Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thought he did ok last night all things considered. Neat and tidy and clearly has ability.

If he can play well for the rest of the season and the price/wages are modest then I'd be inclined to bring him in permanently. 

That's quite a jump!

He didn't do anything last night that Guthrie didn't/couldn't do. He'd have to show a lot more imo.

Watching Carrick (with the ball) do him for pace was slightly worrying.

Guest Heneage

Thought he did ok last night all things considered. Neat and tidy and clearly has ability.

If he can play well for the rest of the season and the price/wages are modest then I'd be inclined to bring him in permanently. 

That's quite a jump!

He didn't do anything last night that Guthrie didn't/couldn't do. He'd have to show a lot more imo.

It's his first game in 5 months, I think he looked tidy and was always wanting to go forward and penetrate their back line which is a refreshing change.

Give him the games left, full 90 minutes in each and against the weaker sides we should see what he is capable of.

You could clearly see he has an attackers mindset. Other than jonas, barely any of our players really go 'at' opposition players, committing men and scaring defences with clever throughballs.

I reckon he'll be good with a bit of fitness and the right mindset. Still, I'll wait until he's done something in the next few games to see if we should actually spend money on him.

That's quite a jump!

Not denying it would be a gamble and if Villa or Ireland want too much then I'd look elsewhere. Talented player, going cheap is our motto atm.

That's quite a jump!

He didn't do anything last night that Guthrie didn't/couldn't do.

Can't remember the last time Guthrie came close to scoring, personally.

That's quite a jump!

cant remember the last time guthrie played just off the front man (devils advocate)

some seem to be getting a little carried away at irelands performance which was nothing special.

That's quite a jump!

I can barely remember the last time he passed it forward....

Guest sicko2ndbest

Looked genuinely emotional in his NUFCTV interview with the crowds and managers reaction to him since he has been here

Guest andyburn

So he

`4-5-1 at Blackpool with Ireland off Ameobi.`

agree with that....start nolan on the bench?

So you'd start Guthrie ahead of Nolan? :lol:

's

#

So he'd start Ameobi ahead of anyone

Guest magpie99

Faking or not, for the last 12 months, he has been treated shabbily by both Mancini and Houlier so coming to a club where genuine concern and support for him is apparent, I am pretty sure he wants to do his best, not only for us, but for himself as we could be last chance saloon for him.

One consideration though. If Houlier has just had another heart attack, then he would be very unwise to stay in the job at Villa and his replacement manager at Villa might want to keep Ireland.

If we want him badly enough and he wants to sign, we might just be advised to get a deal done ASAP.

So he

's

#

So he'd start Ameobi ahead of anyone

I'd start Ameobi ahead of everyone, to be fair.

Clearly our best center forward at the moment, bone chilling a fact as that is.

The only positive from that game (actually Krul played well) but that was more down to the ineptitude of our own players, not him putting in a great shift. Looks confident on the ball and played some intelligent passes but he just never got into the game, probably because we never kept hold of it for long enough.

At this stage I wouldn't waste the cost of the ink if we got him for nothing.  If we are to play like we did for the rest of the season then I can't see him signing because the players around him will not help his cause.

You could have brought pretty much anyone on today for us and they'd have struggled to make any impact. He looked to get the ball forward with some urgency when he had it but just didn't see a lot of it. I'll reserve full judgement for another game though.

he looks tidy in possession, was a nice change today when he got the ball coz he was the only one not trying to beat every player by himself. with the exception of barton of course, who got the opportunity to knock it past the full back and shoot about 3 or 4 times but never bothered.