on it, and I think if we continue to perform like this we'll fall short - don't get me wrong, 5th, 6th, 7th would still be a great season but we've got all the pieces to make it an incredible one if we fit them together properly during the run-in.

What about Ba,Cisse,Cabaye and Tiote?

Not sure about QPR, a few close efforts from distance and maybe a chance wasted. On the whole pretty comfortable.

The rest I agree with.

The 'let our hair down' comment, to get whipped 5-0 to then be followed up with 'now the fans know why we have to play 451' really annoys, frustrates and worries me about him.

It's like he said, you want football do you? Here you go, oh now you see i was right were going to shut up shop for the rest of the season. Nobody asked him to let his hair down, in fact that should have been saved for Wolves, but likely doing that and winning well would mean he'd be forced to do it again.

Like people say, can't argue with the points total, but the way were playing we could lose the next 5-6 games on the spin and then there's nowt to hang on to.

The "let our hair down" comment was after results had fallen our way over the weekend of the Villa game. Surely it was a throwaway comment reflecting that we could go into the game without too much pressure?

The "let our hair down" comment was after results had fallen our way over the weekend of the Villa game. Surely it was a throwaway comment reflecting that we could go into the game without too much pressure?

Which resulted in humiliation. What mindset were the players in? On holiday?

The guy confuses me the more I think about him, just hope the players understand him better and eventually he knows best.

That's how most people interpreted it. In my mind, I saw it as "we'll have a good go at them and if we lose, ah well, c'est la vie" - of course this didn't happen. As a result he was criticised for the performance/lack of tactics (and the fact we didn't have a go at Spurs at all).

It resulted in our least effective performance of the season so far, it's not something a manager should ever say.

The 'let our hair down' comment, to get whipped 5-0 to then be followed up with 'now the fans know why we have to play 451' really annoys, frustrates and worries me about him.

It's like he said, you want football do you? Here you go, oh now you see i was right were going to shut up shop for the rest of the season. Nobody asked him to let his hair down, in fact that should have been saved for Wolves, but likely doing that and winning well would mean he'd be forced to do it again.

Like people say, can't argue with the points total, but the way were playing we could lose the next 5-6 games on the spin and then there's nowt to hang on to.

:thup: it's especially worrying that it was obvious he got it wrong from about 7 minutes into the match, yet he did nothing to change it and we only tried to change things with about 20 mins to go when it was far too late. The fact that he couldn't see what was right in front of his face and try and attempt a change is really odd. It's his main issue in that he can't respond to events happening on the pitch as well as he should.

Also a manager of his age and experience shouldn't give throwaway comments, especially that of the 451 thing. Its unprofessional, it felt to me like he was blaming us for demanding a certain strike partnership, though no one had even mentioned it.  Even more confusion is when he doesn't play HBA due to other absences from the team, which is fair enough, but put it all together and its a mixed messages.

:thup: it's especially worrying that it was obvious he got it wrong from about 7 minutes into the match, yet he did nothing to change it and we only tried to change things with about 20 mins to go when it was far too late. The fact that he couldn't see what was right in front of his face and try and attempt a change is really odd. It's his main issue in that he can't respond to events happening on the pitch as well as he should.

We've never really had a decent match-day manager, even Bobby was underwhelming in that area bar the odd stand out success and role of the magic dice.

The whole circus surrounding Harry was exceptional circumstances, but Pardew played right in to it, a team playing the best football in the division at home, on a massive high. The way we went it was so wrong i honestly think after 7mins he knew but didnt have 5 subs to sort it out, couldn't get the instructions out to the players who've set up differently and are currently in shock.