Stevenage 3 - 1 Newcastle Utd (FA Cup) - 08/01/11 - post match reaction from p34

Dave

I said I didn't give a toss about the loss but...

1) I work with a load of Stevenage mongs.

2) Tiote will be suspended.

3) We were absolutely abysmal, real hit and hope team from about 11 minutes in!

Ridicilous how lacking of ideas were are without Jonas and Enrique. I know Jonas is a bit 'Marmite' to some Newcastle fans, but the amount of possession he gives us and forward momentum (even if his final ball is often lacking) really makes a hell of a difference. People have been raving about Barton's performances this season, but in fairness a number of his assists have come from set-pieces and second phases of set-pieces won by Jonas. We all know in the team today there were players carried (Smith, Perch, even Best, Routledge and Lovenkrands) and that's what really worries me. We lose a couple of players and we struggle.

Saying that today, tactically, we got it all wrong. All season we've essentially played a high pressure kick and rush tactic. Some teams have dealt with it okay, others (Villa, WHam and to an extent Sunderland) have really struggled against it. For a League Two side it's a bread and butter tactic. Have we really not got the capabilities as side to build from the back? To pass it and work a team? Looking at some of our 'creative' players, such as Nolan, Barton and Routledge, I'd say simply - no, we haven't.

Let's be honest, it's a poor result but not the end of the world. But so many things were wrong today. The only positives I can hope for, is that some of the lesser players were found out today, Pardew now knows this, and can shift them on.

Ridicilous how lacking of ideas were are without Jonas and Enrique. I know Jonas is a bit 'Marmite' to some Newcastle fans, but the amount of possession he gives us and forward momentum (even if his final ball is often lacking) really makes a hell of a difference. People have been raving about Barton's performances this season, but in fairness a number of his assists have come from set-pieces and second phases of set-pieces won by Jonas. We all know in the team today there were players carried (Smith, Perch, even Best, Routledge and Lovenkrands) and that's what really worries me. We lose a couple of players and we struggle.

Saying that today, tactically, we got it all wrong. All season we've essentially played a high pressure kick and rush tactic. Some teams have dealt with it okay, others (Villa, WHam and to an extent Sunderland) have really struggled against it. For a League Two side it's a bread and butter tactic. Have we really not got the capabilities as side to build from the back? To pass it and work a team? Looking at some of our 'creative' players, such as Nolan, Barton and Routledge, I'd say simply - no, we haven't.

Let's be honest, it's a poor result but not the end of the world. But so many things were wrong today. The only positives I can hope for, is that some of the lesser players were found out today, Pardew now knows this, and can shift them on.

Very good post. :thup: Agree with every word of that.

strange that both newcastle and sunderland go out to lower league opposition when fielding quite strongish teams. almost as if both sets of players treat the games lightly until too late and were concious of bigger games to come in the more important competition.

Have not seen game or goals - not on Foxsport or ESPN over here.

Being in this season's FAC is not vital, but losing like this to a Lge 2 side is a disgrace. Clearly, Stevenage seemed to want it more than NUFC and we have lost one of our best players for a vital PL game next week,

It doesn't seem to matter how many years go by or which players wear the B&W strip, Newcastle United's capacity for humiliation at the hands of lower league sides remains the only consistent thing about the club.

Whilst this defeat is not as bad as, say, Hereford(a non-league side)in 1972 when we had on paper a much stronger side than the one that played yesterday, it still ranks among the worst in the club's history.

For a club which once had such a great reputation in this competition, NUFC are now a joke.

This result proves several things -

1. That most of the back-up players are not first team material - most of us knew that, but I bet one or two on here have had the scales lifted from their eyes about certain players - Krul and Williamson among them. The fact that the club's resources have been exposed in this way would, at some clubs, be a blessing because action would be taken to rectify matters. Unfortunately, I cannot see this bothering Ashley enough to get his hand in his pocket enough times....

2. The side have looked more stable at the back since Harper returned - proved in abundance yesterday by most accounts on here, and I wouldn't sell him at this time.

3. Tiote will be a HUGE miss, especially next week - as the Mackems also lost(and at home), they will be equally if not more determined to do us at the SOS and Tiote's midfield play in breaking down opposition attacks will be sorely missed ; I reckon we are more likely to lose this game now and I cannot imagine what Pardew was thinking about in playing him.

4. We face probably 3 seasons of struggle without major investment in the squad and results like this will continue to happen - look at the inconsistency of the results and it is clear that we are back to the situation we often faced in the 70s and which cost us silverware on at least one occasion. and that is having a decent first team(in those days, some really good players)but nothing in reserve whereas teams such as Leeds and Liverpool had a much better squad.

Campbell is now well past it, Williamson has major faults in his play(let's face it, he was a reserve at Pompey), Ranger is a player who looks as if he will not realize his potential because he doesn't have the mental strength, Perch is not a PL player, Lovenkrands also past it as is Smith and so the list goes on.

We will have a hell of a job to sort out this squad and more days like this lie ahead - even when we least expect them.

At least people will not have to face jibes from Mackem and Boro fans at work on Monday - what a great football hot-bed the NE is.....NOT !!

My record's canny this season like.

Got beat 4-0 at home to Arsenal.

Went to Birmingham, got called off.  I bought some lightbulbs at Birmingham Tescos like, but one of them is fucking shite.  We have unfinished business, Birmingham.

Game over after 6 or 7 minutes at home to Man City when we went 2-0 down.

Today.

