Newcastle United 1 - 1 Tottenham - 22/01/11 - post match reaction from p22

Dave

Frustrating that we have drawn another match after creating so many chances.

On the bright side its a good result consdering arguably our three best players (Ben Arfa, Carroll and Tiote) were all missing. However, it is clear that we need to buy another striker if we are going to push on in the next year.

Harper - 7

Enrique- 8

Coloccini - 9

Williamson - 7

Simpson - 7

Barton - 6.5

Guthrie - 6

Nolan - 6

Jonas - 9

Ameobi - 4

Best - 6

Lovenkrands - 5

Ranger - 6

Ameobi 4? Harsh.

Then again, I suppose we can always give him 2 scores for his 2 different personalities on the pitch. I'd give 8 to Shola and a 4 to Ameobi

Harper - 6. More miserable kicking.

Simpson - 7. Decent game, better defensively.

Williamson - 8. Thought he was brilliant at the back.

Coloccini - 9. Motm again, class performance in defense and attack.

Enrique - 7. Another decent game.

Barton - 6. Disappointing. That through ball to Lovenkrands was exceptional, though.

Nolan - 5.5. Really disappointing, tbh - Spurs midfield was all over him.

Guthrie - 7. Thought he had a decent game, nice assist too.

Jonas - 7. Ran all day and caused problems.

Best - 6. Never in it, bar the chance in the first half.

Ameobi - 6. Wasteful.

Ranger had a hat-trick in the ressies the other night. How that doesn't put him ahead of Lovenkrands is a mystery.

Probably because Lovelycakes has actually scored at this level. If he hadn't been selfish, he would have had another. It's a tough call.

With respect, it's not.

They say in football that luck evens itself out. Well considering over the last few montsh, the ridiculous amount of deflected goals we've conceded and now two last gasp equalisers, we're due a big frigging slice of it anytime soon.

If there's a game that Kevin Nolan clearly won't be any use in, it was this one.

Agreed, he really wasn't in it at all. Did his neat and tidy stuff, but to a minimum, and that was about his only contribution.

Ranger had a hat-trick in the ressies the other night. How that doesn't put him ahead of Lovenkrands is a mystery.

Probably because Lovelycakes has actually scored at this level. If he hadn't been selfish, he would have had another. It's a tough call.

Fair point. Still, where do you draw the line? When Lovenkrands is 38 and sweating dust?

They say in football that luck evens itself out. Well considering over the last few montsh, the ridiculous amount of deflected goals we've conceded and now two last gasp equalisers, we're due a big frigging slice of it anytime soon.

I'd say that some of the deflections is more the defenders giving the their team too much space rather than luck...

I do agree that some were flukey as fuck though.

Guest firetotheworks

Harper - 7

Enrique- 8

Coloccini - 9

Williamson - 7

Simpson - 7

Barton - 6.5

Guthrie - 6

Nolan - 6

Jonas - 9

Ameobi - 4

Best - 6

Lovenkrands - 5

Ranger - 6

Ameobi 4? Harsh.

Then again, I suppose we can always give him 2 scores for his 2 different personalities on the pitch. I'd give 8 to Shola and a 4 to Ameobi

That 'attempt' near the end is probably the most collectively diverse shit I've ever seen him produce, it was every definition of shit.

As annoyed as I am with the late goal, I'm not disappointed with that overall, mainly with the performance. I thought we played pretty well and on another day could have given them a bit of a kicking, for most of the first 3 quarters of the match we were the better team, but at the end we looked a bit desperate. If it's down to fitness then Pardew really needs to get that sorted out quick, but I reckon it's either an explicit tactic or it's some psychological thing because we've been doing it for years and they can't always have been unfit.

Ranger is so clearly better than Lovenkrands, Best and probably Shola, but he's a very young lad with everything to prove.

I've got no doubt that he'll go on to be much better than the three of them from what I've seen, but I can understand why we're easing him in slowly and playing more experience heads for most games. It's just how football works, unless you're a freak like Rooney.

If there's a game that Kevin Nolan clearly won't be any use in, it was this one.

Agreed, he really wasn't in it at all. Did his neat and tidy stuff, but to a minimum, and that was about his only contribution.

I thought he did really well after we scored, keeping it all going in midfield, keeping the Tempo up with Barton, getting stuck in...

Yeah, if he gets put under any pressure in open play, he tends to lose it.

He does complicate the decision by scoring all these goals though. Sod him.

Harper 7 - Didn't do much wrong, helpless for the goal.

Simpson 7 - Did well for the most part.

Williamson 7 - See Simpson.

Colo 9 - An absolute class apart.

Enrique 8 - The usual high class stuff from Jose.

Barton 6 - Decent first half, seemed to move central second and it went downhill from there.

Guthrie 6 - Alright, makes himself available and usually uses the ball well.

Nolan 5 - His poorest game in a while, looked tired.

Jonas 8 - His best game in ages, actually stuck some decent deliveries in.

Best 5 - Decent shift but rarely looked like scroing.

Shola 5 - See Best.

Ranger and Lovenkrands 5 - Both looked lively but fluffed great chances.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/187/explanationa.jpg

Perch is not in a good position either? Stood unmarked on the 6 yard box with a free pass ffs :lol:

He's coming in really fast, he'd not have composure to slot it in. You can't see that in the pic, though. :lol:

As annoyed as I am with the late goal, I'm not disappointed with that overall, mainly with the performance. I thought we played pretty well and on another day could have given them a bit of a kicking, for most of the first 3 quarters of the match we were the better team, but at the end we looked a bit desperate. If it's down to fitness then Pardew really needs to get that sorted out quick, but I reckon it's either an explicit tactic or it's some psychological thing because we've been doing it for years and they can't always have been unfit.

To be fair to our squad, most of them have played every game all season. Tottenham players have probably been rotated a lot more.

I wouldn't say anyone had a bad game. It also went to show team spirit and graft can counter so called better players on the day. At the start of the thread a lot of people thought we were going to get hammered. To be pissed off with a draw shows how we played.