Are we safe now? YES WE ARE!

oldtype

Home and dry. Was moderately concerned that there we could have been plummeting after that Stoke game, but today was huge. It wasn't only three points but it was a statement that we're far and above the relegation fodder. It was far from even being our strongest side.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Anyone know how many points we need for mathematically guaranteed safety?

I think 45/46 at this point.

Its not as simple as saying the botom 3 with 7 games left could in theory get 21 points as they have to play each other and those around the bottom

It would be a horrendous equation to work that out now but i reckon 45/46 points at this point is mathmatically safe

The bottom 3 have 21 points to play for so 53 is the highly unlikely maximum we'd need.

They all play each other so it wouldn't really be that high anyway.

The bottom 3 have 21 points to play for so 53 is the highly unlikely maximum we'd need.

They all play each other so it wouldn't really be that high anyway.

It would be if the highly unlikely occurred and West Ham or Wolves won every one of their last 7 games and the teams above them kept pace. There are too many games left to tell really though.

I think 45/46 at this point.

Its not as simple as saying the botom 3 with 7 games left could in theory get 21 points as they have to play each other and those around the bottom

It would be a horrendous equation to work that out now but i reckon 45/46 points at this point is mathmatically safe

I think we need that 45/46 points. Then we are safe.

A draw against Villa and win at Blackpool and I'll stop worrying.

I reckon we'd set ourselves up nicely to finish ahead of the mackems if we could get 4pts from the next 2 games.

Were 90% safe as it stands, before the wolves game I'd have said 50%, it's that close major swings will happen till the end of the season but for other clubs now and not us. 

Should we lose out - West Ham have 7 games to gain 7 points on us and overcome a 17 point goal difference.  Given their upcoming games + form,  they realistically have 4 games to gain 7 points and overcome what will then likely be a 20 point GD. 

And every team between us right now would also have to overtake us. 

Should we lose out.

Home and dry. Was moderately concerned that there we could have been plummeting after that Stoke game, but today was huge. It wasn't only three points but it was a statement that we're far and above the relegation fodder. It was far from even being our strongest side.

This.

Easy peasy. It was starting to get uncomfortable, but today was the reality check that - despite the frustrations - we were never going down. After all, this is a team with Coloccini, Barton, Enrique and Tiote (although not today). Its nice to be safe  O0

A draw against Villa and win at Blackpool and I'll stop worrying.

I reckon we'd set ourselves up nicely to finish ahead of the mackems if we could get 4pts from the next 2 games.

Were 90% safe as it stands, before the wolves game I'd have said 50%, it's that close major swings will happen till the end of the season but for other clubs now and not us. 

Agreed, wasn't feeling confident before today in general becuase of the run we were on but i think this is a key result today.

Despite Wigan, Blackburn, West Brom, Stoke, Villa and Birmingham all picking up points today, we ended up three points further away from the relegation zone than the start of the day.

Says all that needs to be said in this thread.

Despite Wigan, Blackburn, West Brom, Stoke, Villa and Birmingham all picking up points today, we ended up three points further away from the relegation zone than the start of the day.

No it doesn't - what if EVERY SINGLE TEAM wins EVERY GAME?!

Those double wins they award when the bottom teams play each other could be a bitch.

Those double wins they award when the bottom teams play each other could be a bitch.

Those devilish 6 pointers.

we dont look much safer than at the start thanks to brum and west brom. it's probable some of those below us will overtake us but how likely is it that enough will do it to send us down.

brum home game could have as much about it as todays if we get nowt from the next two which is very possible.