Milburn statue.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Guest thenorthumbrian

There's one thing that has irritated me over the last few years and that is the position of Jackie Milburns statue.

Why is it 100's of yards away from the stadium ?

Is it because that part of St James "boulevard"(boulevard - ugh) is called Milburn corner ? so what.

The statue should be right in front of the stadium - perhaps in front of Shearers bar.

If Ashley had one ounce of feeling for the club he could have arranged this and instead of the garish advert on the Gallowgate he could have had the club crest put up there.

He might have found he would not be hated as much as he is, would he even care. 

I agree.

Wasn't there supposed to be a Shearer/mIlburn statue being built?

The Milburn statue was going to placed outside of SJP, a Shearer statue was orderd to go along side it, Ashley came in and it never went ahead, I read recently that the guy asked to do the Shearer statue still has it.

There's one thing that has irritated me over the last few years and that is the position of Jackie Milburns statue.

Is it because that part of St James "boulevard"(boulevard - ugh) is called Milburn corner ? so what.

The statue should be right in front of the stadium - perhaps in front of Shearers bar.

If Ashley had one ounce of feeling for the club he could have arranged this and instead of the garish advert on the Gallowgate he could have had the club crest put up there.

It would be best placed on the corner of Barrack Road/Strawberry Place.

Guest NewBoyPeetah

Was it ever on Northumberland street?

How about a Sir Bobby one?

But I do agree with the original point that I'd like it closer to SJP.

If Ashley had one ounce of feeling for the club he could have arranged this and instead of the garish

They way that Ashley has dealt with KK, Shearer & Shay it is for the f***ing best that Jackie stays where he is.

Why is it 100's of yards away from the stadium ?Is it because that part of St James "boulevard"(boulevard - ugh) is called Milburn corner ? so what.

Didn't his ball keep getting nicked or something (come to think of it, that may have been when he was on Northumbreland Street)? Could have sworn that was why he was moved to the middle of nowhere. Was dead against it.

f*** that, we need a chrome Ranger statue.

:lol:

Seriously though I agree, my idea would to have statues of Milburn, Shearer, Sir Bobby and another (Moncur/Joe Harvey?) outside each corner of the ground. It would be expensive, but it would look good imo.

we should keep the statue where it is and have stars on the floor around it leading up to the stadium, with the name of legendary players on them. Like in Hollywood.  :snod:

That actually sounds like a pretty awesome idea to me!

The new Milburn and Shearer statues were supposed to be like this:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2rfufcl.jpg

Shearer was signalling in the box for a Milburn cross.

IIRC it was suppose to go outside Shearers bar, with Milburn at one  end and Shearer at the other. Would have looked great, shame.

However we can look forward to this:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2s7ucgg.jpg