Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Today's Journal reckons Ireland is out for at least another fortnight meaning he's unlikely to face Wolves. The game after that is Villa which he will be ineligble for.

That will leave a whopping 6 games of the season left.

Fucking ridiculous, tbh.

Guest BooBoo

It really has become a wasted exercise because after such a lengthy period out its unrealistic to expect him to come in at 100% match fitness. Making any assessmnet this season on whether he's worthy of a permanent deal has now become almost impossible.

Guest Stephen927

Shame, was looking forward to seeing how he'd do, he's clearly got something a bit special about him. Other than his hair. Or his car.

It really has become a wasted exercise because after such a lengthy period out its unrealistic to expect him to come in at 100% match fitness. Making any assessmnet this season on whether he's worthy of a permanent deal has now become almost impossible.

I still wouldn't be surprised if we end up buying him. Working hard in training and 4 or 5 decent performances might be enough to sway the club if the fee is low enough.

I think its obvious Pardew wants to buy him.  Any games this season will help him bed into the squad and get settled.

Judging by comments in the press we aren't paying his wages until he plays as well.  I would have liked to have spent £35m in January but I don't see that much of a problem with the Ireland deal.

Has anyone got a link saying we are not paying the waste time? As I would Pards would have mentioned at least 25 times but I cant recall reading it once.

Can't find anything.

Has anyone got a link saying we are not paying the waste time? As I would Pards would have mentioned at least 25 times but I cant recall reading it once.

Can't find anything.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110202/boss-we-can-bring-the-best-out-of-stephen_2281670_2282678

"We have constructed a deal with Villa that makes sure he is fit to play, and in doing so we hope to bring him back to his best.

I read that to mean NUFC don't pay Ireland's wages until he is fit to play. Obviously we also don't play Ireland until he is fit so as to not send him back to Aston Villa crocked.

I was all in favour of this deal at the time because when he's fit he brings mobility, passing and goals, a combination which isn't found in many of our midfielders. That said I was hoping that he just needed a fresh challenge rather than being a precious twat who does all his talking from the sidelines. By the time he's fit (if ever) it probably won't matter.

It's a strange one like, to be fair when he was linked with Sunderland everyone was hoping he would sign for them due to the massive chance he will fail. So I'm not to bothered if he never plays for us to be honest. Although I think he could be good, theres more of  a chance he could be awful.

Guest VegasToon

I am resigned to the fact we will sign him permanently in the summer.  I just hope he gets better sooner than later.  He can be a very good player next year for us.  Even though I wish he was fit now.

This was always going to be a shit loan signing, I just hope that we don't compound the mistake of bringing him on loan by making the deal permanent.  The last transfer window was an absolute piss take by everybody at the club who played any part in it.