For the record, today was fucking horrific like, it didn't even look like they were trying.

Out of the Cup already ffs. In a way the Tiote stuff was a welcome distraction for how much of a f***ing joke it is.

If I didn't laugh, I'd cry :lol: fucking pathetic. The way we went out. Didn't 'crash out' of the cup, it was more of a limp. A whimper.

Out of the Cup already ffs. In a way the Tiote stuff was a welcome distraction for how much of a f***ing joke it is.

If I didn't laugh, I'd cry :lol: fucking pathetic. The way we went out. Didn't 'crash out' of the cup, it was more of a limp. A whimper.

They were streets ahead of us all over the fucking park, that's the sickener.  We whacked the ball up to Andy Carroll.  Andy Carroll wasn't playing.  They played it on the deck and pissed all over us.  The best part of today was in the pub beforehand.  Fucking shite.

If I didn't laugh, I'd cry :lol: f***ing pathetic. The way we went out. Didn't 'crash out' of the cup, it was more of a limp. A whimper.

They were streets ahead of us all over the f***ing park, that's the sickener.  We whacked the ball up to Andy Carroll.  Andy Carroll wasn't playing.  They played it on the deck and pissed all over us.  The best part of today was in the pub beforehand.  f***ing s****.

And if you believe the pundits on ESPN, one of our coaches said that we thought they were going to hoof the ball up towards our defence, so we were prepared for something that they didn't even do. Good to see we did our fucking homework like.

Beat 3-1 by Stevenage man, even all the drink ive had doesnt make this more believable.

Some Stevenage lad in the pub asked me what I thought the score might be, I said "I dunno mate, 3-1?"  He said "Oh you reckon we'll beat you 3-1?"  I laughed in his stupid face.  Can't believe they actually beat us 3-1 ffs, fucking awful.

Guest Loven11

Obviously we were f***ing s*** yesterday and losing Tiote is a big blow. Should be beating them like but they wanted it more than us as it showed.

I'd rather beat the mackems than these though although it doesn't excuse the fact that the players didn't look up for it at all.

The players are getting blamed from me for this poor performance but some of the decisions Pardew made were poor too like Barton on the left ffs, he should have been on the right and Ferguson on the left, I'd have like to seen Kadar at LB instead of Perch.

Smith should go and I know some people slag Guti off at times but I wish he was playing yesterday instead of some of the other s***.

Yeah his crossing is s*** and shots aren't that good if he shoots at all but at least he runs at people more than others, any idea when Guti is back ? Hope he's back for the mackem match, if not then Ferguson should get a game on the left wing.

Hope Smith doesn't play against the mackems.

So against the mackems....would you guys want this midfield ? Instead of sticking Smith in there.

Routledge Barton Nolan Guti

or Guti on the right and Ferguson on the left ? just looking at possibilities.

Hope we can sign a few more players before that match anyway.

Hoping we have a signing in place and can go something like:

Larsson*  Barton  Nolan  Jonas

Carroll  Ameobi

Nolan would be even more of a passenger alongside Smith or Guthrie, and so Barton is our only option IMO.

I fully expect to see:

Routledge Barton Smith Jonas

Nolan

Carroll/Ameobi

though.

Awful match, was to the left of the stand n thought the support was good tbh, what are the lyrics to the "follow follow" song that went on the entire second half?

biggest defeat of the match was Tiote's red, which was ridiculous, but with all this "in this day and age" bollocks can't be surprised

We love you,we love you, we love you & that is why we follow, we follow, we follow,  cos we support the boro, the boro the boro & thats the way we like it, we like it, we like it awhooooooooowwwwwwaaahhhhhwwwwwoooooooooo

Why don't you fuck off you stevenage, baby at 13, tosser!

Thought you'd be pleased,  your local team won :)

Had we played some hungry young players like Vuckic, Kadar, Ferguson ect I'm pretty sure we'd have won the game.  Pardew doesn't seem to realise that its pretty hard to motivate first teamers to try hard against the likes of Stevenage.  Its even worse when the first team is so weakened to begin with that the first teamers become the likes of Smith and Perch.. they're terrible when motivated, when unmotivated they're tragic.

Couldn't believe the animosity from the Stevenage lot BTW.  What a load of freaks, we played them 13 years ago and they're still angry about it and shouting about "justice" ect :lol:

Very poor but with our left side lineup and Smith in the middle, not all that surprising. Front two struggled too, as did Ranger when he came on. We've had a good team spirit of late, but there was little of that on show and we were completely outfought.

Motm was the Scottish fella on the ESPN coverage who was adamant that the Tiote challenge wasn't a foul and that the new rules are a joke. Like many it seems, I'm more narked about any suspension there than the actual defeat.

A ban for Tiote possibly means we can't get rid of Alan Smith....

How f***ing pathetic was Pardew's post-match interview on ESPN!!! 4 or 5 players were running empty...what is squad rotation for in football then you moron??? Go and ask some Mr.Wenger. And to play long ball style against some League 2 opponent when our youth team is supposed to outpass them out of the f***ing stadium every day of the year!!! And how about that when he he was asked about "what did he say in the dressing room"? Utter bollocks. After that kind of a performance they needed a good old hairdryer treatment a la Fergie but it seems Pardew's juist another mr nice guy like Hughton was

Had to stop watching this humiliation after 2nd goal...

Hopefully this was a good learning experience for Pardew(but I highly doubt it because he wouldn't have done this in the first place if he knew).  :knuppel2: