Spurs vs Newcastle - Pre Match Thread - 28/12/10 3pm KO

JH

We didn't lose because of the system. We were the best team on the park for a good 60 minutes with 4-5-1.

We barely looked like scoring, though. Nolan was invisible and left Carroll isolated (yet he still did brilliantly with what he had). As soon as we went 4-4-2 we put them on the back foot and actually looked like making a game of it.

Surely you don't think this 4-4-1-1 business with Nolan in the hole is actually worth persisting with? You were dead against as far as I remember.

Krul

Simpson    Williamson  Coloccini    Enrique

Routledge    Barton      Tiote        Jonas

Ranger      Carroll 

Really didn't want to put Routledge there, but whats the alternative? Guthrie? Smith? We have a case of 'who is the least bad' here.

Definite defeat, without doubt. A miserable day.

Tottenham HateSpurs 3-0 Newcastle         

For all the possession we had in a 4-5-1, how many clear cut chances were created? Nolan as the 2nd striker is a waste of his talents and a waste of Carroll's aerial ability. Ranger on and suddenly we were so much more dangerous, more space up front, more energy etc.

"The system" definitely played its part today.

We didn't lose because of the system. We were the best team on the park for a good 60 minutes with 4-5-1.

We barely looked like scoring, though. Nolan was invisible and left Carroll isolated (yet he still did brilliantly with what he had). As soon as we went 4-4-2 we put them on the back foot and actually looked like making a game of it.

Surely you don't think this 4-4-1-1 business with Nolan in the hole is actually worth persisting with? You were dead against as far as I remember.

In general, yes. But against certain teams I think it's a decent option.

It's worth remembering that we don't really have a partner for Carroll, and we can't afford passengers/strikers who pose no threat against teams like City and Spurs.

In general, yes. But against certain teams I think it's a decent option.

It's worth remembering that we don't really have a partner for Carroll, and we can't afford passengers/strikers who pose no threat against teams like City and Spurs.

I agree, Nolan shouldn't play where he did today.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think we'll see

Krul

Simpson   Taylor    Coloccini    Enrique

Barton      Smith/Guthrie Tiote   Jonas

Ranger    Carroll   

Guest kingdawson

We have to attack Spurs, their defence is shocking.

Individually our defenders have been exceptional this season. Kaboul, Dawson, Gallas, and Bassong at cb have all been damn good but the way we play restricts us from keeping clean sheets. We attack even at 2-0. Trust me when i say sitting back is the way to get a result at the Lane. Hull, Stoke, Wolves and to a lesser extent Wigan have got results at the Lane playing like that but i genuinly can't think of a time in recent history where a team have got a result at the Lane playing an attacking game (except maybe Everton this season).

Will get stuffed we we need to have a go..

------------------Krul

Simo------Tayls------Colo------Jose

-----------------Tiote

------Bart-----------------Guth

Jonas---------------------------Ranger

----------------Carroll

Guest kingdawson

Btw do Collocini and Taylor/Williamson struggle against physical players or fast nippy strikers?

Physical

Hmmm don't even know if you can label Crouch as physical tbh. I might just be tempted to start Pav as he's usually quite good at the Lane (but utter shite away).

Btw do Collocini and Taylor/Williamson struggle against physical players or fast nippy strikers?

Physical

Hmmm don't even know if you can label Crouch as physical tbh. I might just be tempted to start Pav as he's usually quite good at the Lane (but utter shite away).

If I were you I'd start Pav, I would't label Crouch as physical either, could see Colo/Williamson handling him pretty easily. Pav on the other hand could cause some problems.